PDA

View Full Version : Got to much time to think so....

soeren
18-Sep-2009, 01:14
OOHH NOO ANOTHER WHAT SHOULD I BUY QUESTION :D

Currently I'm on leave looking after our youngest son (9 months old). I havn't quite got the time I had hoped for shooting and developing but I have done a little with my Bergheil (9X12) and played around a bit with my Sinar.
It has the 5X7 back + the reduction back and when doing 4X5" it feels rather bulky so it got me thinking. Should I stay with the current setup (Cheap :) ) get a 4X5" rear standard and bellows or stick to my plans on getting a Shen Hao for 4X5" field shooting?
The Shen Hao will make a compact and light kit with my 75mm and 150mm lenses but will be more difficult to use with barrel lenses than the Sinar for wihich I have a behind the lens copal shutter. a Sinar 4X5" setup will be more bulky than the Shen but less than my current which I will seldom take out just for 4X5" shots. Taking both the 5X7 back and the 4X5 back out in the field is also not an option so for 4X5" its mostly a studio rig. I have taken the Sinar out for 13X18cm shoting several times and feel its just about the limit for what I care to lug around (mayb a better backback could solve that)

Mike1234
18-Sep-2009, 01:33
If you're concerned about weight/bulk then you'll be better of with a lighter/smaller camera, IMO.

I'm still on the fence with that decision but for a dedicated 6x12cm roll film system built around a small/lightweight 4x5in camera. For me the hold-up is the expense of buying two camera systems. The main system will be 4x10in.

soeren
18-Sep-2009, 01:43
If you're concerned about weight/bulk then you'll be better of with a lighter/smaller camera, IMO.

I'm still on the fence with that decision but for a dedicated 6x12cm roll film system built around a small/lightweight 4x5in camera. For me the hold-up is the expense of buying two camera systems. The main system will be 4x10in.

Yes, though the Shen Hao Is very affordable Its still an extra cost and one more camera(system). Im not so concerned about weight and bulk since no matter what solution it will be lighter and less bulky than carrying the big one with reduction back around. The Shen will not be so versatile as the Sinar but that may be outweighed by weight and bulk. More comments?
Best regards

Mike1234
18-Sep-2009, 04:15
There are many field cameras that have more than enough movements for my needs. Some with the high-tech standard bellows probably don't even need a bag for my purposes even though the widest lens is a 38mm.

I'm concerned about weight/bulk for the smaller kit because the 4x10 really isn't much larger or heavier than a 5x7. Yet when I don't feel like lugging it around I'll want something much lighter and easier to carry. Overall the smaller kit will weigh less than 1/2 as much as the 4x10... maybe closer to 1/3.

When I first began evaluating my needs I decided against the smaller system because I was estimating only a 4 pound difference in weight but that was completely wrong. It's closer to 10 pounds once everything is downsized.

Gee whizz... I'm talking myself into following through with it.

soeren
18-Sep-2009, 05:10
Whoops
Oh Im sorry if my thread caused harm to your economy :D
Hmm seems like we think the same here
Best regards

Robert Hughes
18-Sep-2009, 06:50
So - lemme get this straight. You're wanting to get a 4x10 / 5x7 / 1/3 camera for your 9 month old son to tote around the crib? What size lens will he want?

Jeremy Moore
18-Sep-2009, 11:45
I'm not really sure what the question is here--it seems like you're trying to get justification from us for you to buy a 4x5 camera.

You asked for comments, though, so my comment is:

If you want a 4x5 camera and you can afford one without affecting your quality of life or impacting the financial support of any dependents then buy one. You can always resell it later. If you can't afford it then the question is moot until you can.

If you're not a professional then you're doing this because you like it, you love it, or you just can't NOT do it so do it how you want to do it. If you think you'll like shooting in the field more with a field camera then get one! This is about you!

The problem, though, doesn't seem to be the camera, but the time as buying another camera won't give you more time for shooting and developing.

If you get a camera that is easier to work with in the field you might shoot more in the same amount of time that you have for shooting now, but then you'll have more to develop.

Glenn Thoreson
18-Sep-2009, 13:45
Your 9X12 Bergheil is small and lightweight.
If it were my choice and I had little time to devote to using it, Bergheil would do me just fine. I'm easy. :D

Mike1234
18-Sep-2009, 17:56
Jeremy... sage advice.

Glenn... you're too easy... and cheap. :)

soeren
20-Sep-2009, 00:23
Your 9X12 Bergheil is small and lightweight.
If it were my choice and I had little time to devote to using it, Bergheil would do me just fine. I'm easy. :D

Fair point :) Gotta get me some more holders for the Bergheil. Though its not very usable for close ups, not so rigid.
Well I'm not seeking justification to make a buy more asking for comments on Sinar Norma 4X5" vs Shen Hao 4X5" from the pov that I just need the rear standard and bellows to have the 4X5" Sinar vs buying a whole new camera + weight, versatility, durability etc of the two.
Best regards