PDA

View Full Version : Newb lens question

Michael Lloyd
31-Aug-2009, 09:04
I have the following lenses, mounted on boards, for my Linhof Master Technika (as yet unused).

Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm; f6.8; Copal 0
Schneider Super Symmar 110mm; f5.6; Copal 1
Rodenstock Apo-Siromar-N 150mm; f5.6; Copal 0
Nikkor W 210mm; f5.6; Copal 1

The cable release for the Rodenstock lenses is different. All lens boards are Linof boards though. The cable release mechanism on the 90mm lens also sticks. From what I can tell, the release is not screwed into the two Rodenstock release ports. It is some kind of quick release mechanism. Is there something that I can do to not have to carry around two different cable releases?

Bob Salomon
31-Aug-2009, 09:16
You can contact Linhof service at 252 652-4401 and describe to them how they are set-up. It sounds like someone did a DIY assembly and did it incorrectly. If done correctly the release will not stick and there is only one release necessary, the Linhof one without threads, it is just a tapered cone.

Archphoto
31-Aug-2009, 09:18
You just push the cable release into place, if you want to release the cable release use the red sliding button.

The sticking 90mm cable release: it is out of allignment prob.
The cable release holder is helt into place with 2 screws at the back.
Loosen them a bit and wiggle untill everything works good again.
Fasten the 2 srews.

I love the Linhof system !

Peter

John Schneider
31-Aug-2009, 09:18
A picture would be a huge help. If I understand you correctly, the two Rodenstock's are in lensboards that have a Linhof Quicksocket system. In that case you need the compatible Linhof cable release, which both works with the Quicksockets and has the standard thread for screwing into cable release sockets.

Michael Lloyd
31-Aug-2009, 09:33
A picture would be a huge help. If I understand you correctly, the two Rodenstock's are in lensboards that have a Linhof Quicksocket system. In that case you need the compatible Linhof cable release, which both works with the Quicksockets and has the standard thread for screwing into cable release sockets.

That's the problem then. I have non-Linof cable releases. It's one step at a time but at least I'm making progress. Thanks gentlemen.

Bill_1856
31-Aug-2009, 09:43
Jezus, what an outfit!!!

Michael Lloyd
31-Aug-2009, 09:46
Jezus, what an outfit!!!

Shows how much I know...

I'm a DSLR guy that used to shoot film. I am heavily vested in Canon lenses and bodies... all DSLR... up to the 600mm f4... so when I look at my lens list... it's not so overwhelming... Apparently it should be :)

I wonder if this is what it feels like to have a sex change operation :D not that I REALLY want to know LOL

Mike1234
31-Aug-2009, 09:52
That's one fine grouping of Lenses, Michael. You might consider selling the 110 SS XL to fund wider and longer lenses for your kit. It's worth enough to pay for both a 65mm SA (or similar) and a 300mm Nikkor-M or 305mm G-Claron, etc. I consider the 110mm focal length as practically redundant to the 90mm. Lastly, it has W-A-Y more coverage than you'll ever need for 4x5 film. Or, if you prefer longer lenses, the sale of the 110 will fund that. It's just a thought.

EDIT: I don't know the bellows extension of your Technica but you'll likely need a telephoto design for anything longer than 300mm or so.

Michael Lloyd
31-Aug-2009, 09:58
That explains why the guy that sold his almost new Linof for a lot less than he paid for it... plus all the lenses, etc. was so remorseful... he sold all of it to buy a 1DsMKII. I love my 1DsMKII but I wouldn't sell my Linof setup to buy any new DSLR right now... To each their own.

I have another dumb question. I looked on B&H's site and they have Linof cable releases. I can't tell if they are quick release. They don't specifically say quick release anywhere in the info about them. Are all Linof cable releases quick release compatible or do I need something specific.

Bob Salomon
31-Aug-2009, 10:20
That explains why the guy that sold his almost new Linof for a lot less than he paid for it... plus all the lenses, etc. was so remorseful... he sold all of it to buy a 1DsMKII. I love my 1DsMKII but I wouldn't sell my Linof setup to buy any new DSLR right now... To each their own.

I have another dumb question. I looked on B&H's site and they have Linof cable releases. I can't tell if they are quick release. They don't specifically say quick release anywhere in the info about them. Are all Linof cable releases quick release compatible or do I need something specific.

The Linhof cable release accepts an add on screw-on nipple for the Cable Release QR Socket on the board. This nipple is supplied with the lens board. When it is on the end of a Linhof cable release the lock on the socket grabs it at the small gap formed at the end of the screw-on nipple and the cable release. As the nipple is a spare part it is sold by Linhof Service at 252 652-4401. It is part number 041066. The Linhof cable release without a threaded nipple is catalog number 002440. As most people today use the 041066 nipple the special cable release is a special order only item that can be ordered from any camera store. Delivery would be about 30 days. The nipple is probably open stock at the service center.

You can use the nipple on all Linhof cable releases. In the USA the following cable releases are sold; 002429 - 13", 002430 - 17", 002431 - 21" and 002434 - 29.5". The nipple fits all of them.

venchka
31-Aug-2009, 10:41
Michael,

You can use the other 2 lenses! I am dying to see your gear. I'll even donate some HP5+ and Tmax 400 to your film selection quest.

Good luck!

Michael Lloyd
31-Aug-2009, 11:19
The Linhof cable release accepts an add on screw-on nipple for the Cable Release QR Socket on the board. This nipple is supplied with the lens board. When it is on the end of a Linhof cable release the lock on the socket grabs it at the small gap formed at the end of the screw-on nipple and the cable release. As the nipple is a spare part it is sold by Linhof Service at 252 652-4401. It is part number 041066. The Linhof cable release without a threaded nipple is catalog number 002440. As most people today use the 041066 nipple the special cable release is a special order only item that can be ordered from any camera store. Delivery would be about 30 days. The nipple is probably open stock at the service center.

You can use the nipple on all Linhof cable releases. In the USA the following cable releases are sold; 002429 - 13", 002430 - 17", 002431 - 21" and 002434 - 29.5". The nipple fits all of them.

Thanks Bob... I called the number but nobody answered. I left a message on the machine. Didn't sound very service center-y.

Mike1234
31-Aug-2009, 11:41
Michael, in case you haven't gotten the message by now, that's one fine damn outfit you have. :)

Michael Lloyd
31-Aug-2009, 12:32
:D Leave it to me to blunder into something good and not know how to use it LOL I'll get here. I really like this board. I appreciate all the help you guys have given me.

Bob Salomon
31-Aug-2009, 12:49
Thanks Bob... I called the number but nobody answered. I left a message on the machine. Didn't sound very service center-y.

That's Marflex, he retired to NC a couple of years ago but still does the Wista and Linhof service. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, there are not a whole lot of these that need service. So he might go sailing in the nice weather!

You can also email him at marflex@aol.com