PDA

View Full Version : Formulary's Kodalith Developer

tgtaylor
19-Aug-2009, 19:56
Anyone familiar with Photograqphers' Formulary Kodalith Developer (Film developer 70).
Is this developer suitable as a lith paper developer?

Drew Wiley
19-Aug-2009, 20:24
A very good A/B developer for their lith film, but haven't tried it with paper. Just received their latest catalog, which has a couple of new papers which are purportedly good for this kind of purpose.

tgtaylor
19-Aug-2009, 20:37
A very good A/B developer for their lith film, but haven't tried it with paper. Just received their latest catalog, which has a couple of new papers which are purportedly good for this kind of purpose.

Thanks for the reply.

Kodalith is highly recommmend in The Master Photographer's Lith Printing Course by Tim Rudman. I orderd it last Friday and it was shipped same day (I just received it). Then, on Saturday, I was reading Rudman's The World of Lith Printing where he states "...similar to the Ansco 70 formula...and is probably better suited to film development (its intended purpose) than lith printing." So Sunday I ordered the Moersch Lith Developing kot from Freestyle which I also received today. I'm going to start with the latterf first but I'm wondering if the Formulary kit will also work.

sgelb
20-Aug-2009, 11:10
hmmm.

i have a 1950s box of kodalith.. i want to shoot it soon.. any idears on best way process it? will it be ultra high contrast? it asa 12?

Nathan Potter
20-Aug-2009, 17:39
sgelb, I mentioned in another thread here several days ago that I used to develop Kodalith using paper developers Dektol or Selectol at 1:3 dilution, continuous agitation. I would get a decent tonal range that I could use for masking and other derivative purposes. You ought to obtain base fog to D 1.5 or so. 1950s' Kodalith! Good luck - but OTOH it is a very dense emulsion.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

tgtaylor
20-Aug-2009, 19:12
Thanks for the replys everyone. Rather than developiong lith film, I'll be developing paper for lith prints. Since lith printing is completely new for me, I'll be starting with the Moersch developer after which I'll try the Formulary Kodalith and post my results.

Sounds like fun to me!

Thomas