PDA

View Full Version : Is this sleezy, or what?

Petzval Paul
16-Aug-2009, 18:43
Take a look at this auction which recently ended and pay close attention to the serial number:

http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350214719033

Now look at you-know-which-ebay-spammer's new listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270443368757&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3025wt_928

Can we all agree that they are the same lens? What happened to the remaining digit on the serial number? Am I missing something obvious here? This appears to be awfully sleezy to me and I just don't see how an engraved digit can disappear like that.

goamules
16-Aug-2009, 19:59
Hey Paul. This seller has been known to doctor photos before. Caveat Emptor as always. But I don't know why he'd do it, buying something and reselling it is a business model that is pretty common. What's he trying to hide? Or maybe make it appear older???? Oh yeah, did I mention caveat emptor?

BrianShaw
16-Aug-2009, 20:15
If it keeps going like that it will be a LOT older and REALLY rare soon!

Turner Reich
16-Aug-2009, 20:46
This seller has one of the best presentations for product display that I've seen, too bad they are deceptive.

DeBone75
17-Aug-2009, 18:09
No connection, nor defending but they are in two completely different locations. Unless my German is really that bad.

Archphoto
17-Aug-2009, 19:15
You are right with that, Graz is in Austria, Europe, the other lens is in Australia on the other side of the world.......

Peter

Petzval Paul
17-Aug-2009, 19:35
DHL delivers worldwide =;-)

Ginette
17-Aug-2009, 20:30
The lens look the same for me. Look at the front dent under the inscription.

To complicate the research ...
The first seller (from Austria) (called him NO. 1) didn't sell the lens to the actual seller of the lens but to this guy (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=fairy_finland&ftab=AllFeedback) (call him NO. 2) you can see the feedback from the Austrian seller (NO. 1) on Jul-03-09 05:43
Is it that guy NO.2 who erase the serial number ???

Now if we try to found the lens reselling... Searching in the lens buyer profile (NO. 2) , we can see no selling later than 18.06.08 (also all sales are done PRIVAT)
Let give a try in the profile of the Australian seller that list the lens actually (callled him NO. 3), curioustly he have no buyer feedbacks!!

Complicated!!! ... not at all.
I forgot to tell you that the guy NO. 2 also came from Australia ...
So the guy NO. 2 and NO. 3 is the same person, under 2 pseudonyms. Maybe he will tell us that he clean the barrel too much !!

John Schneider
17-Aug-2009, 23:41
"cameo_need_ham" is only the latest, as far as I can tell, persona of the same seller. Prior to that there was the infamous pak_harry194, and later ocean_image, cia_love_animal, claes_ms255, and chalen_in_eggbay.

One of my saved searches always brought up his listings (always the same presentation), so I continually had to update the search to block his latest ebay handle. None of these other handles has sold anything in a year or more, so it's entirely possible that he uses still another handle to buy things that he later hawks at silly prices.

eddie
19-Aug-2009, 04:35
he or she does this all the time. buys by one name and sells as another.

the best part is this seller/buyer is also a member of LF forums! i sold him/her a lens the other day. i am waiting to see how the description shows up when he sells it.

a friend sold him a lens also. CNH followed his MO on that one as well.....

Toyon
19-Aug-2009, 13:55
What is the fellow's Forum moniker?

kissssss
1-Oct-2009, 17:26
Item is relist! :)

AgentX
15-Oct-2010, 14:34
Dammit, I bought from Ocean_image and got destroyed.

I bought a 135mm heliar from him that came in a compur shutter missing an aperture blade. He sent another shutter, but this shutter couldn't take the aperture scale off the original shutter, and was missing the cable release block. SK Grimes took care of it for me, and O_I only sent me $35 back to cover part of the cost.

And I bought a Petzval from him as well. Unfortunately, I had no camera to test it on until today...just discovered it makes no discernible image at any focal length. Grrrrr.

goamules
15-Oct-2010, 16:04
Don't forget the feedback through FeeBay.

Check the lens config. I got lucky recently on a very expensive petzval that was also making a strange image, and the spacer was missing in the rear. It was stacked under the two glasses! Fixed, viola! good images.

Brian Stein
16-Oct-2010, 00:10
Yes, this fellow raises the standing of my countrymen on the international scale enormously!
I did have the potential folly of buying a lens from him prior to learning his habits; it was not too bad fortunately.

swmcl
16-Oct-2010, 00:56
I'm sorry to come in at a late stage on this thread but it seems to me that identifying dealers with poor records should be allowed. I can't get a reasonable understanding from the forum what item it was because it has been removed from EBay and who it was. Now I could go and get shafted !

