PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on the actual film inside Type 55

Hollis
7-Sep-2009, 09:58
I read on here a while ago about the actual film emulsion that makes up type 55. Im not looking for info on the instant film, just what the emulsion was, if I can get it anywhere (comes in rolls I think) and any developing info as well.

Let me know

Hollis@hollisbennett.com

Arne Croell
7-Sep-2009, 10:05
I read on here a while ago about the actual film emulsion that makes up type 55. Im not looking for info on the instant film, just what the emulsion was, if I can get it anywhere (comes in rolls I think) and any developing info as well.

Let me know

Hollis@hollisbennett.com

I remember reading many years ago that it was supposedly the Panatomic-X emulsion on a special thin support. Of course Kodak stopped selling that film to consumers way before 55p/n died.

Don Dudenbostel
7-Sep-2009, 19:01
In the early 70's a Kodak rep told me it was Panatomic-x. I once exposed it at ISO 32 and process it in Microdol-X with good results.

Glenn Thoreson
7-Sep-2009, 20:52
It's Panatomic-X. You can't buy the film. It was taken off the market many years ago, then only continued to be produced under contract with Polaroid.

Robert Hughes
8-Sep-2009, 07:28
So - what would be a currently available equivalent to Panatomic X? Efke 25?

David Beal
8-Sep-2009, 10:12
Ilford Pan-F would be probably be a good place to start. Efke 25 is allegedly orthopanchromatic.

Good shooting.

/s/ David

D. Bryant
8-Sep-2009, 11:20
Ilford Pan-F would be probably be a good place to start. Efke 25 is allegedly orthopanchromatic.

Good shooting.

/s/ David

Unfortunately Pan F isn't made in sheet sizes.

Don Bryant

Steve Hamley
8-Sep-2009, 15:47
You can probably still get Pan-X aerial in rolls, but it's about $600 for a 9.5" x 250' roll. I bought some earlier this year from HAS imaging in Dayton OH. If you search you'll find the thread with their number.

The film is a thin-base product that seems to me exactly the same as Type 55, both in thickness and in appearance as developed. The product number is 2412.

Cheers, Steve

Erick Regnard
8-Sep-2009, 19:59
Hi Steve,
Could you let me know their address and contact details (if you have it) as i'm in Australia and it would help me a lot.
Cheers,
Erick

Tim Povlick
8-Sep-2009, 21:18
Hi Erick,

Their contact info is:

http://www.hasimages.com/

Having developed type 55 in regular developer and the PanatomicX-II, they sure seem like totally different emulsions to me. The PanX-II is very contrasty / micro-grain. 55 is low contrast / grainy.

_ .. --
TiM

Steve Hamley
9-Sep-2009, 07:36
Eric,

See post #29

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=45354&page=3&highlight=Pan-X

Cheers, Steve