PDA

View Full Version : Gossen Lunasix 3s Zone system scale?

Matthew Rolfe
31-Aug-2009, 07:28
Hello,
I am hoping that I can get some help on how to use a Gossen Lunasix 3s......as I am really stuck. I do not have the manual for it and I am unsure as to how I should use the Zone system dial.
when I take a lightmeter reading I have to turn the dial so that the number from the indicator scale is inline with the yellow triangle in the transfer scale. But what I want to know is, how do I go about placing that exposure on Zone V, or any zone? Do I have to place the same number from the indicator scale opposite the desired Zone V?? From an exposure I took earlier I tried this and by placing the same indicator number (15) opposite both the yellow triangle and opposite Zone V made my exposure 6 stops less? Where am I going wrong? or is this correct?
I know that this may be a really stupid question but I do not have the instructions and the online instructions fail to explain full how to use the lightmeter, especially the Zone System scale.
Many thanks
Matthew

BetterSense
31-Aug-2009, 09:05
If I'm thinking right, the lunasix is an incident/wide angle reflected lightmeter. As such, any readings you take in incident mode will be zone V readings and any readings you take with the reflected light mode will be assumed by the lightmeter to be zone V.

Typically you meter the shadows and put them at zone 1-2 or something, and then meter your highlights and see how you will need to develop your film to place the highlights at zone 7-8. With an incident meter, you will have to physically go into the shadows to measure the light, and similarly walk out into the middle of the waterfall or whatever to meausure the highlights. The zone system seems to be something people apply with spot-meters.

JW Dewdney
20-May-2011, 19:48
Yes- it works exactly like a spot meter. Just walk up to your subject and if it's something you imagine to be a zone VIII highlight for example - meter it - then set the dial to zone VIII, read the exposure, meter for zone III, say - and if it's giving you a readout of more than five stops difference, then underdevelop accordingly, etc... right?

They're fantastic meters... been using one forever... always go back to it.

jeroldharter
25-May-2011, 11:15
Independent from using your meter's zone dial, consider reading Beyond the Zone System by Phil Davis for good information about using an incident meter for zone system work. I much prefer the incident meter to my spot meter 99% of the time.