PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Sinaron SE 240mm f/5.6 with Compur 3 Shutter

James Sullivan
11-Sep-2009, 03:30
Hi,
This is just a newbie question.

Would the above titled lens fit into an Ebony SV45U2's Linhof type lensboard?

Could anyone please advise?

Thank you in advance.

darr
11-Sep-2009, 04:28
It should as long as you are using a #3 board. The biggest lens I have used on my Ebony is a Cooke PS945 (229mm) in a #3 shutter. This is a big lens compared to everything else I own.

Oren Grad
11-Sep-2009, 08:15
The front standard opening of the camera will need to be large enough to accommodate a rear cell of 80mm diameter.

It's a fine lens. But if you've never seen one before, bear in mind that it's quite big and heavy, and for that reason not necessarily ideal for use with a 4x5 field camera.

If you are sure you want the 240mm focal length, the Apo-Ronar and Germinar W are very compact and lightweight alternatives worth considering. If not, there are many excellent 210mm lenses that are smaller, lighter and less expensive.

Armin Seeholzer
11-Sep-2009, 17:20
Oren but if you ever have seen the sharpness of this sironar SE 240 mm then you know there is no way back!
It is my new reference in sharpness!

Cheers Armin

Oren Grad
11-Sep-2009, 22:58
Oren but if you ever have seen the sharpness of this sironar SE 240 mm then you know there is no way back!
It is my new reference in sharpness!

Cheers Armin

Armin, I've owned a 240 Apo-Sironar-S (same as the Sinaron SE, for those who haven't been keeping score) for more than a decade. It's a marvelous lens for 8x10 or 7x11 or whole plate, but I'd never drag it into the field to shoot 4x5. For my purposes the main reason to carry 4x5 at all is to keep the size and weight down - way down. I wouldn't normally use anything longer than a 210 on a 4x5 in the field anyway, but if for some reason I decided that I needed a 240, it would be my Germinar-W all the way.

Cheers...

...wimpy-Oren ;)

Armin Seeholzer
12-Sep-2009, 04:34
Hi Oren

If I want it as easy as possible I take the G-Glaron 240mm for hiking but for near the car there is only the SE good enough now!
And yes I using the lens more on 8x10 then on 4x5 it does not work an the front of my Horseman HF, much to big!
But it works on all of my Sinars and also on the Burke & James where I have a reducing back to 4x5.
A use on the field 4x5 on the long side only 210 and 300mm the last a APO Ronar!

Cheers Armin