PDA

View Full Version : My V750 is driving me nuts!!!!

Hollis
16-Sep-2009, 19:42
Ok, im having some issues with my scanner. Namely, I can't make a sharp scan to save my life as it seems like the scanner is out of whack and not focusing nearly as close as it used to. Secondly, what the hell is going on with these weird artifacts in my image??? They are most always left to right on the frame (scan that the sample is from was rotated and yes, that is a goat's face) and are ruining my scans. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am about to get buried in shot film...

Hollis

anchored
16-Sep-2009, 22:28
Don't personally own a 750 but instead a MicroTek M1, but...

You haven't mentioned settings, or for that matter film sizes. Assuming 4"x5" or larger, I might suggest trying different resolution settings (ie: lower) and see if that resolves the issue. On the M1, lines sometimes will show up if I try scanning color transparencies above 2400-res (and occasionally they'll even show up at 2400). However, dropping res down to 2000 or lower these lines never appears.

Glenn

Joanna Carter
17-Sep-2009, 01:00
Ok, im having some issues with my scanner. Namely, I can't make a sharp scan to save my life as it seems like the scanner is out of whack and not focusing nearly as close as it used to. Secondly, what the hell is going on with these weird artifacts in my image??? They are most always left to right on the frame (scan that the sample is from was rotated and yes, that is a goat's face) and are ruining my scans. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am about to get buried in shot film...
If the problems have only just started, I would suspect the scanner head has shifted. If it is a new scanner, then you might like to try the Better Scanning mounting station which can adjust to the optimum scanning height.

Ash
17-Sep-2009, 03:01
I fear for trying another scan when I get mine back from being in transit. I found all sorts of issues with my V700 and it took using the silverfast software and a lot of tweaking to get a good scan when I had it set up.

Hollis
17-Sep-2009, 16:00
Sorry about lack of setting info...

The above is a 100% crop of a 35mm neg at 2400 dpi, no sharpening. This does happen with all my film though, c-41, e-6 and B/W and all sizes, including whole plate (biggest I have scanned). Im wondering if I can send it to epson and tell them where they can put it...

Jeremy Moore
17-Sep-2009, 17:14
Have you emailed Epson's tech support to ask about these marks yet?

Hollis
17-Sep-2009, 20:54
No that is my next step. I have been busy developing a back log of 30+ rolls of film among other things.

Brian_A
17-Sep-2009, 22:00
Have you emailed Epson's tech support to ask about these marks yet?

Good luck with that. Any time I've ever had to call in to Epson's tech support they are pretty much clueless. I have never walked away with a solution from them - always had to find it later on my own. They seem to read from a script and don't have much knowledge on the higher end products, mainly just the regular "consumer end" stuff. Maybe I just got bad reps, but the two times I've had to call in weren't helpful at all. I'd go with the BetterScanning mounting station myself.

Hollis
18-Sep-2009, 16:20
I haven't looked into the better scanning system - seems much cheaper than the other alternative. Have you used it?

Keith S. Walklet
18-Sep-2009, 16:21
As for settings, at least make sure the scanner is set for the proper lens to be used, ie.
"Film with Holder" if it is in one of the EPSON holders or mounted off the surface on plex/glass, whatever. If it is set on "FILM WITH AREA GUIDE" it will focus on the platen glass, not the height of the holder, which would make your scan blurry.

As for the artifacts, I've seen that sort of thing when RAM was low, such as when I am multitasking with other applications running at the same time as the scanner. Sometimes, just closing and reopening the scan will make the artifacts disappear. If not, quit your other apps and just run the scanner.

Hope that improves things for you.

Joanna Carter
18-Sep-2009, 16:28
I haven't looked into the better scanning system - seems much cheaper than the other alternative. Have you used it?
I use it all the time. Although the occasional person will be lucky enough to get a scanner where the film holder just happens to be on the plane of focus, most of them seem to be outside the range of the standard (naff) holder that Epson bundle with their scanners. The Better Scanning holder is the major contributor to my being able to get scans that are good enough for anything up to 10x enlargement, despite those that insist flatbeds aren't much good above half that size.

Brian_A
20-Sep-2009, 19:31

Yes, both the mounting station and the one for 6x17 (IE: 120/220 Film) Both are outstanding. They take a bit of tweaking to get exactly right, but the time invested will definitely be worth it. (You have to figure out - for you scanner specifically - the exact height for the mounting station to be at to maximize sharpness)

As for the artifacts, I've seen that sort of thing when RAM was low, such as when I am multitasking with other applications running at the same time as the scanner. Sometimes, just closing and reopening the scan will make the artifacts disappear. If not, quit your other apps and just run the scanner.

