PDA

View Full Version : 210 Xenar for 5x7 Portraits w little movements?

Frank Petronio
5-Sep-2009, 16:13
I'm looking to get into 5x7 and the older Xenars have always been good lenses for me in the past. I haven't boughten one yet, but I wonder if a 1950s-era Schneider Xenar 210/4.5 in a compound shutter will work for 5x7, I don't mind ~a little~ softness or vignetting at the corners, I just want a sharp center and nice bokeh wide open.

Any experiences with that?

Is there anything similar in a 240mm? I don't see many 240 Xenars listed.

Darren Kruger
5-Sep-2009, 16:53
I'm looking to get into 5x7 and the older Xenars have always been good lenses for me in the past. I haven't boughten one yet, but I wonder if a 1950s-era Schneider Xenar 210/4.5 in a compound shutter will work for 5x7, I don't mind ~a little~ softness or vignetting at the corners, I just want a sharp center and nice bokeh wide open.

I have a 21cm Xenar in a compound that dates from around 1942. I haven't used it to take pictures yet but I put it on my 8x10" to check coverage. It illuminates the whole ground glass though it gets soft in the corners. I think it would be real nice on with 5x7". From the 1939 catalog Schneider rates the image circle of the lens at around 220mm (sharp at small apertures.)

-Darren

Mike1234
5-Sep-2009, 17:42
Are you sure you want to use a normal FL lens for portraits? This is especially important since you mentioned "bokeh". You'd more likely be happier with a 300-450mm portrait lens.

Frank Petronio
5-Sep-2009, 17:45
Gee I don't know, I've never done portraits with a big camera before ;-)

(kidding - yeah I know what I want)

Mike1234
5-Sep-2009, 17:48
Okay then. :)

I have a newer coated 210mm Commercial Astragon in the classifieds I listed just today. I have an older uncoated Tessar in shutter laying around... somewhere... I can sell.

BradS
5-Sep-2009, 18:01
Frank,

I have two of the newer 210/6.1 Xenars (and two 150mm Xenars as well). I love 'em! They cover 5x7 just fine. Even the 150mm f/4.5 will light up all of 5x7. It gets kinda greesy looking in the corners though.

Go for it!

and...share some results!

(no. none of my Xenars are for sale! ...sorry).

Frank Petronio
5-Sep-2009, 18:16
Thanks. I want an older one with a nice rounded aperture Compound shutter this time around.

BradS
5-Sep-2009, 18:40
Thanks. I want an older one with a nice rounded aperture Compound shutter this time around.

yeah...me too :) Hope you find one. You'll not regret it.

Mike1234
5-Sep-2009, 18:42
Is this Compur aperture round enough for you? :) This is the 210 Commercial-Astragon I have listed in the classifieds. Sorry for the blurry ugly color... quick shot under a CFL.

Colin Graham
5-Sep-2009, 19:04
The xenars I have in compound shutters have double the aperture blades. They look comparatively round instead of just decagonal (sic?).

The 210 f4.5 in barrel also has the 20 leaves, but that might be awkward for Frank's approach. ;-] But mine covers 5x12, if in a psychotic sort of way.

chris_4622
6-Sep-2009, 09:18
If you use the lens wide open does the shape of the aperture blades have an effect on the image? If so, in what way?

John T
6-Sep-2009, 09:22
If the aperture is wide open, it doesn't. But if you need to slightly close down the lens it can make a pretty significant difference

Frank Petronio
6-Sep-2009, 09:46
I think it is partially psychological, like all matters of taste. I've gotten nice out of focus rendering from 5-bladed Copals -- Heck, Hasselblad lenses all have nasty pentagon-shaped apertures and you don't get many complaints about their bokeh.

But I want what I want ;-)

Allen in Montreal
6-Sep-2009, 11:02
Gee I don't know, I've never done portraits with a big camera before ;-)

(kidding - yeah I know what I want)

:)

Frank,

Thanks for the laugh!
If only I could shoot as much as you do, I would be a hell of lot happier!

One of my buddies that no longer shoots film has one a 210 X, he has traded a lot of stuff over the years but never parted with that lens. I think you will really like the look.

Jiri Vasina
6-Sep-2009, 11:20
Frank, I have a Xenar 210mm f/4.5 in Compound shutter that I regularly use on 5x8" and 13x18cm, for landscapes, portraits (less so), and close-ups. It does indeed cover the format even at infinity, and has a bit of room for movements. And I understand your want for one of them - the image my Xenar draws is very pleasing, very nice. (my Xenar has a S/N in the 1,5xx,xxx range, so is quite old, around the WWII).

If you have the mood (and time), you can browse through my images shot with this lens on various formats here on my website (http://www.vasina.net/?tag=xenar-210mm).

I have only one single issue with this lens - the coverage - if it were just a bit larger, I'd be in heaven, as I do employ movements in the landscapes. But it would not force me to sell the lens, no way :) ...

Here is just one recent sample:

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p5x8-071_web.jpg

Sunflower field

There is also a Xenar 240mm (I think f/4.5 too), but have only seen it for sale very few times. And I don't remember one in shutter (but my memory has failed me in the past regularly :) ). I think I have even seen a 270mm one, but I'm not certain about that...

Hope this helps.

Jiri

Jiri Vasina
6-Sep-2009, 11:27
This one here shows the OOF areas in a close-up shot, something you might be looking for:

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/linie/p4x6-023_web.jpg (http://http://www.vasina.net/?p=1198)

...for you?

this was shot at f/11.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p13x18-237-c_web.jpg (http://www.vasina.net/?p=1585)

Poppies

This was shot at f/9.

I don't have a shot wide open that is suitable for publication, but you get the idea.... :D

Jiri

Brian Bullen
6-Sep-2009, 11:41
There is also a Xenar 240mm (I think f/4.5 too), but have only seen it for sale very few times. And I don't remember one in shutter (but my memory has failed me in the past regularly :) ). I think I have even seen a 270mm one, but I'm not certain about that...

Hope this helps.

Jiri

Jiri, I have a 240 xenar 4.5 in a broken compound, so it used to have a shutter.:)

Paul Fitzgerald
6-Sep-2009, 16:03
Jiri, I also have a 240/4.5 Xenar in a broken Compound #4, needs some parts. It does cover 8x10 with a full round, clear aperture by f/22 at the corners, should give plenty of movement on 5x8.

Frank, good luck with the hunt, they are really nice.

Kirk Fry
6-Sep-2009, 22:10
A 12 in Commercial Ektar might be pretty nice.

Daniel Unkefer
7-Sep-2009, 07:04
I have a barrel 300mm F4.5 Schneider Xenar, it's great for certain 8x10 portraiture. I have it forward-mounted on a Sinar Norma board, so I can use it with the Sinar Shutter. It is very bright and easy to focus, due to the f4.5 aperture. I think it's too big around to go into a shutter, if I'm not mistaken. Awesome build quality, too.

Colin Graham
7-Sep-2009, 07:20
The 300 f4.5 fits in a #5 compound. Dwarfs my 5x12, but it's worth it.

Allen in Montreal
7-Sep-2009, 09:22
The 300 f4.5 fits in a #5 compound. Dwarfs my 5x12, but it's worth it.

Sweet set up!