PDA

View Full Version : Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 90mm/8

captainslack
8-Sep-2009, 12:06
Last weekend, I was walking around the flea market when a friend pointed out a bag of camera equipment sitting on the ground in this guy's stand. I was looking at it when the vendor walked up & said I could have the whole bag for $10. As I'd just pulled this out, I jumped at the offer

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/captainslack/camerabag2.jpg

Now, I have some questions:

1. Is this a good lens for 4x5? The Schneider website says it will cover 5x7, so I assume so.

2. What would be a good camera to mount it on? Would it work on a field camera like a Crown Graphic or a Tachihara?

3. Just so I'm clear, 90mm is wide-angle on an LF camera, right?

4. Does anyone have pics taken with this lens I could look at?

BrianShaw
8-Sep-2009, 12:26
What a great find. Now please stop asking questions. You're gloating, unintentionally I'm sure. :D

Ari
8-Sep-2009, 12:32
Sorry, I'm too busy hitting my head on a brick wall to answer you right away.
Ten dollars? This only happens to other people.
To answer your questions:
1. Yes, it will work with a 4x5 format camera.
2. It should mount on any 4x5 camera, provided you have the corresponding lensboard, and provided you have adequate bellows movement for a wide angle lens.
3. Right. A 90mm lens is a wide angle lens to a 4x5. It corresponds to (roughly) a 32mm lens on a 35mm camera.
4. I don't but others here surely do; you should just have a look at it through a friend's camera, and see if you like it.
If you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it for at least 50% more than what you paid for it.:)

ps-make sure the aperture opens and closes smoothly, and test all shutter speeds; the glass looks ok.

captainslack
8-Sep-2009, 12:41
What a great find. Now please stop asking questions. You're gloating, unintentionally I'm sure. :D

No, gloating would be telling you what else was in bag. ;)

Paul Bujak
8-Sep-2009, 13:40
C'mon! Gloat away! Curious minds want to know what else was in that bag.

Eric Woodbury
8-Sep-2009, 13:45
Did you pay the $10 or low-ball him?

Archphoto
8-Sep-2009, 14:05
Hate to spoil your day: but 4 of those goodies for $10,- ?
How shure are you that it has not been stoolen goodies ?????

This is the find of a century.......

Congrad's !

Peter

Mike1234
8-Sep-2009, 16:20
Cripes!!

captainslack
8-Sep-2009, 19:02
I don't *think* they were stolen. They were in a large leather bag that had about two inches of dust on it. Everything in it dated from before fall of the Berlin Wall (the Super-Angulon board was made in West Germany). I think the guy got it at an estate sale or found it in an attic. Had no idea what he had.

Not to gloat, :p but here's what else I got:

A Vivitar SLR
A Schneider Anglulon 90mm/6.8 with a recessed plate
A Leitz Summaron 35mm in LTM mount
Three or four Kodak Ektar cine lenses
A PanaVue slide viewer
A Topcon 25cm lens still in it's original styrafoam
A bunch of Polaroid close-up filters & a lens shade.

Yeah, I got really, really, lucky! I owe my buddy big time for spotting the bag. Otherwise, I'd have walked right by it.

Mike1234
8-Sep-2009, 19:03
The seller was on heroin or something....

BrianShaw
8-Sep-2009, 19:51
Not to gloat, :p but here's what else I got:
(snip)

What a nice bag of tricks. You're lucky. Very lucky. I hope that you stay lucky!

aduncanson
8-Sep-2009, 20:38
I think that the bag had belonged to the vendor's ex.

The Super Angulon seems to be mounted on a recessed Linhof Technika lens board, which is something of a standard. Many Linhof, Wista, Shen Hao, Chamonix, Walker, Osaka, Tachihara, Nagoaka, Ebony, Gandolfi and other cameras use lenses mounted on that board.

ChrisN
9-Sep-2009, 04:51
Good deal, Captainslack! I have this lens; it came with my Fotoman 45PS, but I also use it with a folding 4x5. Here's a sample as requested - no great art - made with the Fotoman, hand-held.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3372/3588827076_443bdeb646_o.jpg

eddie
9-Sep-2009, 05:45
great find! just the recessed lens board is worth 5-6 times what you paid. enkoy it. that is one of my favorite lenses for x45.

now go and buy a lottery ticket....you never know you may have just enough luck left over to win again.

eddie

venchka
9-Sep-2009, 05:57
Seriously,

If you change lensboards, I'll buy the Technika boards for a reasonable price. You'll get your $10 back plus a profit. Send me a PM when you know if the lensboards are for sale.

Great find!

venchka
9-Sep-2009, 05:59
I think that the bag had belonged to the vendor's ex.

The Super Angulon seems to be mounted on a recessed Linhof Technika lens board, which is something of a standard. Many Linhof, Wista, Shen Hao, Chamonix, Walker, Osaka, Tachihara, Nagoaka, Ebony, Gandolfi and other cameras use lenses mounted on that board.

Yes & no. There are two sizes of Technika boards. The IV-V size and the larger size. I have a Technika V and could use another board or two. The photo and age of the gear indicates that the board in the photo is from the Tech IV-V era. A friend has a new Shen Hao and his boards are bigger than the board on my Tech V.

shadowleaves
9-Sep-2009, 10:00
Last weekend, I was walking around the flea market when a friend pointed out a bag of camera equipment sitting on the ground in this guy's stand. I was looking at it when the vendor walked up & said I could have the whole bag for $10. As I'd just pulled this out, I jumped at the offer

Now, I have some questions:

1. Is this a good lens for 4x5? The Schneider website says it will cover 5x7, so I assume so.

2. What would be a good camera to mount it on? Would it work on a field camera like a Crown Graphic or a Tachihara?

3. Just so I'm clear, 90mm is wide-angle on an LF camera, right?

4. Does anyone have pics taken with this lens I could look at?

This is a fine lens. It's the single-coated version of SA 90/8 selected by Linhof. I have a pic here for your reference, taken with a SA 90/8 MC which is supposed to be very similar to yours.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/2948753618_c8f6e9449c_o.jpg

captainslack
9-Sep-2009, 12:19
Thanks, everybody!

@venchka: I'll keep you in mind about the boards. Not sure what camera I'll get to mount it on, so we'll see if I end up needing it or not.

venchka
9-Sep-2009, 12:36
Thanks, everybody!

@venchka: I'll keep you in mind about the boards. Not sure what camera I'll get to mount it on, so we'll see if I end up needing it or not.

Thank you. Standing by.

brian mcweeney
9-Sep-2009, 16:50
You should sell it to me for twice what you paid! (I generally try not to say this very often).

captainslack
11-Sep-2009, 12:32
I'm sending the lens to Flutot's for a CLA. Unfortunately, there's a two month waiting list. Looks like I've got plenty of time to think about what camera to mount it on. So, what would be some good models to look at?

I assume I can mount it on most any view camera with the proper lens board. However, I'm tending toward a field camera. This thing has a pretty sizable back end, so will I have any trouble folding it up?

venchka
11-Sep-2009, 13:19
I know where there is a beater Technika V that could make good use of a 90mm lens.

You'll be hard pressed to find a camera that will fold up around a lens like that.

Bob Salomon
11-Sep-2009, 15:58
I'm sending the lens to Flutot's for a CLA. Unfortunately, there's a two month waiting list. Looks like I've got plenty of time to think about what camera to mount it on. So, what would be some good models to look at?

Then why not send it to Bill at Pro Photo in Charlottesville, VA or to Pro Camera in Washington, DC or to any of the other excellent camera repair people? They are all as well or even better trained at what you need.