PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff 8x10 lenses on 4x4 boards?

Uri A
31-Aug-2009, 23:01
Hello all,

Is there any reason why I couldn't mount all my lenses on 4x4 Deardorff (or any!) boards (to save space in packing) and use one of those 6x6 to 4x4 adapters? Are there any lenses that might have a problem with this?

Thanks in advance

Jlentz
1-Sep-2009, 00:07
I've been mounting all of mine to 110mm toyo boards and using an adapter so I can still use them on my 4x5 without change boards. I haven't gotten any lenses that won't work with my 4x5 yet, those will probably go on a full size board. The storage issues would be a good reason to keep them all the same though.

Uri A
1-Sep-2009, 00:21
Hi Jlentz,

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to use DD 4x4 boards to kinda keep the look going, but I'm sure it's all the same.. You using an 8x10 DD with that adapter?

Robert A. Zeichner
1-Sep-2009, 04:17
Hello all,

Is there any reason why I couldn't mount all my lenses on 4x4 Deardorff (or any!) boards (to save space in packing) and use one of those 6x6 to 4x4 adapters? Are there any lenses that might have a problem with this?

Thanks in advance

I've been doing this for some time. Many of the lenses I use in 5x7 and 4x5 cover 8x10 and I feel the same way about hauling around lenses mounted on 6x6 boards. I made my own homemade adapter board out of a Deardorff 6x6 and some parts from a Calumet recessed 6x6 board which works great. The only time I run into a little trouble is with the two lenses I own that are in Universal 5 shutters. But, I've been shooting so little with my 8x10 Deardorff, that I haven't given it much thought lately. In fact, if the market wasn't so depressed, I would probably sell the 8x10 and the 12" and 14" Commercial Ektars.

climbabout
1-Sep-2009, 05:06
I have all my lenses for my 8x10 Deardorff mounted on 4x4 boards and use the 6x6 to 4x4 adapter - much less space needed. 4 of my lenses fit quite easily on the 4x4 boards - 159 wollensak, 240a fujinon, 300mm f9 nikkor, and 450c fujinon. I also have a 14" artar in a #4 acme shutter that just fits, but it fits nonetheless. I'm like to keep my kit very compact and all of this fits nicely in an Osprey Porter 46 back pack along with my meter, darkcloth and 4-6 holders.
Tim

S. Preston Jones
1-Sep-2009, 05:37
All of my lenses are mounted on 4x4 boards. I use a DD 6x6 to 4x4 adapter board for the 8x10 DD and have adapter boards to hold these 4x4 boards on my Sinar, Phillips and Arca Swiss cameras. I put the lenses in small patted zipper cases I bought a number of years ago at K-Mart. The largest shutters I have done this way were the large Betax and Alphax ones.

Preston

Archphoto
1-Sep-2009, 07:24
It makes a lot of sense to have your lenses on the smaller board, esp when you look at the room the big ones take when traveling with the camera.
I have almost all my lenses on Technika boards and have an adapter plate for the Sinar.
This setup works realy great.

There will be a time when you buy a lens that can not be fitted onto the smaller board, but that will be one or two maybe.

Go for it and check for light-leaks between the small lens plate and the adapter board and you are on your way !

Peter

Len Middleton
1-Sep-2009, 08:20
Uri,

Very common set up. Like Peter, my smaller lenses are on Technika boards, and the bigger ones that will not fit, go onto the standard 6x6 Dorff board.

My rationale was simple, I already had the lenses mounted onto the Technika boards for use with my Linhof, and when I got my V8 it was natural to leave them on their existing boards and get or build an adaptor board. It allows the use of the lenses on both cameras, and as noted takes up much less space. Although if you NEED to mount onto a 6x6 board, then it is not likely a compact and light lens is being mounted.

If you are keeping track, mine is another vote for doing it. Any "nays" out there?

Hope that helps reinforce your decision,

Len

MIke Sherck
1-Sep-2009, 19:00
All my lenses are mounted in 4" square lensboards for my 4x5 Zone VI; I made an adaptor for the 6"x6" (more or less) lensboards my B&J takes. Shutters up to Copal 3 or Ilex #4 have not been a problem; I haven't tried anything larger.

Uri A
4-Sep-2009, 09:05
Thanks very much everyone!

Very helpful advice. I have my lenses, but alas, my DD languishes in customs at Her Majesty's pleasure, so trying to figure out the setup in advance.

I actually couldn't find this post for some reason (I'm sober I swear!) so I briefly reposted, then saw this and tried to delete the new post, but couldn't work out how to do it.. I'll work it all out one day :o

Thanks again respondents!!