PDA

View Full Version : Can You ID This Camera?

dmperry24
30-Aug-2009, 07:58
Can you identify the camera in the attached photo? I apologize for its bad quality, but it is a still from a video of a video made into a DVD. Any help would be appreciated. It kind of looks like a Toyo-View 4x5 to my unpracticed eye. I have also attached another view of a similar camera showing the lens and a possible logo on it. Any hints on the possible lens would also be appreciated. Again--bad image quality...sorry. As a side note, that grizzled old hand on the right belongs to George Hurrell - yes, THE George Hurrell - extolling the virtues of this camera for his use in the last part of his career. TIA.
Mike

Thomas Greutmann
30-Aug-2009, 08:07
Looks like a member of the Linhof Kardan family. Maybe a Linhof Kardan Super Color ST.

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2009, 08:13
It is the Linhof SC JBL 45.

dmperry24
30-Aug-2009, 08:19
Thanks guys for your quick response. I just joined this forum a few minutes ago. I am a large format novice, but I have done a few 4x5 product shots in the past, and want to take up that once again. Thanks a million again. I'm gonna love this forum!
Mike

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2009, 09:09
Thanks guys for your quick response. I just joined this forum a few minutes ago. I am a large format novice, but I have done a few 4x5 product shots in the past, and want to take up that once again. Thanks a million again. I'm gonna love this forum!
Mike

Are those cameras at Camera Wholesalers?

BTW, The one on the left is very similar to and accepts the same accessories as the current version of it, the Kardan RE. To give you a value to judge by the RE retails for about $2,100.00 with the 5 year US warranty without a lensboard. The cameras (note the s) you pictured two different cameras. The one on the left is a Kardan SC JBL. The one on the right is the Kardan Standard 45. The Standard had a fixed bellows that allowed full movements with any lens from 65mm to 360mm. It accepted Technika 45 boards where the JBL accepts Kardan boards. The ST did not have the shoe on the top of the front standard for a compendium - the shoe is visible on the right camera but is not on the image on the left.

dmperry24
30-Aug-2009, 10:53
Bob:
You are correct the view that shows all of the camera is in a retail shop in California (I doubt if they still have it as the video was made around 1990). The close up shot showing the lens is the model Hurrell was using to take some portraits in the video (he was working in 4x5 at the end of his fabled career, but he still got some excellent shots). So they are two different cameras. Thanks for the lead on the Kardan -- I'll check it out.
Mike