PDA

View Full Version : Using your 8x10 as an enlarger

George Kara
10-Sep-2009, 13:44
Do any of you use your 8x10 for this purpose? I have just acquired a monster cambo 9' camera stand and it seems You could do some serious enlargement at that size. Any issues I need to be aware of ?

Robert Hughes
10-Sep-2009, 15:45
Lenses for reproduction are slightly different, in that they attempt to keep flat field focus; you may find slight out-of-focus corners using your camera lens. Also, you will of course need a light source. But people used 'em 100 years ago, you can, too.

Bob Salomon
10-Sep-2009, 16:32
Do any of you use your 8x10 for this purpose? I have just acquired a monster cambo 9' camera stand and it seems You could do some serious enlargement at that size. Any issues I need to be aware of ?

Alignment! Especially after you hang a light source on top of the camera back. It was never designed for that kind of weight. Then you have to add the weight of a glass carrier!

lenser
10-Sep-2009, 17:32
Ansel did it, but it was a converted Century used as a horizontal enlarger and with a true enlarging lens. No vertical torque when used horizontally so it is relatively easy to keep alignment. See pictures in his book "the Camera".