PDA

View Full Version : Focusing cloth

Santo Roman
17-Aug-2009, 23:59
So I decided to get rid of the focusing cloth I had which I think was a Princz. Cheap but I really felt like I was trying to keep in over my head even when there was no wind. Anyone have a good one that they can recommend?

santo

I should also mention that I'm in Seattle for a month and a half so if possible I like to get it from Glazers or another local area.

Alan Butcher
18-Aug-2009, 05:20
The BlackJacket focusing cloth is good, both for light blocking and wind conditions. I have and use both the 4x5 and 8x10 versions.

http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/BJ_SPECIFICATIONS/BJ_NEW_HOME_FRAME_.htm

--
Alan Butcher

William McEwen
18-Aug-2009, 07:07
I have a nice Zone VI that I bought in 1984. I like it and have made every single LF pic with it since then. Zone VI is out of business but it looks like Calumet's "Black and White Pro Focusing Cloth" MIGHT be similar.

jeroldharter
18-Aug-2009, 07:55
I have used regular horse blankets, BTZS, and Blackjacket. The best by far is the Blackjacket. I have the 8x10 version which is large but folds down to become useful padding for the camera. I have the hybrid version which seems to breath OK.

jeroldharter
18-Aug-2009, 07:59
By "best" I meant that the quality of materials and craftmanship is very high. The ability to attach to the camera is effective and versatile. The opening can be cinched down with a drawsting or by plastic buckles for larger adjustments. The sleeves work OK but I am still getting used to that. The zippered bottom is nice but can be left open. I comes with a good stuff sack although I don't use it.

Len Eselson
18-Aug-2009, 08:19
Ditto on the Black Jacket. Keith Walket is a great guy to do business with.
Len Eselson

Santo Roman
18-Aug-2009, 09:34
Sounds great. Thanks for the help.

santo

Lynn Jones
18-Aug-2009, 14:07
Sounds great. Thanks for the help.

santo

I've lived and worked much of my life in warm climates, when it is 90F to 105F you sure don't want a black focus cloth over your head, the white/black cloth is great for we view camera folks. I thought I had invented it but I was wrong, lots of people made that discovery.

Lynn