PDA

View Full Version : What developer works best with T-Max 400 sheet film with rotary processer?

ric YAMA
23-Nov-2001, 23:13
Hi, What developer works best with T-Max 400 sheet film with rotary processer? considering grain size, sharpness, tonality, developing time, dilution and tempe ture. **T-Max RS, D-23, Microdol, X-tol, D-76, HC-110 , etc... I shoot 8x10 and use JOBO CPA-2 processer.

I know everyone has own preference and different results. However, I just want to know how people choose developer for the particular film and also, I'd like to get as many advices as possible before I start testing.

Thanks in advance. ric

Jim Chinn
24-Nov-2001, 00:29
Ric I process 4x5 400 in a CPE2. My EI is 200 with XTOL at 1-1 dilution 5.5 min @70F. that time is a 20% reduction from my tray processing time to compenstate for constant agitation. I also tray process 8x10 with XTOL, same numbers.

With 8x10 grain is a non-issue with TMY, unless you are making mural size prints. I do find XTOL gives excellent seperation in the highlights, which is sometimes a problem with TMY. you will receive warnings about the dreaded XTOL failure, although I have never experienced it on over two years of using XTOL. Use distilled water and don't let it sit on the shelf more than 30 days. In a couple of weeks I may have some personal data on rollo-pyro, which I am going to tryout so I can avoid pyro in trays.

david clark
24-Nov-2001, 00:29
Hi Ric,

A good primer for your questions is... The Film Developing Cookbook by Anchell & Troop. I think that will save you a lot of time. Best, David

ric YAMA
24-Nov-2001, 00:56
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that I am making large scale prints. (30x40 to 40X60 in.) Therefore, grain and sharpness are very important factors for me. Since I just cannot switch to slower ASA film, I need to withdraw as much quality as I can from the 400 speed film. Thank you riichi