PDA

View Full Version : Dating a Deardorff V8

Jim Cole
15-Sep-2009, 18:18
And, no, I'm not looking for a hot night on the town...

I visited Ken Hough's Deardorff Historical Website and from the information there have a rough idea of when my #582 was made, but Ken's email address is no longer valid and he offered to check the original serial number list for anyone who requested it.

Does anyone know if Ken is still around and in business? Anyone have new contact information? Searching has turned up nothing new.

If he's not around, has this record of serial numbers passed to different hands?

Thanks

mandoman7
15-Sep-2009, 20:37
Mine is #509 and I believe its from 1950.
There were some threads here and there about Mr. Hough's turnaround time on restorations, which were getting lengthy. I would guess that he's staying pretty low key.

Jim Cole
16-Sep-2009, 06:07
Thanks for the additional info, John.

Robert Hughes
16-Sep-2009, 06:24
I dunno, I don't think I'd want to date a Deardorff. Who knows where it's been? :(

Jim Galli
16-Sep-2009, 06:36
I dated a Deardorff for a while but ended up married to a Kodak 2D.

Jim Cole
16-Sep-2009, 07:06
I dated a Deardorff for a while but ended up married to a Kodak 2D.

She must be cold on winter nights.

Jim Cole
16-Sep-2009, 07:38
I got a new email address for Ken from another member.

I am feeling like I need to snuggle with DD.

numnutz
16-Sep-2009, 09:51
Hi I have just aquired a 10 x 8 Deardorff and wonder where the serial number is? Mine doesn't have a serial number on the front bright-work as others I have seen.

Can anyone help please.

nn :)

Jim Cole
16-Sep-2009, 10:01
Hi I have just aquired a 10 x 8 Deardorff and wonder where the serial number is? Mine doesn't have a serial number on the front bright-work as others I have seen.

Can anyone help please.

Hi nn,

You probably have a pre-1950 model which was when thay started putting serial numbers on. I assume your model has no front swing (unless it was converted) and no metal tripod plate on the bottom.

numnutz
16-Sep-2009, 10:07
You probably have a pre-1950 model which was when thay started putting serial numbers on. I assume your model has no front swing (unless it was converted) and no metal tripod plate on the bottom.

It does not have any front swing but does have the round metal tripod plate on the base.

Thank you for the information.

Jim Cole
16-Sep-2009, 10:14
It does not have any front swing but does have the round metal tripod plate on the base.

nn,

If you haven't already, check out the Deardorff Historical Website and look under the "Dating a Deardorff" section. You may be able to piece something together.

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

Brian Ellis
16-Sep-2009, 10:25
You might want to keep trying to reach Ken even if you can find the date somewhere else. He could give you not only the date but the camera store from which your camera was originally sold. At least he did that with mine, which was kind of interesting to know.

Jim Cole
16-Sep-2009, 10:34
You might want to keep trying to reach Ken even if you can find the date somewhere else. He could give you not only the date but the camera store from which your camera was originally sold. At least he did that with mine, which was kind of interesting to know.

Brian,

I did receive an updated email address from another member here and sent Ken a message. Thanks, and I hope I don't have one of the cameras that the secretary accidently forgot to note in the ledger.

mandoman7
16-Sep-2009, 12:43

The metal plate may have been added later. That's what happened with mine. It does not have the name "Deardorff" on the plate, as can be seen on others that were factory installed. If yours does not have front swings I believe it would be pre-war, so to speak, and someone added the plate to ensure its longevity for you.

Jim Galli
16-Sep-2009, 13:30
The metal plate may have been added later. That's what happened with mine. It does not have the name "Deardorff" on the plate, as can be seen on others that were factory installed. If yours does not have front swings I believe it would be pre-war, so to speak, and someone added the plate to ensure its longevity for you.

Don't forget to take the plate off and flip it over. Might be there all the time but installed backwards by some one.

Jim Cole
16-Sep-2009, 19:05
I heard back from Ken Hough about an hour or so after I sent the message to him. He provided the shipping date and the store it was shipped to. The camera is about 7 months older than I am. About two years earlier than I had thought. November, 1950.

John Kasaian
16-Sep-2009, 19:55
When dating my Deardorff I discovered that she likes a cigar and Seagram's 7 after a romp in the woods.
Typical Chicagoan! :rolleyes:

John Berry
17-Sep-2009, 22:32
I don't know if I would date my Dorff if it lowered it's standards enough to go out with me. #4075 here

Jon Wilson
18-Sep-2009, 20:44
Jim, my V8 #2626, according to Ken Hough's records, was sold by a LA camera shop in 1959. She needed a new skirt...so I put her in a new bellows and threw in a new refinishing job. She loves it. However, I must confess, I do cheat on her occasionally with a lighter 8x10 Century Universal...:)
Jon