PDA

View Full Version : Instructions on loading 6x9 rollfilm holder

James Phillips
24-Nov-2001, 20:08
I have just purchased a used 6x9 Graflex/Subsea roll film holder without instruc tions. I must admit that I am confused about how to the load the film. Can anybo dy suggest somewhere on the Web where I might find directions on how to load the holder ? Also I've been reading the threads on different types of holders and w onder if anybody has any opinions about this model ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Todd Caudle
24-Nov-2001, 22:18
I'm not sure how different the two holders are, but I found loading instructions for my Calumet C2N 6x9 holder on their site. You might want to download 'em, just to see if it might jibe with your holder. Go to www.calumetphoto.com and type "c2n" into the speed search box at the top of the page. Click on the 6x9 back and it'll have a link to a PDF file for instructions. Hope this helps!

Dean Lastoria
24-Nov-2001, 23:18
I don't know about subsea, but if it is a Graflex 23 back, then you must wind out (assuming knob) the clockwork, then line the arrow on the film with the white line. Then, put it up to your ear and set the knob with the nubers till you hear two clicks. Again, if it is an older graflex like the two 23's I have, you should run it through to see which frames overlap. THe last two tend to overlap by 1/4" then 1/2" -- and it would be a shame o be underwater when it happens -- can you take a grafic underwater? Good luck. Dean

KN7yeEBJ
25-Nov-2001, 10:46
I have one of those abortions. When Graflex shut down, SubSea bought the roll holder tooling. Mine, represented as new and unused, had the wrong gears, broken springs, ... Armatos in NYC fixed it up, expensively. It now doesn't overlap frames or jam, but because of casting flash (time to get out a file) doesn't quite fit in my Century Graphic. Also, I think (actually, dial caliper used as depth gauge says) that the flange to film distance is a little off.

More seriously, run, do not walk, to www.graflex.org, where directions for loading can be found. They were fairly recently posted on the help board. If all else fails, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of the instructions.

Harry L. Martin
25-Nov-2001, 10:56
Hi I just described how to load a Graphic "23" roll film back on Graflex.org. It may help you. Go to Graflex.org, click HelpBoard, click Accessories Help, and click the the first box in that section which is (Graphic "23") for my answer. Harry

Harry L. Martin
25-Nov-2001, 13:09
Kn7ye... We must of posted our replies about the same time. Thank You for the nice words! I do have the original instructions for the Graflex holder that I can scan and put on a web site if anyone is interested? It's titled, "Graflex Roll Film Holder Instructions". Harry, W6WN

James Phillips
25-Nov-2001, 21:19
Thanks to everybody for helping and especially KN7yeEBJ for offering to send the photocopy. I was lucky enough to have Harry Martin scan the instructions and provide them to me. Sure is easier with a simple piece of paper or two. :>)

Thanks Harry !

Harry L. Martin
27-Nov-2001, 02:06
Those original instructions are availabe for anyone at 'www.photopoint.com'. Type in my email address (hmartin@tns.net) in 'View Albums' Box and click. It's located in my 'Friends Album'. Harry P.S. Friends Album also includes several pages from Graflex Service Instructions for the Crown & Speed Graphic 4x5.