I agree with this. I've had issues when I'm making extremely high rez and large physical sized scans and having multiple applications open. I dunno why, but I just do. Sometimes they go away as Keith mentioned, sometimes they don't. Even with my quad-core with 4gb of RAM (Max for the non-64bit version of Vista) I will shut down all the other applications while scanning and jump to my laptop to do anything else that I need to do. Especially for color 4x5 scans. This is just my experience, though. Best of luck!

-Brian

Hollis
22-Sep-2009, 15:45
thanks for the advice on the artifacts, can't remember what else I had going on but Im sure that I had a ton of programs running to get the most done with limited time. Ill try the epson wet mount setup this weekend when I get back to town and see how that goes. Is there anywhere you can get a focus target on film (pos or neg) so I can scan and check focus? Also, anywhere I can get a neutral gray piece of film to click balance off of on my scans?

Steve V
22-Sep-2009, 16:14
Yes, both the mounting station and the one for 6x17 (IE: 120/220 Film) Both are outstanding. They take a bit of tweaking to get exactly right, but the time invested will definitely be worth it. (You have to figure out - for you scanner specifically - the exact height for the mounting station to be at to maximize sharpness)
Just an FYI for the 120/220 holder. The "T" pieces are hand fitted for each holder, so order extra "T" pieces at the time of the original order.

Steve

Brian_A
22-Sep-2009, 16:18
thanks for the advice on the artifacts, can't remember what else I had going on but Im sure that I had a ton of programs running to get the most done with limited time. Ill try the epson wet mount setup this weekend when I get back to town and see how that goes. Is there anywhere you can get a focus target on film (pos or neg) so I can scan and check focus? Also, anywhere I can get a neutral gray piece of film to click balance off of on my scans?

As far as focus goes, no. It's a set focus, you select whether or not you're using a film holder or the wet mount setup. Now, with the mounting station from BetterScanning.com, you can adjust the height of the film from the scanning surface. It takes some time to do a number of scans at each level to get it right, but it's really nice when you get it right. As far as the film goes, I don't know - sorry. I'd say that neutral gray changes in different lighting conditions, hence the use of a gray card. If you're using chrome film, you can purchase IT8 calibration targets targets for it. If not, SilverFast (Which should come with your 750) has profiles for a ton of different black & white and C41 type films. Granted some are not the best, but with a bit of tweaking it can be worked out nicely.

Best of luck!

-Brian

Brian_A
22-Sep-2009, 16:20
Just an FYI for the 120/220 holder. The "T" pieces are hand fitted for each holder, so order extra "T" pieces at the time of the original order.

Steve

Steve is right if you go that route for the 120/220 holder. Or better yet, just get the anti-newton ring glass that fits that holder, which is what I use. One more way to minimize any scanning related issues.

-Brian

joeyrsmith
22-Sep-2009, 19:15
Hollis, there should be little feet/pop out buttons on the bottom of the neg holder.
I did many test by setting them different.
It shows you how in the inst. book.
Mine finally works good at:
normal position
blue channel setting
do not go above 3200 for res. doesnt seem to matter above that.
i am only doing 4x5 b&w.
The feet position does matter alot though.

Hollis
23-Sep-2009, 21:16
I am doing a lot of color and I too messed with the feet and it did help. My Aztek wet mount scan stuff came in today and I tried to make some scans with it and at first I thought 'hot damn, this is great' but after I looked at them they are much, much dustier than the dry scans and that is one of the major reasons that I bought the damn kit. Also, in regards to the first post I made with the weird artifacts, they are still there and are ruining the scans. So, I made 6 or 7 scans and then I tried one more and now my scanner is showing a very dark, hardly any detail preview (as in 10 stops too dark) and I can't get it to work again. P.O.S. scanner is about to be a boat anchor. Someone sell me an Imacon.

Brian_A
23-Sep-2009, 22:01
Don't always trust the preview.

Hollis
30-Sep-2009, 21:38
Ok, got the scanner going and got the hang of this wet mount thing. I have been scanning everything from efke 25 and kodak 3200 in 35mm up to 4x5 160VC and damn, so so good. This is opening up new worlds for me, I just have no time for it all. So good. Oh, and Im not using a single scanner, just scanning right on the glass. Its easy, fast and seems to be the best for focus on my machine.

David Luttmann
1-Oct-2009, 13:46
Weird....if I put it on the glass.....everyting is WAY out of focus. Sounds like your machine is out of whack. That said, if it works now, all the better.

Hollis
1-Oct-2009, 18:03
As long as it works, I don't care. How bad is the Kami fluid for you? I find it mixes well in a martini.

David Luttmann
6-Oct-2009, 09:40
As long as it works, I don't care. How bad is the Kami fluid for you? I find it mixes well in a martini.

I try to keep it to flaming shooters :D