PDA

View Full Version : Lens Controls

Pawlowski6132
25-Sep-2009, 08:29
Sorry, I looked everywhere but couldn't find an answer to this simple question.

On both my lenses, there is a swtich that allows me to choose between "X", "M", "V".

What the heck is this for? I can't figure it out? Does it have anything to do with flash usage? If so, how does that work.

Again, I apologize for silly question, I'm sure.

Joe

Robert Hughes
25-Sep-2009, 08:37
"X" is for girlie shots - check with Frank P. for more information.
"M" is for movies - not applicable if you're shooting LF. Ignore this one.
"V" is for vertical - especially if you're rappelling down a cliff - very important!

Glad to help...

Pawlowski6132
25-Sep-2009, 08:40
"X" is for girlie shots - check with Frank P. for more information.
"M" is for movies - not applicable if you're shooting LF. Ignore this one.
"V" is for vertical - especially if you're rappelling down a cliff - very important!

Glad to help...

Really??

Robert Hughes
25-Sep-2009, 08:44
Not really - they're flash sync controls:

"When using electronic (Xenon bulbs - hence the 'X') flash, the shutter trips open as normal since the electronic flash is very quick.

"When using 'manual flash' - M - with those traditional blue, metal wool-filled bulbs, the shutter must delay opening until the flash output of the bulb reaches maximum brightness (something in the order of 5-20milliseconds = 1/200th to 1/50th sec delay)."

Anyone up on the "V" setting?

Pawlowski6132
25-Sep-2009, 08:50
Not really - they're flash sync controls:

"When using electronic (Xenon bulbs - hence the 'X') flash, the shutter trips open as normal since the electronic flash is very quick.

"When using 'manual flash' - M - with those traditional blue, metal wool-filled bulbs, the shutter must delay opening until the flash output of the bulb reaches maximum brightness (something in the order of 5-20milliseconds = 1/200th to 1/50th sec delay)."

Anyone up on the "V" setting?

Thanx Robert. I had a feeling you might be kidding.

;)

Ok, so that 's what I thought but, now a few follow up questions:

1. So, leave it on X when shooting under normal natural lighting conditions?
2. If I do decide to shoot with some modern "Xenon" flashes, what is the sync nechanism since there isn't a sync terminal on the lens. Or, is there? There is a very, very small cylinder on the lens that I can't figure out what it is. Could this be where I connect a normal PC Sync cable??
3. OK, so, if I leave it on X for normal natural light situations AND if I"m using a flash, what is the lens doing differently??
4. I wonder what V is for?

Math
25-Sep-2009, 09:10
V should be the selftimer, but I forgot what the exact word is that starts with V, it was german, that I remember...
The small cylinder is indeed where you'd attach a PC sync cable.

Pawlowski6132
25-Sep-2009, 09:25
V should be the selftimer, but I forgot what the exact word is that starts with V, it was german, that I remember...
The small cylinder is indeed where you'd attach a PC sync cable.

OK, I did find out that V is for self timer.

But still wondering about questions 1 & 2 I have.

thanx much
Joe

BrianShaw
25-Sep-2009, 09:31
Math answered your question 2.

As for question 1, it really doesn't matter. I leave my shutters set to X whenever possible becuase there are fewer parts moving htat way. But if hte shutter is in good operating condition it really doesn' matter.

BrianShaw
25-Sep-2009, 09:32
Glad to help...

That was HILARIOUS, Robert!

Pawlowski6132
25-Sep-2009, 09:40
K, I think it's sinking in... (a little thick here, sorry)

X = Xenon Flash OR Normal
M = "Old Style" Flash ONLY
V = Self Timer

Thanx everyone.

Steven Barall
25-Sep-2009, 11:09
Are you sure that X isn't for girlie shots?

Pawlowski6132
25-Sep-2009, 11:12
Are you sure that X isn't for girlie shots?

Definitely not. I shoot all my girlie shots in natural light.

Pawlowski6132
25-Sep-2009, 11:14
And, FWIW, I was getting a bit confused becasue I'm used to thinking of the concepts of flash and synch speed in terms of focal shutter planes where there is a max synch speed for flash unlike the lens shutters.

Duh.

BrianShaw
25-Sep-2009, 13:10
Yup, the concept of synch speed is different between FP and leaf shutters. But if you think you have resolved all confusion... stick around, there is always more confusion to be resolved!

BTW, M is for one particular class of flash bulb - the class M, with 20ms burn to peak time - like Nr 25, Nr 5, or Nr 11; not all flashbulbs ever made. And while the Class M bulbs will "synch" at any speed, the amount of light getting to the film will vary depending on the shutter speed used. See... there's an opportunity for more confusion. :)

Peter K
25-Sep-2009, 13:45
It's "Vorlaufwerk" (Self-timer), a word I only know from leaf-shutters. :D

Peter

Ernest Purdum
25-Sep-2009, 16:19
In German or English, self-timers are hazardous. They can freeze up a shutter which is otherwise working fine.

If a shutter does hang up, sometimes holding it with all your fingers around the edge and rotating it until you think your arm may fall off can free it up.