PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 210mm Super Symmar XL

Blumine
2-Sep-2009, 17:22
Does anyone happened to know the size of the rear element of Schneider 210mm Super Symmar XL? And is it threaded to accept filters?

I am thinking about buying one of these for use on my 11x14 and really need to look into it more. Any opinions on the necessity of the Centre Filter?

I looked through Shneiders catalouge but couldn't find any real information.

Thanks for the help.

Blumine

Robert A. Zeichner
2-Sep-2009, 17:36
72mm 0.75 pitch filters will screw into the rear cell.

BILL3075
25-Sep-2009, 17:46
What about a resource for 135mm-- sized filters to cover the front element? Except for the center filter, even Schneider doesn't make filters for this lens.

Eric Leppanen
25-Sep-2009, 18:12
What about a resource for 135mm-- sized filters to cover the front element? Except for the center filter, even Schneider doesn't make filters for this lens.http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/10-01-04/index.htm

IIRC Grimes sources their filter glass from Schneider, so if Schneider can't/won't supply the glass then Grimes can't make the filter. I think at one time I checked into buying a 135mm polarizer and Grimes couldn't get the glass from Schneider. YMMV.

Another approach is to have a custom 135-to-138mm step up ring made and use any number of 138mm round filters, such as:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/55803-REG/Tiffen_138CLR_138mm_Clear_Glass_Filter.html

The problem with these 135/138mm filters is that they get in the way in case you need the center filter. I also don't know where you can get a 138mm lens cap, you might need to have one custom made.

Any opinions on the necessity of the Centre Filter?When I shot with a SS210XL on my 8x10, I found that when using moderate movements, I needed the CF only when shooting chrome film (B&W and color neg were fine without the filter). When applying significant movements, I found the CF to be mandatory for all film types. These were just my preferences, other folks may differ.

Personally, I'm not a fan of purely protective filters since stacking too many filters will compromise image resolution, increase flare, etc.

vinny
25-Sep-2009, 21:21
138mm filters are common in the film industry, tiffen I believe but I think I've used schneiders as well.