PDA

View Full Version : Europe?

Ash
20-Sep-2009, 11:02
I'm looking to get an Interrail pass and travel around Europe next month. Sadly I don't think I'll have space in my bag for 5x4, and I'll probably take my Hasselblad instead.

The idea being I only travel with a backpack with a couple changes of clothes and a camera, travel light. I've signed up to couchsurfers to see about free places to stay also.

Are there any European members close (or in) major european cities who would be up for a drink or a hello? I daren't invite myself into anyone's homes but cheap or free accommodation is next on my list of desires.

Who here is based in Europe? Maybe I'll stop by and say hello on the way!

Donald Miller
20-Sep-2009, 12:31
I'm looking to get an Interrail pass and travel around Europe next month. Sadly I don't think I'll have space in my bag for 5x4, and I'll probably take my Hasselblad instead.

The idea being I only travel with a backpack with a couple changes of clothes and a camera, travel light. I've signed up to couchsurfers to see about free places to stay also.

Are there any European members close (or in) major european cities who would be up for a drink or a hello? I daren't invite myself into anyone's homes but cheap or free accommodation is next on my list of desires.

Who here is based in Europe? Maybe I'll stop by and say hello on the way!

I spend about half of the year in Milano, Italy...however I won't be returning until the last of November. It would be fun meeting if I were there. Enjoy your time.

Donald Miller

Renato Tonelli
20-Sep-2009, 12:33
Too bad you won't be traveling in the Summer... I am usually in Italy (Tuscany) in July-Aug.

cjbroadbent
20-Sep-2009, 14:11
Ash, What about a Bessa III or a Makina. The Hasselblad weighs even more than a 4x5 with readyloads. Anyway, I'm in Milan and would look forward to meeting you.

Ash
20-Sep-2009, 14:18
Donald/Renato shame I'll be missing you!

Christopher, it would be nice to meet up if I can get to Milan along the way.

As for choice of blad, it's because it's the highest quality and most convenient to shoot with - I don't have cash to buy a Bessa III (as much as I'd love one) or a Makina. With the blad I can shoot portraits consistent with most of my recent work (in an effort to maintain a style or at least formatting).

I'll also be taking along my Zeiss Nettar 515, which my great uncle took around Europe at least once. I'd like to take the Razzle, but once you add on film holders, boxes, film and processing, it's a lot more convenient to shoot 120, as it's only £1.50 per roll for development and I have maybe 60 rolls of colour neg next to me!

csant
21-Sep-2009, 03:31
Guess you are not going as far north as Norway?

Emil Schildt
21-Sep-2009, 12:09
Guess you are not going as far north as Norway?

that's even further away than my home - which is close to the end of the world.....

Anyway, you'd be welcome. (NOT close to any large cities, but as said, close to the end of the world...)

Ash
21-Sep-2009, 12:18
I may be going to Norway, as I have a friend over there, two in fact... so it's possible. It'd be great to have a few places along the way if I went that far North, as it will be a big detour!

Denmark would be nice as well - I'm happy to lose the big cities to see more 'real' life Gandolfi :)

adrian tyler
21-Sep-2009, 13:04
give us a buzz if you'r in the centre of madrid, too many "friends of friends" horror stories to offer you the couch, but count on tea, tapas and a good crack if we coincide.

Ash
21-Sep-2009, 13:40
Thanks Adrian, I'll let you know if I make it that far west.

I'll be going to Norway to Larvik to see one friend, and somewhere else to see another friend too....so a place in Denmark and another place along the way in Norway would be great :)

Emil Schildt
21-Sep-2009, 16:38
Thanks Adrian, I'll let you know if I make it that far west.

