PDA

View Full Version : Camera Choices

meakai
18-Sep-2009, 13:04
I'm looking to buying my first LF camera. Although I have my eye on an Ebony 45s, the cost is still kind of steep for me. As an alternative, I'm thinking of buying a less expensive camera and putting more money in the lens. Is this a sensible direction to go? What cameras would you recommend?

MITCH FALK
18-Sep-2009, 13:08
Toyo 45aii

Glenn Thoreson
18-Sep-2009, 13:37
I commend you on your way of thinking. The best thing to do is research what's out there very carefully before you buy. At today's prices I would recommend a used camera from a reputable dealer such as KEH.com. Good choice for lenses, too. Their condition ratings are very conservative and you are sure to get what you pay for. Often more. Any camera can make a good photograph. Don't get caught up in glitz. Decide what you need for your way of working and then shop till you drop. It will pay. :D

ki6mf
18-Sep-2009, 14:15
Agree with Glenn Thorseon about Keh.com better prices than E Bay. I tend to buy their Bargain grade of lenses as these have been of excellent quality. Used View Cameras with a rail are as low as $115.00 Last time I looked. A Wista type of field camera can be had for around $600 and up. A new Shen Hao comparable to the Wista can be had for $650 from Badger or Mid West Photo. Used film holders bought locally (Boston) can be purchased for 10-12 if in bulk!

John Kasaian
18-Sep-2009, 14:36
I'm looking to buying my first LF camera. Although I have my eye on an Ebony 45s, the cost is still kind of steep for me. As an alternative, I'm thinking of buying a less expensive camera and putting more money in the lens. Is this a sensible direction to go? What cameras would you recommend?

It is a very sensible direction to go. What type of cameras are you considering? Wooden? Monorail? Press?

rugenius
18-Sep-2009, 14:39
Sounds like you are steering towards 4x5" format.
There is a wealth of options.
Is this film format driven?
Or,... is the decision is dictated by camera size, weight, etc,..?
Ask yourself how important weight is as applied to the picture taking environment you anticipate.
Example: Backpacking/ field versus studio/indoors/staged.
Pending environment, you might ask yourself what movement would be necessary to accomplish the specific workflow.
Who knows? You might even find that a press camera covers all of your expectations in 4x5....

If you are new to the LF camera, consider most cameras have plenty of movement to cover a wide range of situations.
Once you are comfortable with the basic construct of film format and primary photgraphic environment,... Ensure the movement is commensurate with your anticipated optics...
Consider the type of lenses you desire.
I.E. the anticipated limits of wide angle or telephoto.
Choosing lenses is a whole other discussion....
Don't forget to consider lens size weight if your quest is portability...
Different cameras are better suited in either direction although some have a vast range.

Another typical decision is Metal versus Wood or composite.
Generally, the material doesn't dictate the stability or precision,... the manufacturer does.
Traditional cast metal may tend to be a bit heavier.
Heavier can lend to stabiltiy,...but there are lightweight cameras that are very sturdy and field worthy.

Lastly, I would think a premium camera in good to excellent condition (Ex: Ebony, Linhoff, Canham, Sinar, Etc,...) can be had for close to what it cost for less exotic cameras that are new.
Having said that,... you tend to get what you pay for!
If it's too good to be true it probably is.

My wife and I just purchased a used Chamonix Black Walnut/ Titanium finish 045N.
The camera is BETTER than I anticipated for utility, weight, and precision.
It get my vote for excellent value ultra-field type 4x5

My 2 cents,
Bill

William McEwen
18-Sep-2009, 14:52
My first 4x5 was a Sinar Alpina. You couldn't ask for a better camera. Had I not sold it to facilitate my move up to 8x10, I would still have it. And if I wanted to shoot 4x5 again (a possibility) I would get another.

pocketfulladoubles
18-Sep-2009, 15:13
I would buy the cheapest 4x5 monorail you can find that is in working condition along with a cheap lens. Use it for a month or two to get the feel for operating the movements and working with the film. Make sure large format is practical for you and that you enjoy it. Then, get the camera you need or really want and either sell or stash the other.

meakai
18-Sep-2009, 15:38
It is a very sensible direction to go. What type of cameras are you considering? Wooden? Monorail? Press?

Probably wood for weight. Non-folding for convenience. probably 40% field and 60% around the house.

meakai
18-Sep-2009, 15:43
Thanks. I heard good things about the chamonix too. I also think what you said about "Lastly, I would think a premium camera in good to excellent condition (Ex: Ebony, Linhoff, Canham, Sinar, Etc,...) can be had for close to what it cost for less exotic cameras that are new.
Having said that,... you tend to get what you pay for!" is very valid and worth considering.

Bill

meakai
18-Sep-2009, 15:45
Thanks. I'll definitely look into KEH.

Bill

meakai
18-Sep-2009, 15:47
I considered this as well, but decided to take a workshop instead before I by a camera. Thanks.
Bill

pattinsonrobert
18-Sep-2009, 21:56
Hi Everyone..

