PDA

View Full Version : How about a NYC L/F Club - Meet Up Group

MITCH FALK
6-Sep-2009, 16:56
Just throwing out an idea to my fellow L/F photographers in NYC/suburbs - any takers ?

eddie
6-Sep-2009, 17:26
sure. we meet most every sat. and go shooting. where you been? come along.

we have been out for the last 4-5 weeks running.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=52912

Flexnib
10-Sep-2009, 17:21
It would be nice if I little notice would go up when these saturday trips are planned, or even a phone call. I have only seen one and that was the trip to PA. Where have the other 4-5 been?
Arthur

R Mann
10-Sep-2009, 19:17
It would be nice if I little notice would go up when these saturday trips are planned, or even a phone call. I have only seen one and that was the trip to PA. Where have the other 4-5 been?
Arthur

I made one of these, but NYC is a little hard to get "around" when you consider time, traffic and distance. I agree advance notice would certainly make planning to attend easier, but I also understand the "spur of the moment" may make for quick plans. Hope to see some more posts about possible days out.

eddie
11-Sep-2009, 06:00
Arthur

I agree advance notice would certainly make planning to attend easier, but I also understand the "spur of the moment" may make for quick plans. Hope to see some more posts about possible days out.

we shoot almost every sat!

it is a bit frustrating as i post this stuff and NO ONE responds and shows up. i gave a almost a weeks notice about the last ST Pa. trip. not one single answer here or apug.

i am not going this sat. but i think one guy is going to shoot in wiliamsburg this sat. maybe more. if you all want to go post here and plan to shoot in wiliamsburg.

eddie
11-Sep-2009, 06:03
Arthur

1. NJ water front. (i even shot wet plate)
2. brooklyn.
3. ulster county.
4. steam town pa 1
5. steam town pa. 2
6. ulster county.
7. conn.

i go most every sat. email me if you have time on sat and i will tell you my plan

eddie
11-Sep-2009, 06:05
i will be in the Daks this fall for the fall colors. probably the whole week end.

based out of LP area or keene. i will camp. anywhere from 3-4 weeks from NOW!

i am not one of those people that plan too far ahead. IMO too much planning and a rigid itinerary ruins the fun of i all. i tease my german friends ads they have their trips planned top the min, the train, the hotel, and the exact tripod hole locations.

i am more seat of the pants. when i travel overseas i just show up. no hotel, no transportation tickets nothing. just the seat of my pants. more fun for me. others do not like such spontaneity.

wanna go? more notice this time but no specifics.

eddie
11-Sep-2009, 06:12
one last idea! why not plan to shoot on sat. tell US where you plan to go and we will come. use as much notice as you need. if we can not make it go shoot anyway!

Pete Roody
11-Sep-2009, 08:45
as eddie said, a small group typically tries to shoot every weekend if weather permits. not much planning goes into this. many times we decide on friday night where to go on saturday. we met at the first group outing in central park that was set up by alec (2 years ago?).

i set up a couple of group outings in the past but have shied away from doing more because i can only go on saturdays and this seems to be too restrictive when trying to get a group together because many can only go on sundays. it is also difficult for me to commit to a date too far in advance.

as i said, most get togethers involve very little planning. a couple of weeks ago, eddie called on friday and said he saw an interesting ad in craigslist for a wooden box camera contraption that was located in brooklyn. eddie picked me up and we shot in brooklyn on saturday after seeing the wooden box. this works for us because none of us need much of a reason to go out and shoot.

i have shot at the following places in nyc recently but i want to go back so maybe you guys want to meet at one of these locations:

williamsburg, brooklyn: i want to take my big camera to shoot the wiliamsburg bridge bridge and some of the local architecture (russian church, sugar factory, views of manhattan, etc.).

staten island: i want to go back to historic richmond town. i would also recommend the fort at the verrazanno bridge.

i also want to go to the the high line and the wall street area.

if the weather improves, i will be in williamsburg tomorrow.

