PDA

View Full Version : How to solve this!!

GOLDFISH
22-Sep-2009, 04:19
am really confused with jobo 4x5 reel"2509n" ..it comes with 2 holders"the manual says After the reel has been loaded,the holders click into place when fully seated" & It's very difficult to insert them in the darkness ..Iv'e tried to develop 6 sheets using the reel without these holders and it seems that sheets are moving and two sheets came with strange black wide line in the middle .

Nick_3536
22-Sep-2009, 04:44
The parts are supposed to improve chemical flow. The film should hold in place without them.

If you insert the things a few times in daylight inserting them in the darkness gets easier. It's no different then anything else. Do it often enough and it'll seem easy.

Can you post a scan of the bad negatives? I'm guessing it's not the reels.

Joanna Carter
22-Sep-2009, 04:53
am really confused with jobo 4x5 reel"2509n" ..it comes with 2 holders"the manual says After the reel has been loaded,the holders click into place when fully seated" & It's very difficult to insert them in the darkness ..Iv'e tried to develop 6 sheets using the reaal without these holders and it seems that sheets are moving and two sheets came with strange black wide line in the middle .
There are three "pips" on each end spiral; one trick is to feel for the centre pip on one of the end spirals and tuck one end of the plate under that, then simplyc close the other end into the other end spiral until it clicks over the other centre pip.

But, as Nick suggests, use some gash film and practise in the light.

GOLDFISH
22-Sep-2009, 13:20
Thanks for responding ,I really appreciated,I've got 2 sheets to show what I meant by "black wide line in the middle and right side of the sheet ,it could be light leak ?"The fist sheet was not exposed and you can notice a big line in the middle as well as the second one

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31441&stc=1&d=1253650601

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31442&stc=1&d=1253650663

GOLDFISH
24-Sep-2009, 07:46
once again & I hope that someone can help after seeing the pics .thanks

77seriesiii
2-Oct-2009, 23:46
Goldfish, the lighter area looks like it wasnt developed correctly. I couldnt see where the light area made it all the way to the edge (maybe I missed it?) to be a normal film holder light leak. However, check your darksides for cracks just to make sure. On the development issue: I use a combi for 4x5 work and about 1% of the time the film doesnt stay in the track I put it in...that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :D However, when said wayward film plates emerge from development they show similar signs when they bend go in contact with another plate and no developer hits the emulsion. IF you are using a combi, practice practice practice loading the plates. Tray development will probably eliminate some of your development issues but will require practicing of a different nature. BTZ tubes are another alternative.

good luck

Erick

EDIT: Ok so re-read OP and noticed Reel development. that definitely looks like development issues and not going on the reel correctly and the emulsion bending/contacting another film plate. Definitely need to practice loading the reel.

John Cahill
3-Oct-2009, 09:36
am really confused with jobo 4x5 reel"2509n" ..it comes with 2 holders"the manual says After the reel has been loaded,the holders click into place when fully seated" & It's very difficult to insert them in the darkness ..Iv'e tried to develop 6 sheets using the reel without these holders and it seems that sheets are moving and two sheets came with strange black wide line in the middle .
The advice to practice loading in the daylight is good advice. Do the practice with your eyes closed. Then, after gaining facilitywith the loading process, go back to the darkroom. When loading in the dark, keep your eyes closed. Believe it or not, it shall help you "visualize" what you are doing.

ki6mf
3-Oct-2009, 13:17
In the USA you could also spend $75.00 for a "toy" night vision goggles from Jakks Pacific. They are ugly, fragile and appear to work. Dont drop them of else!!

http://www.jakks.com/eyeclops

Assuming there is some light to modify this would let you see if the film is loading properly in the Jobo reel.

Alternatives are to use HP Combi tanks, which is what I use, or Yankee Daylight ( I don't recommend the Yankee Tanks and I do have two of them)

GOLDFISH
4-Oct-2009, 07:20
Many thanks for all responses .it's Really helping .

Lachlan 717
4-Oct-2009, 14:50
Make sure that you've got the thing around the right way.

First, it goes with the pointy middle bit of the insert facing in (i.e. so that the "4x5" logo is facing out).

Second, there is a triangular slot on this insert that a little nipple on the reel fits into. This nipple is located at the opening of the outermost film slot. (This acts as a pivot point to allow the insert to scoop up chemicals as the tank rotates).

I place the insert on the edge of the reel on the film side of the slots and slide it around the reel. As it gets to the film slots, it just drops in.

Hope that this helps.

Lachlan.

hka
8-Oct-2009, 03:36
when inserting a sheet move this to the end of each slot then it's fixed by the some cams inside the grooves.