I'll be going to Norway to Larvik to see one friend, and somewhere else to see another friend too....so a place in Denmark and another place along the way in Norway would be great :)

from Larvik you can take the ferry to "Hirtshals" here in Denmark - only about half an hour by train to my place... ("Vrå")

Santo Roman
21-Sep-2009, 16:58
Ash,

I leave for Rome on October 2nd. Should be there around the later part of the 3rd. We can meet up if you would like. Also...I would skip the rail pass. Sometimes the long lines to use the pass are strange. In order to use the rail pass you will need to wait in line and speak to the teller. If you just walk up to the kiosk, you can ge the ticket and go. At least it was like that last year for my wife and I and the last few times I was in Italy.

Santo

csant
21-Sep-2009, 22:41
Ash, most welcome to give me a buzz when you are in Oslo!

Emmanuel BIGLER
22-Sep-2009, 00:42
Hello from France !

I live in Besançon, France, close to Switzerland.
I'd be glad to meet somebody from this forum in person.
Besançon is located 2-1/2 hours from Paris by high-speed train (TGV) through Dijon (the mustard city in Burgundy) and Dole.

If you consider travelling to or through Switzerland, you'll discover how dense the Swiss railway network can be, since the remotest Swiss mountain village is connected either by train or by the Postal Bus to the main network. Moreover touristic steam trains are quite popular in Switzerland, if you are interested.

France still maintains some nice mountain railways, but they tend to vanish those days. I have in mind a few spectacular lines in the Jura, in the Alps and Massif Central if you are interested.

There is a not-so-spectacular regional train line but offering an interesting travel from Besançon (France) to Neuchâtel (Switzerland) through Morteau (F) and La Chaux de Fonds (CH) in the Jura range.

As far as European timetables are concerned, I am a fan of the German web server, you find everything there, it is capable of finding more connections than the French SNCF server, it gives you precise data on how to connect different Parisian trains stations, etc... I use if for all my train planning in France:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

The same but in plain ASCII format (my favourite), simple, fast, efficient, no bells, no whistles:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/el

More information upon request and enjoy your travel by train !
--
Emmanuel

Ash
22-Sep-2009, 00:51
Gandolfi I'm going to secure a rough (contradiction? :) ) itinerary, but chances are I see Denmark before I see Norway, so it would be nice to detour to see you on the way to the coast.

Santo that would be good! I want to hit Rome to find the little street that has a curios shop called Polvere Di Tempo. I visited it maybe 4 years ago now, and by then on my journey I'll need a new leatherbound journal!

http://www.polvereditempo.com/index1.html

Csant will do :)

Emmanuel, hope to see you too! I'll have a look at pricing, but I plan to do a lot of traveling so I was expecting the interrail to save me money somewhere along the line ;)

Ole Tjugen
22-Sep-2009, 04:00
If you do come to Norway, let me know when you are in Bergen. Not coming here when you are in Norway would be a serious mistake. :D

Frank Petronio
22-Sep-2009, 05:08
Leave the Blad at home safe, they are too delicate to be backpacking cameras. Just bring a cheap vintage 120 folder and a 35mm and SHOOT more. Just my uninvited two cents -- you'll probably wreck the Blad or get it ripped off, so leave it home or pawn it.

csant
22-Sep-2009, 05:17
Ole, Ash - or we could arrange to meet somewhere half-way, like on Hardangervidda? Some nice cabins to stay up there, and a spectacular nature... :)

toyotadesigner
22-Sep-2009, 15:00
I'm not sure if your Interrail covers Spain, but if you should happen to head to Granada just drop me a mail or give me a call (mobile phone # is on my web site).

Emil Schildt
22-Sep-2009, 15:07
Gandolfi I'm going to secure a rough (contradiction? :) ) itinerary, but chances are I see Denmark before I see Norway, so it would be nice to detour to see you on the way to the coast.

If you're travelling up through Denmark to get to Norway, then the trains always stops here in Vrå...
From Hirtshals you can get to Larvik, and from Frederikshavn there are also boats to Norway....

Ash
26-Sep-2009, 11:17
I've started another thread with details here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=54009