PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technica III weight?

Leonard Metcalf
16-Sep-2009, 07:20
Would someone be kind enough to weight their technica III without lens for me. Also are there any suggestions for getting the old style lens board for one.

Thanks in advance,

Len

Peter K
16-Sep-2009, 07:56
Would someone be kind enough to weight their technica III without lens for me.
The weight of a Technika III 4x5" from 1954 with range-finder but without lens is 2.3 kg, erly models are a little bit lighter, ca. 2.25 kg.

Peter

Ari
16-Sep-2009, 08:12
For the lensboards, try KEH; their stock changes pretty quickly, and you're sure to find one eventually.
http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx

Chauncey Walden
16-Sep-2009, 16:34
The lens board is a simple rectangle and can be easily cut from 4 inch wide sheets of hobby shop aluminum.

Peter K
17-Sep-2009, 03:14
The lens board is a simple rectangle and can be easily cut from 4 inch wide sheets of hobby shop aluminum.
But don't forget the light-trap, a circular groove on the back of the lens board!

Without this the velvet ring on the front-standard will be pressed too much so light can enter the camera through the gap between lens-board and front-standard.

Peter

Chauncey Walden
17-Sep-2009, 07:18
For me, the trap has been a solution to a non-existent problem. Not to mention, thinking about it, that a trap with pressure should be a better trap than one without it.

Peter K
18-Sep-2009, 04:06
For me, the trap has been a solution to a non-existent problem. Not to mention, thinking about it, that a trap with pressure should be a better trap than one without it.
This can be true if the sealing isn't opened and closed as with changing lenses. In this case the velvet fibers will break, loose flexibility and spread out over a bigger area as if the lensboard has a groove.

On the other hand, why not cut the groove too if the lensboard is in the lathe to cut the opening for the shutter?

Peter

Bill_1856
18-Sep-2009, 11:35
FYI: My Technika IV is slightly heavier, at 5# 11.5 oz.

ronlamarsh
18-Sep-2009, 12:31
I have used lensboards made from countertop type formica for years now with no light leak problems.