PDA

View Full Version : Arca-Swiss F Line vs. Wisner Technical Field

Erik Asgeirsson
10-Nov-2001, 20:54
Which of these cameras, the Arca-Swiss F Line or Wisner Technical Field, is more desirable for mostly field use with occasional studio/tabletop photos? How do t he two compare/differ for field use?

Ellis Vener
11-Nov-2001, 07:14
Definitely the Arca will be better for tabletop work. It will your life much easier.

I think the Arca-Swiss is better for most field use as well, though I mainly photograph buildings and urban landscapes. Jack Dykinga uses an Arca-Swiss FC camera for his landscape work.

Mike Kravit
11-Nov-2001, 09:23
Eric,

I use two LF cameras. An Arca Swiss F-Line Metric Orbix and a Ebony SV45U. Obviously the Arca is a monorail and the Ebony is a folding field camera. I use both for landscapes and studio still life shooting. Both the field and monorail cameras have their positive and negative aspects, but in general it all depends on your working style and preferences. What works for me may not work for you.

I have used Wisners and must say that between the Arca and Wisner, the Arca is much better made, more precise, and will allow you much more flexability. If I were to own only one 4x5, I would have a tough choice between my two. But if the choice is between the two cameras you mentioned, I would take the Arca hands down.

Mike

Bruce E. Rathbun
12-Nov-2001, 15:34
Eric, There is no question that the Arca-Swiss is the better choice for your situation. I use the Wisner myself in the 5"x7" size. I do both studio and location work. I would have no problems using the Arca- Swiss on most locations. In some cases I would like to have a beat up old field camera for some location work. The more expensive & fancy a camera looks, the more attention that it can gather. My approach is to have the least amount of attention as possible when I shoot. Hope this helps.