PDA

View Full Version : Geronar Questions

Mark Stahlke
27-Aug-2009, 18:39
Some time ago I acquired the lens cells for a Caltar II-E 210mm f/6.8. I believe this is the same as a Rodenstock Geronar. Eventually I put the lens in a shutter and tried it out.

I have to say I'm delighted by this little lens. That got we wondering about other Geronars or Caltar II-Es.

I'm aware of a 150/6.3 and a 300/9. Are there other Geronars? Are the 150 and 300 as nice as the lovely 210?

Thanks,
Mark

rdenney
27-Aug-2009, 19:13
Are the 150 and 300 as nice as the lovely 210?

The 150 is. The Geronar is a triplet and when used at f/22 or so is as sharp as anything. And with the multicoating and only three elements it's a contrasty lens. It's also very light and easy to tote along.

Rick "completely happy with his" Denney

Arne Croell
27-Aug-2009, 19:57
Some time ago I acquired the lens cells for a Caltar II-E 210mm f/6.8. I believe this is the same as a Rodenstock Geronar. Eventually I put the lens in a shutter and tried it out.

I have to say I'm delighted by this little lens. That got we wondering about other Geronars or Caltar II-Es.

I'm aware of a 150/6.3 and a 300/9. Are there other Geronars? Are the 150 and 300 as nice as the lovely 210?

Thanks,
Mark

There was also the 90mm f/8 Geronar WA, a 4/4 classic double Gauss wide angle similar to the WF Ektars,with 85° coverage

Oren Grad
27-Aug-2009, 20:05
I have the 300/9. It's small (in a Copal 1) and about as lightweight as a 300mm lens in shutter that covers 8x10 can possibly be. It doesn't allow for a huge amount of movement on 8x10, so it wouldn't be my first choice unless I were trying to put together an ultra-ultra-light outfit, but if you don't need the movement and are going to stop down it's a perfectly competent lens.

Glenn Thoreson
27-Aug-2009, 20:11
Fhe 210 is a very sharp lens. Tests show f/16 as the sharpest aperture, with 72 lpmm. They aren't very expensive, either, which makes them even better.

Mark Tweed
27-Aug-2009, 22:13
I'll speak up for the 90mm wide angle Geronar for those not in the know. It's my primary landscape wide angle as it provides the necessary coverage for my needs (I typically use back standard movements with this lens), it's incredibly sharp, multi-coated and much more compact in the bag than any of the wasp-bodied f5.6 or f8 plasmat style 90mm wide angles. It takes smaller 58mm filters, which happens to work well with the rest of my lens package.

This Geronar is mounted in a custom Copal 1 shutter so it's bigger and heavier than the more petite Congo 90mm, 100mm Wide Field Ektar, or 90mm Angulon lenses. But it my own tests, it betters the Ektar and a late model Angulon in performance. The Congo I haven't had any experience with.

So unless you're dealing with architectural subjects, the 90mm Geronar is a superb 90mm lens to consider, especially when you're toting it into the backcountry for days on end.

Mark Stahlke
28-Aug-2009, 06:36
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll keep an eye out for some of these lenses in the future. Right now I'm busy keeping an eye out for a job. It's probably best not to start coveting new lenses until I find one.

Cheers,
Mark

Eric Rose
28-Aug-2009, 06:49
I've got the 150 and 300 currently and have had the 210. All are very sharp and contrasty. The low weight is a real bonus when traveling. I also have a 210 Nikkor and quite frankly can't see any difference in a 16x20 print from either 210 lens. Same goes for my 150 Rodenstock APO whiz-bang lens and the Geronar..