PDA

View Full Version : best cut film holder?

Jan Becket
23-Aug-2009, 03:31
Not sure if this belongs in the "gear" section, but is there a general consensus about the 2-3 best 4X5 sheet film holders?

Since Quickloads have been discontinued, I've got to migrate back to film holders, unfortunately. Toyo?

Thanks!
- JB

Peter De Smidt
23-Aug-2009, 04:46
There was a thread about this not too long ago. There were proponents of each of the major holders, Fidelity, Riteway and Toyo.

Bob Salomon
23-Aug-2009, 05:13
Either the Linhof Double Cut Sheet Film Holders or the Linhof Plate/Sheet Film Holders but both are, like Fidelity, Lisco, Riteway out of production. Except the Linhofs have been out of production longer.

Joanna Carter
23-Aug-2009, 05:26
Since Quickloads have been discontinued
Quickloads have not been discontinued for all films, only for Acros 100.

Brian Ellis
23-Aug-2009, 06:04
I have to disagree with Bob about the Linhof plate/sheet holders. They're bulkier than others, heavier than others, less convenient to load and unload (at least they were for me), and tend to sell for considerably more than other used holders that do at least as good a job. Like anything Linhof, they're quality products that are very well made but I ditched mine after feeling compelled to keep them for a year or so just because I paid so much money for them (relative to other holders).

John Kasaian
23-Aug-2009, 06:43
With used film holders, what is "best" might better depend on the condition of each specimen rather than on the manufacturer.

That said, for 4x5s, I find that the plastic Riteway Graphics (old style) and Bacos appear to have survived the passage of time in overall better condition than the other makes I've used. I have yet to come across a veteran Riteway Graphic or Baco that was a "leaker" although the Bacos often look to be pretty well thrashed so they wouldn't win any beauty contests. But Beauty is as beauty does.
The old black wood Graphics OTOH seem to be the most prone to leak of any in my 4x5 stash (note I'm talking of 4x5s here, the 8x10 version ROCKS!)

I hope this helps :)

BradS
23-Aug-2009, 09:44
I have to agree with John. If buying used, what is best is usally what ever you can find that is still in good condition. The modern plastic holders from Fidelity and Lisco are almost identical and are generally is the best condition as they tend to be the newest - ie last produced.

I personally don't think there's any real difference worth troubling oneself about between any of the modern plastic holders and I have some of all of them). The lone exception is the very last Fidelity-Riteway holders with the darkslide lock - I really dislike those - others love 'em.

Jan Becket
23-Aug-2009, 13:15
Quickloads have not been discontinued for all films, only for Acros 100.

Right you are, Joanna. All I shoot is B&W, so there I am, holderless. I noted your 8/20 post in the announcements section about manufacturing a new product that would fit in a Quickload holder. I'll be looking forward to it.

I used Mido holders for about three years. They worked OK - once one had mastered the convoluted technique for loading them without ruining them. It sounds like you are coming up with something similar and hopefully more sturdy. At the very end, Mido briefly sold a clamshell-design thin, light metal holder, which unfortunately leaked light. I always thought that product, with just a little more R & D, would be ideal.

There was a View Camera Magazine article at least 10 years ago in which somebody measured tolerances on various holders and found the Linhofs to be among the very best in that regard, along with Grafmatics. Too bad they are not lighter. John is probably correct, though - for used holders the condition of individual items counts more than the brand.

I hadn't realized that Fidelity, Riteway and Lisco are all discontinued. I think I'll pick up some new Toyos until a more compact product comes along.

Oren Grad
23-Aug-2009, 13:31
I hadn't realized that Fidelity, Riteway and Lisco are all discontinued. I think I'll pick up some new Toyos until a more compact product comes along.

Production has stopped, but new Fidelity holders are still readily available, albeit at prices higher than you may be used to.

Kirk Fry
23-Aug-2009, 16:16
I kind of like my lone Linhof holder. It has a little numbering wheel where the negative gets numbered and a locking device that prevents you from pulling the dark slide unless the holder is in the camera. Yes I know you can notch your holders so you can tell which film got shot in which holder, but the locking trick is nice. They are not that much heavier. Otherwise if it doesn't leak light it is a good holder. KFry

Lachlan 717
23-Aug-2009, 17:03
There was a thread about this not too long ago. There were proponents of each of the major holders, Fidelity, Riteway and Toyo.

Jan,

You can find the tread here. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=48324)

I decided that the best option was to avoid wooden holders.

In the end, I bought some Toyos. Absolutely happy with them. I also purchased a Lisco Regal II and cannot find any difference between it and the Toyos.

Lachlan.

SamReeves
24-Aug-2009, 09:26
Lisco-Fidelty, it hasn't given me a problem as long as you're gentle with them. I agree with the above on looking for a good used lot to save some cash. The price of a new pair is pretty expensive.