PDA

View Full Version : Tmax100-400 in Rodinal?

Richard Boulware
23-Nov-2001, 16:04
Anyone out there have any experience or opinions on using Rodinal for Tmax100 or 400? Just curious. Thanks for any input. Richard Boulware - Denver

Walter Glover
23-Nov-2001, 17:55
Richard,

My findings are totally to the contrary of Dan's posting above. I have eventually settled on the T-Max/Rodinal combination for most of my work.

I am using a Durst Labaorator with condensors so my times may well be low for diffussion but:

Rodinal 1+100

Temp 24?

9.5 minutes

I should point out that I load 12 sheets into 2 Jobo 2509N reels and hand agitate in a nylon jug with 3,500ml of working solution. Hand agitated (centre core extension as handle) constant first 30 seconds then 10 seconds every minute.

Works magically on Fortezo Graded Paper 2.

I don't find grain an issue at all and the compensating effect of the 1+100 dilution ensures great control over highlights. Add thiis to increased accutance and the trade-ofs are quite worthwhile in my experience.

There is about a one-stop loss in speed (TMX = 50, TMY = 200) which does not cause me concern.

There is another accutance developer with which I had happy encounters FX-39 marketed by Paterson from the UK. Regrettably, the Australian distributor no longer brings it in but with the performance and economy of Rodinal I don't lose any sleep at night over it.

Give it a try and, please, pass on your findings ... WG

M.
23-Nov-2001, 21:15
My results agree with Dan Smith. I find the sharpness of TMX in Rodinal 1+50 to be at least as good, and possibly better than TechPan, although grain isn't in the same class. TMY in Rodinal has fair grain and sharpness, but no balls.

John Hicks
24-Nov-2001, 01:24
TMX in Rodinal 1:100 works well, countering some of TMXs tendency toward low acu tance.

BTW, FWIW TFX-2 gives identical results.

Daniel Taylor
24-Nov-2001, 02:00
TMY in Rodinal == bummer

grain bloating clogged my scanner

andrea milano
25-Nov-2001, 05:55
Rodinal is indeed a versatile developer, apparently, you can get all sorts of results from it. As it was notoriously known in the past , if you are in a hurry and use more concentrated diluitions you will get large grain and high contrast, if , on the other hand, you use diluitions such as the 1:100 or even 1:150, the results would be very good. I did just try the given combination, It worked allright but I am not so happy about the t-max itself wich, I find, has a narrow rendition of shadows and highlits, it remains the Ideal film in studio situations where contrast is totally under control, otherwise you will be disappointed. But this can be my own interpretation. Tri-X and Rodinal is a tricky combination too! But I like the film better. Apart from the extreme low-cost of the rodinal wich is very interesting, why don't you choose more modern and effective developers? Or why don't you try an old sap like "Acutol", I am told that it performs very well with Tmax.

Giuliano
6-Jul-2002, 08:18
T-Max 100 works very fine in Rodinal (1+50) but you will obtain much more contrast than any other developer. I usually print with paper grade 2 or 3 but to obtain the same results i need to print with a grade 1. The grain is ....grain??? It doesn't exist ;-) ! Remember to set the EI to 80ASA Another wonderful issue uf this combination is the magenta color of this film. Rodinal leave the film perfectly clean from this background color

T-Max400,.... set the index to 320ASA but forgot to obtain the same results of T-Max100. Too many grains and if you really want grain (very contrasted grain!) try Rodinal with Delta3200

Hope this can help Bye

Giuliano