PDA

View Full Version : Mytol: Where to buy Sodium Ascorbate

Arthur Nichols
22-Sep-2009, 07:29
I am out of sodium ascorbate for mixing mytol. I initially purchased it from Artcraft chemicals but the quantity is kind of small and I went through it pretty fast. I see that vitamin shops are selling sodium ascorbate in 3 lb containers. Can I use this? Is there any difference?
Thanksin advance.
Art

Paul Hamann
22-Sep-2009, 07:37
You could call Mike at Artcraft and get a quote for a larger quantity.

Salty
22-Sep-2009, 11:24
I am out of sodium ascorbate for mixing mytol. I initially purchased it from Artcraft chemicals but the quantity is kind of small and I went through it pretty fast. I see that vitamin shops are selling sodium ascorbate in 3 lb containers. Can I use this? Is there any difference?
Thanksin advance.
Art

It's a spice you can find at a lot of place online. It's also used when making sausages.
Try Sodium erythorbate, it's the same thing, different name. The Great American Spice Company has 16oz for $7.58

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
22-Sep-2009, 12:02
I have used food grade USP sodium ascorbate for Mytol and have not noticed any difference between it and the much more expensive ACS reagent grade.

Arthur Nichols
22-Sep-2009, 13:20
Jason, Where do you buy yours?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
22-Sep-2009, 13:27
I bought a 3lb container from an on-line vitamin store. I can't remember which one.

Arthur Nichols
22-Sep-2009, 15:00
thanks

nolindan
23-Sep-2009, 07:56
You can also make up Sodium Ascorbate from Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) and Sodium Bicarbonate: 1 part VitC to 2 parts S. Bicarb by weight; a ratio of 84:176 for the retentive; 1 tsp VitC to 2 tsps baking soda for the cooks among us.