I am newbie here and I need some suggestions from you guys.
I have an acquaintance that really loves M42 screw-mount cameras & is trying to get me interested in them as a low-cost alternative to Pentax K-mount & digital cameras..
I know nothing about these cameras..Of the available cameras on the used market today, which ones have the best reputation for reliability, durability, & functionality?..Which are the most popular, which I realize might not translate into the previous three qualities..Which do you use & why..Can I assume that if I purchase any of these older cameras that a CLA is in order?..

Thanks for your input..

Steve Barber
19-Sep-2009, 06:50
I am an expert on large format M42 screw mount cameras and I will be happy to answer your questions regarding them. I charge $360.00 per hour, or any fraction thereof, for my time spent in doing research and preparing reports and I will be happy to do one for you.

If you want a detailed, comprehensive answer to your questions, specifically regarding large format M42 screw mount cameras, please send me your details in a private message giving your full name, address, bank name and location and account number, social security number and your telephone and fax numbers. When I receive these, I will immediately respond with my PayPal account for your use in making payment for the initial 1 hour minimum charge for my time in the amount of $360.00 and subsequent installments as the work progresses.

John Kasaian
19-Sep-2009, 06:56
Not to upset Steve's rice bowl or anything but you question would probably be better asked over at APUG---they work cheaper over there! :)

Acheron Photography
19-Sep-2009, 12:15
Agree with Glenn Thorseon about Keh.com better prices than E Bay.

I wouldn't. I know many people have had reasonable experiences with Keh, but mine was horrid. The customer service was awful, the lens arrived with bent aperture lever, and the lack of caps (in a lens costing more than $600) struck me as just plain mean. My experience is that if you are willing to work at ebay, and leave the things that don't make sense, you can get a _much_ better deal that at Keh.

David.

Robert Hughes
21-Sep-2009, 19:23
If you just want to try out 4x5, you can find an old press camera like a Speed Graphic. My Busch Pressman is pretty plain, but it sets up fast and takes fine images - even hand held!

Bruce Barlow
22-Sep-2009, 03:41
I would buy the cheapest 4x5 monorail you can find that is in working condition along with a cheap lens. Use it for a month or two to get the feel for operating the movements and working with the film. Make sure large format is practical for you and that you enjoy it. Then, get the camera you need or really want and either sell or stash the other.

I agree...mostly.

You may want a field camera for it's lighter weight. They're available inexpensively, too.

Keep it and use it hard until you find something it can't do that you really need to do. Then find the camera that does.

I've had my Wista for 25 years, and I added to the fleet when I wanted to make 8x10 negatives. Otherwise, the Wista does all that I need to do.

Ivan J. Eberle
22-Sep-2009, 06:22
Prices on used gear are ridiculously cheap right now.

Reserve any serious money for lenses at first, to determine which focal lengths you want or need to have in your arsenal. The decision to buy a particular camera sometimes precludes certain focal lengths or apertures, unless you purchase a do-all studio monorail or field design (which can mean unnecessary weight or expense short of those f/l or apertures).

If you happen to think it's not convenient to fold a camera with the lens safely boxed up inside and ready in moments versus a design that requires you to carry the lens separately-- you might want to rethink that. (Mounting and unmounting LF lenses from the camera is a time of vulnerability and slows you down when chasing fleeting good light).

I just bought a Super Graphic here for $250 because I wanted to use roll film w/o having to focus on the GG and have a revolving back. This 50 year old design will do 95% of everything I ever need to do in the field. Studio macros, or ultrawides, there may be better choices. But you'll probably end up with multiple cameras before you settle (and now that they're so cheap on the used market).

ki6mf
22-Sep-2009, 11:05
I have heard good things about the Chamonix and the distributor Hugo Zhang in the USA has very good reports on this forum. I bought a Shen Hao as that was the only low cost "new" 4X5 camera available at the time. These wooden field cameras are small light weight and work well for most requirements. Either the Chamonix of Shen Hao will reform well. If you do not need the movements a press camera like a speed or graphic that is in good condition can work. If you go the press camera try and get one of the better lenses that has the shutter in good working order. Then for the price of admission you are into LF without much cost.

Keep in mind the thing you loose with press cameras is the shift, swing, tilt that allows for perspective control of the image.

meakai
29-Sep-2009, 20:39
Thank you all for your suggestions. A lot of them made good practical sense that never occurred to me before. Thank you.

john biskupski
30-Sep-2009, 10:15
There are informative articles on the home page about choice of camera, well worth browsing. I followed a recommendation to acquire a used Horseman 45FA, not too expensive as a first LF camera, small, light and precise, for general landscape and outdoor work. However, it has quite limited movements and lens choice (max 180mm without rear bellows extension). This brings me to my point, there are field cameras out there which are also small, light and precise, but which have a better range of movements (eg look at a used Wista). So time spent researching before you purchase is well spent.