PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Polaroid coming back?

Paul Kierstead
19-Aug-2009, 11:13
Polaroid's 8x10 instant films to make a come back (http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=867790)

It will be interesting to see where this goes. The article seems a bit confused.

IanMazursky
19-Aug-2009, 13:14
Wow...Very interesting. Im crossing my fingers on this one.
I still have hopes for Type 55 though.

Ben Syverson
19-Aug-2009, 13:50
Holy crap. This is great news!

I've always wanted to try some 809, but it's like $1300 on eBay.

William McEwen
19-Aug-2009, 14:23
Please, please, please bring it back and make it as good as the old stuff was. It was GORGEOUS stuff.

The processor was always a gooey mess, but it was all worth it for those rich silvery delicately beautiful photos.

And by the way, a few years ago, Ron Wisner mentioned that Polaroid was testing a positive/negative 8x10 film. I wonder what happened with that...

Walter Calahan
19-Aug-2009, 14:35
I hope this is true!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Syverson
19-Aug-2009, 21:47
And by the way, a few years ago, Ron Wisner mentioned that Polaroid was testing a positive/negative 8x10 film. I wonder what happened with that...
Haha, I can tell you what happened with that.

Engineer: Hey guys, you'll never believe what I made! It's like type 55 for 8x10! The market is smaller, but the negative is bigger!
Executive1: Didn't we fire this guy back when we filed Chapter 11?
Executive2: Yes, sir. He must have found a loose floorboard in the lab somewhere. I'll have security do another sweep for spiderholes.

Aaaaand scene.

Tim Povlick
20-Aug-2009, 12:14
Does the processor require power? I am wondering if one could use the 8x10 in the field to verify exposure. Weight?

It would be nice to see Fujifilm make an instant color film in 8x10 as the 4x5 really rocks. The expense of the 4x5 holder doesn't rock.

Tim

Steve Hamley
20-Aug-2009, 12:19
Tim,

Some of them used a hand crank.

Cheers, Steve

William McEwen
20-Aug-2009, 13:01
Polaroid made an 8x10 processor that had to be plugged in to the wall for power. It whipped the print/negative through, and deposited a lot of glue on the rollers. You had to clean the rollers after one or two photos or the next print woudn't come out.

Unless you were shooting still lifes, you needed an assistant to operate the processor, since it required a lot of constant attention.

The prints were worth the trouble, though!

Calumet made a hand-cranking version, but I never tried it.

lecarp
20-Aug-2009, 14:58
Does the processor require power? I am wondering if one could use the 8x10 in the field to verify exposure. Weight?

It would be nice to see Fujifilm make an instant color film in 8x10 as the 4x5 really rocks. The expense of the 4x5 holder doesn't rock.

Tim

Tim, Calumet made a portable field processor that folded to a very compact size compared to the polaroid models. No power required. I have two processors and plenty of 81-06 holders for field and studio use.

William McEwen
20-Aug-2009, 15:25
Polaroid made an 8x10 processor that had to be plugged in to the wall for power. It whipped the print/negative through, and deposited a lot of glue on the rollers. You had to clean the rollers after one or two photos or the next print woudn't come out.

Unless you were shooting still lifes, you needed an assistant to operate the processor, since it required a lot of constant attention.

The prints were worth the trouble, though!

Calumet made a hand-cranking version, but I never tried it.

NOTE: Replace GLUE with GOOO.

Tim Povlick
20-Aug-2009, 20:55
Thanks William, Steve and lecarp for the response.

Perhaps if this film is brought back portable processors will be available.

Best Regards,

Tim