PDA

View Full Version : Waterhouse stops - which way?

csant
13-Sep-2009, 04:55
Hi,
I have a Voigtländer Euryscop IV with one (original?) Waterhouse stop - my first Waterhouse stop lens. One side of the stop's hole is beveled, the other one straight - now, is it important which way around I insert the stop? Which is the right way?

Thanks for answering a Waterhouse-noob question :)

Louis Pacilla
13-Sep-2009, 08:11
Hi

I think you wont see much of a difference either way. If there is a stop difference you would be hard pressed to detect it (particularly B&W negs) . It certainly wouldn't be a 1/8-1/16 of a stop. I use my stops w/ the beveled edge facing the front set of elements & I believe this is correct . I based this on examination of lenses I have w/ wheel house stops & all have bevel facing front group.
BTW- great lens. I love my #5. In fact, I think I'll shoot w/ her today.

Peace
Louis P.

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Sep-2009, 08:18
Hi,
I have a Voigtländer Euryscop IV with one (original?) Waterhouse stop - my first Waterhouse stop lens. One side of the stop's hole is beveled, the other one straight - now, is it important which way around I insert the stop? Which is the right way?

Thanks for answering a Waterhouse-noob question :)

I agree with Louis on the position of the stop. I have the same lens and I have one stop and I use it with the bevel facing forward. Mine did not have the front lens element so I had to put a plus 1 diopter up front and the lens is sweet. Covers my 11x14 wide open and is about an 18" lens this way. Made a set of complete waterhouse stops for it out of the proper thickness of brass. Great lens.

Jim

Lynn Jones
15-Sep-2009, 13:33
I believe the flat side should be toward the lens and the tapered side toward the film.

Lynn

Steven Tribe
15-Sep-2009, 13:56
A quick check of my wheel stops show that german/anglo-german/uk makers all used forward bevels. But a few didn't have any bevels but these have very thin wheels compared with the others. Orford's "Lens work for amateurs" says the apertures in the wheel were turn on a lathe rather than drilled (if that info is of interest!).

GPS
15-Sep-2009, 14:13
I believe the flat side should be toward the lens and the tapered side toward the film.

Lynn

I agree with you as that position is logical. Nevertheless, whenever I see these lenses on Ebay I find they have the holes in the opposite direction. Strange, indeed.

lungovw
15-Sep-2009, 16:53
How many stops would have a complete set? I am asking because I also have a Euryscop IV and only one Waterhouse stop.
I regards to the position I believe that the basic idea was about avoiding a cylindrical surface formed due to blade's thickness, that would reflect light, so it was sharpened. If the beveled side faces or not the front element probably is not so important.

WL

Diane Maher
16-Sep-2009, 09:47
How many stops would have a complete set? I am asking because I also have a Euryscop IV and only one Waterhouse stop.
I regards to the position I believe that the basic idea was about avoiding a cylindrical surface formed due to blade's thickness, that would reflect light, so it was sharpened. If the beveled side faces or not the front element probably is not so important.

WL
This is a good question. I have a huge Voigtlander lens (with a 7 on the barrel) which I have and I found 6 Waterhouse stops (I think) with it in the late previous owner's darkroom.

csant
16-Sep-2009, 11:53
Thanks for all the feedback! As for the number of stops - I have only one stop with the Euryscop, but don't know how many there were meant to be originally.

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Sep-2009, 19:12
Thanks for all the feedback! As for the number of stops - I have only one stop with the Euryscop, but don't know how many there were meant to be originally.

I made mine up to F-45. The lens is great at F-45! That would be my suggestion.

Jim