Flexnib
11-Sep-2009, 09:57
Pete what time? Where exactly would you be starting from?
Arthur

jaimeb82
11-Sep-2009, 13:30
I will try to keep my eye on this announcements, not for this weekend since I am going away.

Pete Roody
11-Sep-2009, 14:25
Pete what time? Where exactly would you be starting from?
Arthur

i haven't been starting that early as of late. the weatherman is also calling for rain in the morning. i never believe the weatherman, but he was right today. if the weather is ok, i would be there around 10am. i would probably start near the williamsburg bridge. if you want to meet up, drop me a pm.

iamjanco
11-Sep-2009, 17:55
i will be in the Daks this fall for the fall colors. probably the whole week end.

based out of LP area or keene. i will camp. anywhere from 3-4 weeks from NOW!

Eddie, that's funny, I'll be in the Daks too this fall for fall colors. Then bare trees, the first fall of snow, and that cold, harsh blowing wind on the frozen lakes. Want to hook up while you're here (I'm kind of spontaneous myself :D )

I'm just a stone's throw from Keene, halfway between Tupper and Saranac.

Flexnib
11-Sep-2009, 19:41
I am also heading to the Dakota's in the next 2 weeks.
Arthur

eddie
12-Sep-2009, 05:42
Eddie, that's funny, I'll be in the Daks too this fall for fall colors. Then bare trees, the first fall of snow, and that cold, harsh blowing wind on the frozen lakes. Want to hook up while you're here (I'm kind of spontaneous myself :D )

I'm just a stone's throw from Keene, halfway between Tupper and Saranac.

yes, great. check your pm

arthur berger
12-Sep-2009, 08:09
Where are the "Daks" anyway?

iamjanco
12-Sep-2009, 09:48
Where are the "Daks" anyway?

Daks is short for Adirondacks, upstate NY. Me, I'm about 125 miles NW of Albany, halfway between Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake, right smack at the top of Upper Saranac lake.

MITCH FALK
12-Sep-2009, 12:01
Anyone have anything going for next Sat. - Sept.19th ?
I finally have a weekend to myself and I'd really like to get some time behind the camera.

http://photo.net/photos/mitchfalk

http://www.pbase.com/advphoto

eddie
12-Sep-2009, 14:56
Anyone have anything going for next Sat. - Sept.19th ?
I finally have a weekend to myself and I'd really like to get some time behind the camera.

what are you proposing? when and where?

MITCH FALK
12-Sep-2009, 17:08
Just inquiring if anyone had anything in mind.
I'm just a rookie here, but I'd like to tag along with some of you "old timers" to pick up some tips on L/F stuff.

eddie
13-Sep-2009, 04:39
what are you proposing? when and where?

rookies can choose too! maybe a fresh mind/eye/idea is needed.

Pete Roody
13-Sep-2009, 09:49
i would recommend williamsburg, brooklyn. didn't make it there yesterday because of the weather so i will try again next saturday. it is easy to get to via mass transit. lots to shoot. you are all welcome to join me.

sgelb
14-Sep-2009, 18:28
hmm sounds fun..

MITCH FALK
15-Sep-2009, 15:46
October 18, 2009

Photo Workshop
3:00 PM 3 hour on island workshop

BANNERMAN ISLAND PHOTO WORKSHOPS

Thom Johnson & Robert Rodriguez Jr., Instructors

Shoot dream photos on Bannerman Island

Fund Raiser, $110 donation, includes lunch.

July 18 and October 18 . Call: 845-234-3204

Leoformat
1-Apr-2010, 19:03
Just found this post. I'm in Yonkers and work in the city. Starting in LF and would like to meet for photo taking get together. Anyone still interested?

