PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 and 13x18 film holders ... same dimensions?

Paul O
23-Aug-2009, 07:33
Hello! I have just realised a mistake in ordering some sheet film - I thought I was buying 5x7 and the seller has sent 13x18 sheet film ... even though I also bought 5x7 sheet film holders from him (and the film was advertised as 5x7!) :confused:

I appreciate that both 5x7 and 13x18cm holders can be used in 5x7 cameras ... my question is this - are the film holders (aka as "double dark slides" here in UK) exactly the same dimensions in particular the thickness of the holder?

Thanks Paul

Morten
23-Aug-2009, 08:21
are the film holders (aka as "double dark slides" here in UK) exactly the same dimensions in particular the thickness of the holder?

Yes, on the outside!! But not on the inside... 13x18 cm film will not fit in a 5x7 holder, just a bit to wide. And 5x7 film will appear to fit a 13x18cm holder, but will fall out of it position.... Dont ask how I know this!! :)

So You need either to return or re-sell the film or get 13x18 cm holders.

Best Regards
Morten

Archphoto
23-Aug-2009, 09:55
I don't know how much film you have bought, if it is a small amount and it is too big you could trim it in total darkness with a rotary cutter with a stop mounted at the right position, otherwise I would send the film back.

Peter

George Hart
23-Aug-2009, 12:23
Hi Paul, isn't it crazy that in this day and age there are 2 sizes so close, and even more that some manufacturers still cut film for both sizes??!! I guess that each had its origin on either side of the English Channel.

It's perverse too that the holders have the same external dimensions, and even more so that the areas of exposed film are also very close. Schneider's brochure gives the following dimensions: 5x7 inch size, 121 x 170 mm; 13 x 18 cm, 122 x 171 mm!

Maybe we could propose that the film companies settle on one size, but who would agree as to which it should be? Or should they divide the difference?

Jiri Vasina
23-Aug-2009, 22:52
The outside dimensions of standardized 5×7", 13×18cm and HalfPlate (4¾×6½") holders are all the same, only the inside is different. I use all of these three sizes. No problem.

If I were you, I'd not cut the film (13x18cm to fit in 5x7" holder), instead buy one or several 13x18cm holders. They might be useful also other times. (try going to the German eBay).

Jiri

Paul O
24-Aug-2009, 01:12
Hi George - agree entirely!

Hi Jiri - you read my mind! I actually bought 6 13x18 film holders from Ebay Germany last night! They seem to be readily available and at realistic prices too! 13x18 film seems to be available in both the UK and EU so hopefully no issues!

Thanks as always! Paul

Pete Watkins
24-Aug-2009, 02:57
Jiri,
I've got a load of half plate film holders, where do you get your film. I'm assuming that you cut 5x7 or 13x18 down. We have only one source of half plate film in the UK that I can find and as far as I know their film is out of date.
Best wishes,
Pete

Paul O
24-Aug-2009, 04:29
Pete
Have you tried Ag Photographic in Birmingham? A newly opened venture and their website lists a myriad of different film sizes from Ilford, Adox, Efke and Kodak.

Jiri Vasina
24-Aug-2009, 05:13
Pete, no I do not cut the film to HalfPlate format.

I have some Wephota film (from sheetfilm.be* - see bellow) and also have recently bought Fomapan 100. Foma does offer Fomapan 100 in that size, although it's listed only in their Czech version of webshop, and a bit cryptic - it's listed as 12×16.5cm. They do not list it elsewhere. You could try to ask your local Foma supplier if they could provide it. I think Fomafoto.com (webshop from Norway) could supply it too, but I'm not sure.

*few word to sheefilm.be are needed: it's a webshop operated by a guy named Geert van den Broeck (also a member of the forum here). The shop is running OK, although at times it might seem it's down, closed or whatever. My impression is that he sometimes has difficulty in communication, the delivery times for the films are quite long (several weeks to months), though everything I have ordered so far was delivered, or I did get a full refund if it was not deliverable. I'd cautionary recommend using his shop - you have to count on long delivery, on your emails sometimes being answered after several days/weeks (or not at all). But he does deliver.

The Wephota films are nice, no problems with them at all...

Hope this helps

Jiri

Peter K
24-Aug-2009, 06:22
Foma does offer Fomapan 100 in that size, although it's listed only in their Czech version of webshop, and a bit cryptic - it's listed as 12×16.5cm.
Jiri,

12×16.5cm is another of this old metric plate sizes like 10x15, 12x16, 13x21 etc. The image size, not the film size, of 5x7" is 120x170mm.

Peter

Pete Watkins
24-Aug-2009, 07:02
Thank you all for your help. Paul, I'm hopeing for great things from Ag in Brum. They're within driving distance from here. I've been it touch with Matt and he sounds like a nice bloke. He doesn't have a lot of competition here does he? Retro & Mr. Cad don't really count for anything. Jiri, the 12 x 16.5 sounds useful as well, I'll look into it, thanks. Gert has not had a good press recently.
Thanks again,
Pete.

Jiri Vasina
24-Aug-2009, 10:48
... Gert has not had a good press recently.
Thanks again,
Pete.

Some of the "not good press" was also started by me in one of the threads. To make it more precise, I have to add that the film it concerned was delivered OK approx. 3-4weeks ago (some 2 months after order), and the Wephota NP24 film which I ordered and is not available for extended period of time was fully refunded approx 10-7days ago (it has since been taken down from the offer on his webshop). (my order was placed on ~15th May)

Jiri