PDA

View Full Version : cable release thread snapped off in shutter release thread

rphenning
28-Aug-2009, 22:37
I guess my 50 dollar cable release really wasn't worth as much as I paid. I was shooting the other day and the release simply fell out. There was no unnatural twisting or turning or pressure on my part.

So now I am stuck with about 4 turns of a cable release thread stuck in the shutter release of my copal shutter. I have no idea how to get these threads out. Help?

resummerfield
28-Aug-2009, 23:12
Most modern cable releases have a tapered thread, so it should be fairly easy to unscrew the broken part. Try placing a very small drill bit--ideally a left-turning drill bit--into the broken-off part, and slowly turn it out by hand. Be patient, go slowly, and be very gentle, and it should come right out.

Vaughn
28-Aug-2009, 23:16
My best guess would be to buy the smallest size Easy-Out at a hardware or auto supply store. It is sort of like a screw with reversed threads. As you screw it into the hollow treads of the cable release (turning it counter-clock-wise), it will eventually jam itself tightly and then start turning the broken cable release threads.

Good luck! My only use of easy-outs have been auto-related (man...don't I hate breaking bolts off in flywheels!)

Vaughn

Erik Larsen
28-Aug-2009, 23:39
I have had that happen as well, I just stuck a tiny jewelers screw driver in the hole and it came out easily. Good luck
erik

rphenning
29-Aug-2009, 00:04
I will try all of these soon, thanks everyone.

Michael Graves
29-Aug-2009, 05:52
I guess my 50 dollar cable release really wasn't worth as much as I paid.

Gepe?

Archphoto
29-Aug-2009, 07:12
One reason why I use the Linhof quick cable release mount on all my 4x5 and 8x10 lenses: no screwing to do, nothing to break off......

Peter

BrianShaw
29-Aug-2009, 12:36
If I didn't think it was an invitation for disaster, I'd be tempted to say something like, "Nothing like that ever happened to me" and "I have never spent that much money on a cable release". But that might bring bad luck. So let me say this: Sorry to hear about your dilemna. A small screwdriver jammed in the hole (or easy-out if you have one that size) will likely remove the remnant with very little effort.

Michael Graves
29-Aug-2009, 15:35
I'm with you. The one time I spent big bucks on a cable release, it was to buy an Ebony. Now, I have had great luck with the Ebony and I think it is a great product. But I have two Nikon AR-3s that I think are every bit as well built and feel smoother. So while I won't say anything negative about "expensive" cable releases, I think you can do just as well for twenty bucks or less. I got a Gepe used for about ten bucks that looked, felt and smelled brand new. It broke on third outing where I put it to use.

If I didn't think it was an invitation for disaster, I'd be tempted to say something like, "Nothing like that ever happened to me" and "I have never spent that much money on a cable release". But that might bring bad luck. So let me say this: Sorry to hear about your dilemna. A small screwdriver jammed in the hole (or easy-out if you have one that size) will likely remove the remnant with very little effort.

rphenning
3-Sep-2009, 15:45
unfortunately nothing worked. I am now looking for a new release mount for my Copal 1.

To add some clarification the shutter release was not 50 dollars. I made a mistake in claiming it to be so, it was closer to $15-20. The entire order that the release came with was around $70 so I think I might have replaced that in my head / subconsciously wanted to be dramatic. I found this out when I looked up the order to find out who made it so I could write them some fan mail.

CatSplat
4-Sep-2009, 11:28
An Easy-Out couldn't remove it? Wow.

paradoxbox
12-Sep-2009, 11:43
try this : put some loc-tite on the end of a finishing nail that is small enough not to touch the threads of the cable release clip thing. connect the end of the nail to whatever's remaining of the cable release and let the loctite set. then use a pair of pliers to rotate it out.

i've used this method to fix ancient stripped screws in old cars for years. works every time.

Darren H
12-Sep-2009, 15:25
I had a similar thing happen using a Gepe release in a Mamiya 645. Mine sheared off leaving just a few mm of the taped screw in threads stuck in the camera.

Luckily placing just the end of one side of a pair of needle nose pliers in it and turning brought it out.

After that I went back to the simple $5 Kalt cloth cable releases and have never had a problem.

Good luck on getting it out.

Bob Salomon
12-Sep-2009, 15:29
I had a similar thing happen using a Gepe release in a Mamiya 645. Mine sheared off leaving just a few mm of the taped screw in threads stuck in the camera.

Luckily placing just the end of one side of a pair of needle nose pliers in it and turning brought it out.

After that I went back to the simple $5 Kalt cloth cable releases and have never had a problem.

Good luck on getting it out.

Sorry you had a problem. Had you returned the Gepe release to your dealer or to us it would have been replaced at NC under warranty.

J Ney
3-Nov-2009, 14:44
If I didn't think it was an invitation for disaster, I'd be tempted to say something like, "Nothing like that ever happened to me" .

Funny... this just happened to me about two weeks ago. For me, it was definitely "operator error" rather than the cable-release failing.

These are good tips and I'll try them out when I get home tonight. I've tried a dozen other methods but to no avail.

gevalia
4-Nov-2009, 13:23
Sorry you had a problem. Had you returned the Gepe release to your dealer or to us it would have been replaced at NC under warranty.

We're all smart enough to know this is marketing. Please refrain.

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2009, 13:25
Funny... this just happened to me about two weeks ago. For me, it was definitely "operator error" rather than the cable-release failing.

J. I should have added "YET" to my statement. :D

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2009, 13:26
We're all smart enough to know this is marketing. Please refrain.

I'm not that smart. Please speak for yourself, or please refrain. It seems to me like he is simply stating a fact. What useful fact did you state? :rolleyes:

evan clarke
4-Nov-2009, 13:46
Follow the jewelers screwdriver advice. You should be able to find a spot on the highest thread where the break occurred and can use it as a tab to gently unscrew the tip of the release. I have done this more than once..Evan Clarke

Len Middleton
4-Nov-2009, 13:46
I am sure Bob does not need defending, as his integrity and honesty in his answers generally speak for themselves.

I certainly have found him to be very knowledgeable and informative.

I would not expect him to disparage the products that HP Marketing sells, but he is up front and not hiding behind anything (e.g. an alias).

I can be extremely cynical and analytic with regards to people's motivation.

However Bob has not ever triggered my BS alarm...