PDA

View Full Version : Velvia 100 8x10 "Film Fungus" !?

LH1H17
26-Aug-2009, 08:16
Help.. I just got a few sheets of Velvia 100 8x10 back from the lab with tiny RED SPOTS all over the image! (size is much larger than typical film grain, but small enough to be discreet to the naked eye). Spacing is quite even, but somewhat randomly distributed, and over the entire image. The unexposed borders, however are not affected. Only cause I can think of is that I left these sheets in their holder for several months unexposed; would it be possible that the humid Tokyo air has caused "film fungus" to strike? Is there such a thing?? :confused:

Drew Wiley
26-Aug-2009, 11:01
Don't know if this is your problem or not, but mildew-type fungus does love things like
film, prints, anything involving gelatin. It's a food source, their "Jello". I'm always
concerned about humidity and film, whether unexposed or developed.

Nathan Potter
26-Aug-2009, 12:58
H1N1 culture on your gelatin - watch out! Just kidding of course. ;) Are the spots about all the same size? Do the size of the spots vary and what are the sizes? Are they evenly distributed or random? Your description of this above is somewhat confusing.

More likely to be a condensation or errant splashing during processing phenomena. :)

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Tim Povlick
26-Aug-2009, 20:35
Hello LH1H17-san

I find it odd the spots do not show up over the entire film. There is plenty of space for the mold to get under border area. I had some Fujilfilm in 8x10 also in holders for about 2 months (in plastic bag) and just got these back from developer today and no spots. I am about 5 km from the ocean in S. California, USA.

I would check inside of camera / film holders for possible loose particulates. Perhaps it was done at time of processing.

Best Regards,

Tim

Darren Kruger
26-Aug-2009, 21:42
Help.. I just got a few sheets of Velvia 100 8x10 back from the lab with tiny RED SPOTS all over the image! (size is much larger than typical film grain, but small enough to be discreet to the naked eye).

Have shown the film to the lab where you had the film developed and asked their opinion?

It could be a processing thing. I have had some C-41 film come back with spots that was caused from some stuff growing in the processor.

It might be something else and the lab might have seen something similar from other customers and figured it out before.

-Darren

LH1H17
27-Aug-2009, 00:27
H1N1 culture on your gelatin - watch out! Just kidding of course. ;) Are the spots about all the same size? Do the size of the spots vary and what are the sizes? Are they evenly distributed or random? Your description of this above is somewhat confusing.

More likely to be a condensation or errant splashing during processing phenomena. :)

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

The sizes are almost ALL identical. The distribution is fairly even but not entirely so... which makes the whole thing resemble the stuff that grows on petri dishes in the labs of Biology class past :rolleyes: