PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Case alternatives

SAShruby
8-Sep-2009, 13:00
I'm travelling to Las Vegas for the conference in October and I decided to spend 4-5 days doing pictures after that. I plan to take 8x20 Dorf and suitable case for that is Pelican 1650. The disadvantage is, it's too heavy - 16.5kg.

Is there any better alternative?
Thanks in advance.

BarryS
8-Sep-2009, 13:14
An 8x20 Dorff? Geez, there can't be too many of those floating around. Since you're going to have to check the thing, I think I'd stick with the Pelican case. Lightware has a large rolling case that might work, but it's pretty expensive. It'd probably be half the weight of the Pelican.

SAShruby
8-Sep-2009, 15:39
I found this one as a good alternative.

http://www.carrycasesplus.com/se-920-p29908.html

Anyone has any experience with those cases?

jeroldharter
8-Sep-2009, 18:13
I found this one as a good alternative.

http://www.carrycasesplus.com/se-920-p29908.html

Anyone has any experience with those cases?

Looks like a good price. I did not see a weight so I am not sure that you are getting ahead compared to Pelican. Also, if it is lighter, it is probably weaker given the design similarities with Pelican. For checking an 8x20 camera, I would go with the proven Pelican. Also, I did not see a purge valve in any of the photos so I wonder how it would handle changes in air pressure while flying.

Steve Hamley
9-Sep-2009, 06:38
I'd shudder at checking an 8x20 Deardorff in anything less than first rate protection. Would you feel the weight savings was worth it if an irreplaceable camera was damaged?

Cheers, Steve

jp
9-Sep-2009, 10:53
If you go with something less than a pelican case, I'd suggest shipping it UPS to the destination instead of checking it. Despite the occasional footprint or cardboard tear on my UPS packages, I am a magnitude more comfortable with that method than airline travel. You can put your film in with the camera too if you ship it.

Dave Jeffery
9-Sep-2009, 13:17
Fry's Electronics in the U.S. lists other cases as well as Pelican cases. Here is a link or Google them. You may be able to order them in Canada.

http://www.frys.com/search?query_string=&cat=-45698&pType=pDisplay&resultpage=2&from=50&to=74

SAShruby
9-Sep-2009, 13:32
There is another case which definitely is worth to take a look.

http://www.carrycasesplus.com/im2700-p29841.html

This one is only 14 pounds with foam. Definitely lighter than Pelican.

Steve Hamley
9-Sep-2009, 17:31
Peter,

I can vouch for the Storm Case, I have them and Pelicans and the guys at work cut the top out of cases to mount waterproof LCD displays. Storm Cases are top shelf and the latches are easier than Pelicans.

But they don't weigh that much less.

I doubt the one you linked will be long enough though - your GG is 20" long and the case is 22" inside, so you'd better have a lot less than 1" of camera around your GG, and you'll have no padding on the ends.

Cheers, Steve

Drew Bedo
9-Sep-2009, 18:42
At one time, I packed an 8x10 wooden field camera and everything else but the tripod into a footlocker with wheels. Everything was padded with sheets of 2' foam that ahd padded factory-new X-Ray equipment (they were just going to throw the foam away!) The footlocker traveled well through the air lines and airport systems. At my destination, The gear was repacked into the camera bag backpack(overhead bin) and carry-on bag (underseater) that had held my clothes while in transit.

The foot locker did not shout "STEAL ME!" yet was pretty stout. Stout enough to fly round trip Houston-Bahamas. I don't think its as tough as the Pelican case; as in ditching in the Hudson river, but it did the job. Cost: under $40. The idea was to ship in an inexpensive strong case and pack my clothing in a camera bag that would be used with the photo gear at the other end.

Would this work out for you?

SAShruby
10-Sep-2009, 12:08
At one time, I packed an 8x10 wooden field camera and everything else but the tripod into a footlocker with wheels. Everything was padded with sheets of 2' foam that ahd padded factory-new X-Ray equipment (they were just going to throw the foam away!) The footlocker traveled well through the air lines and airport systems. At my destination, The gear was repacked into the camera bag backpack(overhead bin) and carry-on bag (underseater) that had held my clothes while in transit.

The foot locker did not shout "STEAL ME!" yet was pretty stout. Stout enough to fly round trip Houston-Bahamas. I don't think its as tough as the Pelican case; as in ditching in the Hudson river, but it did the job. Cost: under $40. The idea was to ship in an inexpensive strong case and pack my clothing in a camera bag that would be used with the photo gear at the other end.

Would this work out for you?

I'd like the idea of not shouting "STEAL ME" which Pelican is not the best representative, on the contrary it shouts right on to be stolen...

Steve Hamley
10-Sep-2009, 12:36
Oh yes, one other suggestion that many folks overlook; use double wall cardboard boxes and double box.

Obviously this isn't a long term container, but for a back-and-forth, it may be ideal. Cheap, light, and anonymous. You could put a layer of solid styrofoam insulation between the inner and outer box for impact resistance, and use foam rubber around the camera.

I'd also be sure to wrap the camera in a plastic wrap or sleeve because there will be considerable dust generated.

Cheers, Steve

sholand
6-Oct-2009, 14:20
The Seahorse case mentioned before is a strong case and is much less expensive than a Pelican or Storm. Pelican just bought out the maker of Storm so the prices are now the same for the equivalent Storm and Pelican cases. Storm cases are lighter and have easier to open latches and stronger wheels. Pelican has the brand recognition.

Either way you go, make sure your case is large enough to protect your equipment. Obviously, foam inside will help protect but which foam to use is the big question. The Pick and Pluck foam that comes with those cases is an Ester foam which is a good foam (resilient, good protection) but it is on the soft side. Depending on how much your equipment weighs you might want to go with a Polyethylene (PE) foam. This is much more rigid but still with some give (it is similar in feel to a swimming pool noodle but stronger). Pick and Pluck Ester is a nice do it yourself foam but remember that the pieces have a tendency to tear off when you don't want them to. With a solid piece of foam and a knife you can avoid that problem.

Hope this helps.