PDA

View Full Version : make copal 1 lens board from copal 3

speedtrials
26-Aug-2009, 10:48
Hey guys,
First let me apologize if this is already answered somewhere, as I wasn't sure exactly what to search. I have a Kodak Master view lens board drilled for copal 3. I sold my copal 3 lens and am getting a (lighter) copal 1 lens to replace it. I only have the one lens board and getting another one is pretty pricey so I was thinking I could modify the lens board (in a non-permanent way) to take a copal 1 lens. I don't have a workshop to fabricate my own lensboard so I thought the simplest thing would be to drill a piece of plywood for copal 1 and just attach it to the lens board with some white glue or some double sided tape. I think if I decide to go back to copal 3, I could undo this. I am only going to have the one lens and its pretty unlikely that I'll get another so I only need one lens board. But maybe there is a better way to do it that you guys know of? The lens I'm going to be attaching is pretty light (something like a fuji C 300mm which is 250g or a 305mm g-claron which is 460g) so it seems doable to me. What do you guys think? Is there a better way to cobble this together?
Thanks,
Nick

jb7
26-Aug-2009, 11:19
Cobbling is good...

If you have a large enough overlap, you could use black silicone-
this is non permanent, if you need to remove it you could slice through the junction with a blade-

Residue should be easily removable-

Just check it periodically to make sure it's still stuck-
it doesn't like sticking to some bare timbers,
so a coat of varnish or paint might be good-

Vick Vickery
26-Aug-2009, 11:36
I've done this many times, pretty much as Joseph describes it. I like the black silicone because I feel that it does away with any possible lignt leaks; be sure to paint be back of the new section of board flat black. Oh, by the way, the 1/8" plywood you find at hobby shops is good for this.

MIke Sherck
26-Aug-2009, 13:22
Double-sided tape is often vulnerable to heat. I'd go with the silicone adhesive if it were me. Let it cure for 24 hours after you apply it and you should be good to go.

Mike

Jim Galli
26-Aug-2009, 14:17
Electricians have special washers for putting a smaller piece of conduit into a too large knock-out hole. Reducing washers. You might get lucky and find a match.

Jeremy Moore
26-Aug-2009, 15:03
Electricians have special washers for putting a smaller piece of conduit into a too large knock-out hole. Reducing washers. You might get lucky and find a match.

I've seen this done before and it works beautifully if you can find the right size.

BrianShaw
26-Aug-2009, 17:50

Plumbers have rubber washers to do the same thing, like mate a 1-1/4" tailpiece to a 1-1/2" trap. If you are into rubber, try a plumbing shop instead of an electrics shop.

speedtrials
27-Aug-2009, 10:58
Hey Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post a picture once I get something together.
-Nick

speedtrials
27-Aug-2009, 15:20
Here's a cool bayonet mount board for sinar I found on the bay....wish I could source the parts they use.