Flexnib
1-Apr-2010, 21:22
Check Group and Meetingd section. We are getting together on May 1st

Leoformat
3-Apr-2010, 06:02
Sorry Arthur, I could not find anywhere where you guys are meeting. Could shed some light please?

rguinter
3-Apr-2010, 07:20
Some time down the road I would be pleased to join the group for a Saturday or two in and around NYC. I was there two weeks ago in Central Park but the park was still so dingy from the winter. Not much good for photos so I spent most of my time scouting. And last Saturday I parked in Weehawkin and rode my bicycle for miles up and down the waterfront for more scouting. I found several spots for future trips but again the weather and lighting were poor. Alas yesterday with knee surgery it will probably be summer before I'm ready to go back though. Bob G.

Flexnib
3-Apr-2010, 17:50
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=58964
This link should bring you to the info. If not then it is in the GROUP SECTION of this web site under wet plate collodium.
It is for all shooters not just wet plate. It will be a great time with a lot of nice people.

sherie
16-May-2010, 04:58
Hello,
I a newbie, is there a NYC group?
I would like to meet up with other L/F. I just got my first Linhof Technika.
Best,
Sherie

alec4444
16-May-2010, 16:51
Hello,
I a newbie, is there a NYC group?
I would like to meet up with other L/F. I just got my first Linhof Technika.
Best,
Sherie

Hi Sherie! Congrats on an awesome camera! There's no club per se, but there is a growing list of people that get together for various outings in the city with LF cameras. Frankly, there's enough enthusiasts in this area that a "club" of some sort might be a good idea so long as it's open and due-less.

A while back, I started a mailing list for people to announce outings (aka "I'm going here on Saturday at 11am, does anyone want to come?"). You can sign up for it here:
http://alec.com/mailman/listinfo/northeastlf_alec.com

As I get back into things, I hope to be posting a lot on this list and thus encourage others to do so as well. In the meantime, I've been weeding out the spam mail, so the likelihood of it causing an annoyance is low. Be sure to keep up on this forum (Groups and Meetings) as people post things here too.

Look forward to meeting you in the field!

Cheers!
--A

sherie
17-May-2010, 06:21
Thank You! Alec!
I joined up! You should have my email, I check in and keep me posted!
Best,
S

rguinter
19-May-2010, 09:22
Alec:

I too just joined. Would like to keep posted on others doing local NYC/NJ work. Bob G.

jaimeb82
21-May-2010, 11:43
I am a new register user also. how do I look for meets?

Jaime.

f1point0
25-Aug-2010, 23:19
I'm new to LF as well. I see that the last post to this thread was back in May, but would be interested if there are still people who meet up to shoot...

eddie
26-Aug-2010, 08:42
I'm new to LF as well. I see that the last post to this thread was back in May, but would be interested if there are still people who meet up to shoot...

A while back, I started a mailing list for people to announce outings (aka "I'm going here on Saturday at 11am, does anyone want to come?"). You can sign up for it here:
http://alec.com/mailman/listinfo/northeastlf_alec.com

--A

c.d.ewen
26-Aug-2010, 10:13
Hey,eddie:

I subscribed to this list some time ago, but have never received any emails. Have there been any lately?

Charley

eddie
26-Aug-2010, 14:02
Hey,eddie:

I subscribed to this list some time ago, but have never received any emails. Have there been any lately?

Charley

you never received n e mail as no one has posted a get together. post one and you will get an e mail....and a group will form to shoot at your suggested local....try it and see!

eddie
26-Aug-2010, 14:08
several of us get together most every sat. and shoot. i have been posting this for some time now. i invite many people. no one/very few people show. i get tired of posting, and having no one participate. we shoot no matter what.

that being said. i am planning to shoot in the kingtson NY area this sunday. 8/29/10. so far it is just me and one other....but i still need to ask my regular sat. crew! i have a wedding on sat. so i can not do it then.

SO! lets see who comes!

anytime is fine with me. very early (sun rise) or anytime after that is fine. probably figure 10am so the "city folks" can get here. i am available earlier for those that like to shoot in the good light.

eddie