PDA

View Full Version : Posting Photographs in"On Photography"

rcjtapio
1-Sep-2009, 07:06
OK, so I have a dumb computer question:

Some photos posted in this section are done as attachments and display on the screen as thumbnails & can be enlarged slightly, but not that much as the file size needs to be small.

Other photos take up the whole screen & have a bigger impact in that they are displayed much larger than the "attachments" files. How are the bigger photos entered onto the forum to achieve the larger image?

Having asked that, even though these bigger photos have a greater impact when viewed on the computer screen, I do find it irritating that they also display again and again and again and again when someone responds to a post. I think seeing the photo once in the forum is enough for me not to mention taking up memory on the server.

Rick

Marko
1-Sep-2009, 07:22
They don't take any memory on the LF server because they are linked (and loaded) from external sites. The thumbnail/image sets do, however, because they are being hosted locally.

Whether they are displayed in the reply depends on the person replying - if they choose to quote the entire post they are replying to, they image will be repeated. If they don't quote or if they edit the quote to leave the image out, then it won't.

In general, life is a compromise - I would rather see some images repeating then not see any images at all.

Jim Cole
1-Sep-2009, 07:23
Rick,

Larger photos can be posted using the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the message response window and linking to the image that you have put on some public site like Flickr.

The repeating display of the image on a response is up to the respondee whether or not they edit the image out of the quote. Normally people do not include the image again if they are responding to the post directly underneath, but if a response is some ways down the posting list, the image may be included again so that folks reading the response can see the image being commented on without having to look back through sometimes many pages tryiing to find the reference.

rcjtapio
1-Sep-2009, 08:12
Makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Rick

Mike1234
1-Sep-2009, 11:04
OK, so I have a dumb computer question:

I've never had a "dumb computer" but I saw a dumb terminal once. :D

Heroique
1-Sep-2009, 11:49
[...] The repeating display of the image on a response is up to the respondee whether or not they edit the image out of the quote. [...]

For example, once you click “Quote,” the image part of the quote (not the words part of the quote) is indicated by the two bracketed codes: … . The link to the image is in-between.

If you wish not to quote (that is, re-post) the image, simply delete the two bracketed codes and what’s in-between. Or if it’s best to quote the image, one may simply keep the coded info there…

bvstaples
1-Sep-2009, 11:58
I've never had a "dumb computer" but I saw a dumb terminal once. :D

Every computer I've ever had has been dumb as a rock. Unless I specifically instruct it to do something, they just sit there...

Mike1234
1-Sep-2009, 13:56
Every computer I've ever had has been dumb as a rock. Unless I specifically instruct it to do something, they just sit there...

Mine is smart as a whip. You must own a MAC. :D

Marko
1-Sep-2009, 14:35

And therein lies the source of all computer-related problems - computers do exactly what we tell them to do instead of what we want them to do. :)