PDA

View Full Version : Jobo tanks with cogs to manually process

Duane Polcou
1-Sep-2009, 13:12
If you purchase a Jobo film developing drum with a cog lid (for use with a rotary processor) can the cog be removed and replaced with a standard orange lid so the tank may be used for manual processing?

venchka
1-Sep-2009, 13:19
Best to find the other lid with the wide mouth and red cap. I have several of each.

Although, it apparently is possible to snap the cog out.

Thomas Greutmann
2-Sep-2009, 03:13
The cog is held in place with simple a snap-on system. You can remove the cog with pipe pliers (that is what I did) or anything that will give you enough lever to snap the cog off.

Greg Blank
3-Sep-2009, 18:34
I think if its done that way to be careful, Not to snap off cog teeth.

The cog is held in place with simple a snap-on system. You can remove the cog with pipe pliers (that is what I did) or anything that will give you enough lever to snap the cog off.

jdaivpmed
3-Sep-2009, 19:03
Duane,

I'm going to be picking up some Jobo drums from a local seller this weekend, by the sound of things they all have the "regular" tops - ie, no cogs. My CPP-2 and Eddie's soon-to-be-mine ATL-3000 both use the cog lids so if you have some drums with cog lids and want the regular lids maybe we can just work out a swap.

I'll let you know what I end up with later this weekend if you're interested.

Thanks,

John IV

CatSplat
4-Sep-2009, 18:46
Huh, all the tanks I use for manual processing on a rollerbase have the cog lids. Seems to work fine for me, YMMV.

Duane Polcou
5-Sep-2009, 11:36
I'll let you know what I end up with later this weekend if you're interested.

Thanks

Duane Polcou
5-Sep-2009, 11:38
Huh, all the tanks I use for manual processing on a rollerbase have the cog lids. Seems to work fine for me, YMMV.

But when you place the tank on its' side on the roller base doesn't chemistry leak out of the cog lid without a lid to seal it?

percepts
5-Sep-2009, 14:31
But when you place the tank on its' side on the roller base doesn't chemistry leak out of the cog lid without a lid to seal it?

Not unless you have over filled it. The volume of chemistry required is much less than 50% of the tank volume. For example, my 2521 tank has a total volume of over 1500ml when vertical, but for rotary processing it only requires 270ml, appox 1/6 th the total volume. So unless you tip the tank past horizontal, the chemistry shouldn't come out.

You can get big rubber stoppers that will fit the hole in the cog if it does leak/splash out.

venchka
5-Sep-2009, 16:11
I use the lids with cogs and 800ml of chemistry on a Uniroller base without spilling a drop. The cog lids actually hold more liquid when on their sides than the red stopper non-cog lids. The red stopper lids are for inversion processing by hand.