PDA

View Full Version : 300 Rodenstock S

Don Hall
28-Nov-2001, 13:28
Just a word or two of praise for SK Grimes. I recently purchased a Rodenstock Si ronar S 300 5.6. The lens takes 100mm filters !! No one makes them. Steve made m e a 100 to 67mm step down ring (nice work !!) so I can use my standard 67mm filt ers. Have plenty of image circle for all the movements I need. In my continued e ffort to wring all the quality I can out of 4X5, I thought I would try the big 3 00 and compare image quality to my two process lenses I have (Nikon 300m & Roden stock Apo Ronar). Results ? Just enough difference to convince myself to carry a roung an extra 2 pounds. A great lens.Don

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2001, 14:39
Of course they do. Heliopan makes them and Ken hansen just ordered some 10 minutes ago.

Heliopan also make brass step-up/down rings from 100mm. The most popular is 100 to 105mm.

Sal Santamaura
28-Nov-2001, 16:56
Isn't the Nikkor 300M a tessar formula, not a process lens?

Geoffrey_1456
28-Nov-2001, 17:33
Don,

I bet the difference(s) will be minimal, and your Nikkor might turned out better, due in part to the vibration caused by the two extra lbs of the beautiful Rodenstock Sironar-S beast. These two extra lbs will also be quite stressful to your 4x5 camera. This Rodenstock beauty is really meant for 8x10 format.

Bob,

Does Heliopan really make a 100mm-->67mm step-down ring? I wonder if they also make a 45mm-->52mm step-up (fine) ring.

Regards,

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2001, 19:46
"Does Heliopan really make a 100mm-->67mm step-down ring? I wonder if they also make a 45mm-->52mm step-up (fine) ring.

"

Can't tell you till next week as I am travelling but if you call and ask Dan Gray, the Product Manager for Heliopan, he can check and give you the catalog number. 800 735 4373

Don Hall
29-Nov-2001, 13:07
Geoffrey, it wasn't the camera it stressed, it was my wallet. Seriously, vibration does not appear to be a problem with my Linhof Tech IV. I don't know if the fact that it has a die cast body as opposed to machined metal has anything to do with it or not. I also use two RRS plates on the camera, one under the body and a long one under the bed. When useing the 300mm I use the bed plate and put the center of gravity directly over my ball head (Arca B1) I certainly would be hesitant about use of this lens on one of the lightweight "springy" monorails or a lightweight wooden field. I certainly would not use it on my Wista even if it would fit.And yes, the differences are small.Don