PDA

View Full Version : Xenar 5.6 / 150 in Copal N0.0 shutter problem

numnutz
22-Aug-2009, 12:05
I have a Xenar 5.6 / 150 mounted in a Copal N0.0 shutter. I noticed when out last week that a ring covering the front of the shutter mechanism was missing, after a search I found the ring but there doesn't seem to be any way of fixing it into position apart from what looks like small spots of adhesive.

Can anyone suggest a method of securing this ring or can I use the lens without it? :confused:

Thanks in advance

nn :)

Archphoto
22-Aug-2009, 15:51
Normaly, there is a ring that threads onto the shutter.
That ring is held into place with a tiny little pesky screw that can be lost so easyly.....

Might have one for you in the second half of September when I am back in Holland again.

Peter

IanG
23-Aug-2009, 07:14
Looking at my own 150mm 5.6 Xenar I'd guess the ring must be glued in place somehow.

It's cosmetic and sits above the ring Peter mentions, and would have to be removed to service the shutter. It's there because the front barrel of the Xenar is very much smaller in diameter than a Symmar/Sironat etc.

Ian

Archphoto
23-Aug-2009, 07:23
Can you post a pic of it or can you send me a pic by mail of that part ?

It is a bit hard to believe that a ring, even for cosmetic reasons has to be glued into place: how are you going to service the elns then when needed ???

Peter
archphoto@aol.nl

IanG
23-Aug-2009, 07:41
Here's a comparison.

Xenar shutter on the left, Sironar on the right. Contact adhesives are used all the time with camera's etc, after all that's how the bodies on 35mm & 120 camera's are covered and repairers just lift the covering to get at the screws etc

So the right glue won't be a problem, there can't be any other way it's could be held in place.

Ian

Archphoto
23-Aug-2009, 10:03
I agree with Ian.
Just use some contact glue sparingly at 3 or 4 points, just enough to hold the ring into place.

By the way, the shutter Ian has can not loose it's screw: they should have done that with all shutters !

Peter

numnutz
26-Aug-2009, 10:15
Thanks for all your answers

nn :)