PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question- Film storage

Michael Lloyd
3-Sep-2009, 14:47
Now that I have 4x5 cut film I'm not sure how I should store it. Should I put it in the fridge with the 120 / 220 / 35mm stuff that I have? Should I put the Polaroid 55 that I have in there too?

Ari
3-Sep-2009, 14:50
I assume you're referring to unexposed film.
Some keep it in their fridge, but any cool, dry and dark place will do.

Michael Lloyd
3-Sep-2009, 14:54
Yes.. sorry... Unexposed.

Cool. How cool is cool? 80°F ?

Ari
3-Sep-2009, 15:01
Cool for me is low humidity.
I keep all my film under a table in my darkroom, and even on the hottest day of the year, I can close the door of the darkroom, and it's a few degrees cooler than the rest of the place. I used to keep film in the fridge, but I hated waiting for it to warm to room temp before using it.
I realize that colour emulsions are more sensitive than B&W, but this set-up has worked well thus far.
If you think your storage area is too warm (I guess 80F and above) or too humid, though, by all means use your fridge.

Michael Lloyd
4-Sep-2009, 07:05
In the summer months, especially this year when we've had numerous 103°+ days, I have my thermostats set to adjust to 82° when I leave. That's why I asked about temperature. That and I also do not like to wait for the film to warm up.

BrianShaw
4-Sep-2009, 07:15
Should I put it in the fridge with the 120 / 220 / 35mm stuff that I have? Should I put the Polaroid 55 that I have in there too?

That's what I have done for more than 30 years. I put them in zip-lock bags. Lay the Polaroid flat, not on the side.

Robert Hughes
5-Sep-2009, 10:16
I store film in the fridge, either in sealed cans or wrapped in plastic bags. Color film goes bad after a few years no matter what you do, so use it as soon as you can. B+W seems to last and last as long as it's taken care of.