PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Cibachrome question

NasT
20-Sep-2009, 15:21
Hi all,

I've done some BW developing with succesn but now I've been trying to develop some cibachrome pictures, but they all turn out grey. What I'm a doing wrong? I'm not getting any colours.

I have a dia and I prepared the solutions like indicated on the kit (P30p). I've respespected the times and temperatures. I've developed the pictures in a developing dish, not a drum. I can see the pictures, but it just grey :confused:

Who can help me out? I must be missing something obvious here...

Thx in advance

Tamara

Filmnut
20-Sep-2009, 16:52
Any possibility of posting some pictures? Its' hard to say without seeing the image.
One thing that I wonder about is temp. You said that you've respected the time and temps, and I believe you, but in a tray (dish?) the temp can change quite rapidly, depending on how close the ambient temp is to the temp of the chem. I use a an outer, larger tray to slow down the shift, and sometimes use a heater to bring the room temp up, if nec, still not an optimum situation, but it helps.
Agitation is important also, are you swilling it around in the tray, or letting it sit there?
Keith

percepts
20-Sep-2009, 17:45
Hi all,

I've done some BW developing with succesn but now I've been trying to develop some cibachrome pictures, but they all turn out grey. What I'm a doing wrong? I'm not getting any colours.

I have a dia and I prepared the solutions like indicated on the kit (P30p). I've respespected the times and temperatures. I've developed the pictures in a developing dish, not a drum. I can see the pictures, but it just grey :confused:

Who can help me out? I must be missing something obvious here...

Thx in advance

Tamara

What safe light were you using and how were you framing the image on the baseboard?

Gem Singer
20-Sep-2009, 18:26
Are you saying that you are attempting to print a B&W negative using Cibichrome chemicals?

If so, of course it would turn out grey.

NasT
20-Sep-2009, 22:56
Hi all,

first of all, the dia was color, so the negative wasn't BW :-)

I made all the baths at 27°C and kept them warm, there is a heating in the room. I agited a bit, but didn't know it was necessary. The thing that worries me most is that I didn't get any color at all :-(

The picture I made has some reflection, so I hope you can see it (boy sitting at a computer).

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8163/img0325.jpg

Greg Gibbons
20-Sep-2009, 23:12
Are your chemicals all fresh?

dsphotog
21-Sep-2009, 01:33
Are your chemicals all fresh?
And how old is the paper? If it's labeled as Cibachrome it's rather old...
Its been called Ilfochrome for quite some time.

Gem Singer
21-Sep-2009, 06:17
I can see color on your picture.

Appears to be badly fogged paper.

Could be safelight fog, but more than likely its outdated.

Also, what is a "dia"?

percepts
21-Sep-2009, 06:31
dia is diapositive = colour slide or chrome or whatever else you happen to call your transparency.

Brian Ellis
21-Sep-2009, 08:49
What color head are you using and what are the settings on it (you do have a color head on your enlarger, right)?

percepts
21-Sep-2009, 13:51
that image you posted is a negative image. Was the print actually like that or did you reverse it when you scanned or posted it? If the print is actually like that, then I would suggest you are not using ilfochrome paper assuming you are using the correct chemicals.

NasT
23-Sep-2009, 14:01
hello, I've been really busy with work, so sorry for the late reply and thx for all the help.

I've been using ilfochrome paper, I'm sure and I've unsealed the box myself. I must admit that the paper and the chemicals are outdated, so maybe that the reason. I've got quite some experience with outdated polaroid material and that worked quite well, so maybe I've been too enthousiastic thinking this would work too.

To colors you do see on the picture are not from developing, but from the really bad iphone camera, so aren't on the real picture.

I've been using a colour enlager head, because before I put my paper under the lamp I can see the picture in color on the board, so I guess that's ok :-)

I know that maybe the chemicals or paper isn't good anymore, but I expected to get some color, even if they were just shifted, but I just get this grey looking picture.

For the projector head I used the numbers indicated on the paper box from ilfochrome.

Maybe an interesting fact: the picture develops as a negative, so if you look at the picture: the boy's hair are a light color on the developped picture while in the real picture these are black and his skin and hands are dark, while these should be 'white'. And that's also what percepts said, but i can't see what I'm doing wrong. I will make some photo's of the products as soon as I have the time.

Kind regards, Tamara

dsphotog
23-Sep-2009, 14:16
It looks like maybe the developer is partially working, (enough to make a somewhat visible image).
But the bleach isn't working, it has to remove all of the unused dyes.(Thats why it's looking so dark).

Drew Wiley
23-Sep-2009, 16:05
Once Ilfochrome is taken out of cold storage it has a relatively limited shelf life. The
chemical keep better until they are actually mixed, then the bleach and dev must be used promptly. Your supplies are probably way too old.