My sympathies go to all who have been burnt.

Hovmod
18-Oct-2010, 09:25
Oof. I wish I'd seen this before I bought from this guy.
I just paid, and the seller was indeed ocean_image.
Now you've got me all worried.

:o

Frank_E
18-Oct-2010, 10:29
I suspect that a very good proportion of LF photographers who use these brass lens bought in Australia, are also members of this forum. So you can now expect that there will soon again be a different seller in Australia flogging brass lenses....

Whenever I check ebay for Brass lenses I notice a disproportionate number of these lenses located in Australia, was always wondering why, wondering no more....

Stephane
18-Oct-2010, 10:58
I bought from him a couple of times. At least his bad publicity means you are the only one bidding and get decent prizes. I will probably buy again from him, but will never from the classic lens guru who throws big names to equalize a landscape meniscus lens with a pinkham or portland or perscheid...

Jim Galli
18-Oct-2010, 11:20
both links now broken. Maybe ebay is in on it too. :rolleyes:

Stephane
18-Oct-2010, 11:30
both links now broken. Maybe ebay is in on it too. :rolleyes:

Not ebay, but time... Its over a year old.
That's also what the Ozzie seller is using with his several user accounts to get back to 100% feedback.

Jim Galli
18-Oct-2010, 11:49
So I'm flogging a horse that's been dead for a year. My bad I guess.

Frank_E
18-Oct-2010, 11:54
I might be wrong here

but my interpretation of the comment
was that he is resurrecting an old account (over a year old)
and the reason for doing that is because the negative feedback on that old account is time dated, and that feedback has now dropped off of the account, making it look better than it actually is...

Kirk Keyes
18-Oct-2010, 12:11
Jim, the first post is a year old.

goamules
18-Oct-2010, 14:15
Dammit, I bought from Ocean_image and got destroyed.

I bought a 135mm heliar from him that came in a compur shutter missing an aperture blade. He sent another shutter, but this shutter couldn't take the aperture scale off the original shutter, and was missing the cable release block. SK Grimes took care of it for me, and O_I only sent me $35 back to cover part of the cost.

And I bought a Petzval from him as well. Unfortunately, I had no camera to test it on until today...just discovered it makes no discernible image at any focal length. Grrrrr.

Guys, just because this thread started in the past doesn't mean anything. The current problem just appended to the OP. The above was just posted a couple days ago. The problem seller makes bad sales every month. This is one of many threads about this seller, under various names.

Jim Galli
18-Oct-2010, 15:08
Guys, just because this thread started in the past doesn't mean anything. The current problem just appended to the OP. The above was just posted a couple days ago. The problem seller makes bad sales every month. This is one of many threads about this seller, under various names.

Here's (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33814) one I started about him also. I used to turn him in for the title spamming but after a while when nothing gets done, that seems pointless.

Lachlan 717
2-Nov-2010, 15:08
"cameo_need_ham" is only the latest, as far as I can tell, persona of the same seller. Prior to that there was the infamous pak_harry194, and later ocean_image, cia_love_animal, claes_ms255, and chalen_in_eggbay.

One of my saved searches always brought up his listings (always the same presentation), so I continually had to update the search to block his latest ebay handle. None of these other handles has sold anything in a year or more, so it's entirely possible that he uses still another handle to buy things that he later hawks at silly prices.

Just so you're aware, "ocean_image" is now back as "vintage_optics"….

Two23
2-Nov-2010, 19:31
Just so you're aware, "ocean_image" is now back as "vintage_optics"….

Thanks for the update. I've had good luck over the years on eBay, but I'm venturing into equipment I'm just now learning about. I know I've looked over all of this guy's stuff over the past month. I asked him a question or two and he couldn't seem to come up with answers I expected, so I didn't bid. A community like this one can go a long way to keep eveyone safer.

Kent in SD

Lachlan 717
2-Nov-2010, 19:43
Thanks for the update. I've had good luck over the years on eBay, but I'm venturing into equipment I'm just now learning about. I know I've looked over all of this guy's stuff over the past month. I asked him a question or two and he couldn't seem to come up with answers I expected, so I didn't bid. A community like this one can go a long way to keep eveyone safer.

Kent in SD

I have purchased a lens from this Seller (can't remember just which alias s/he was using), and it wasn't too bad (duplicitous description, but it works okay).

The thing that concerns me is this: what is causing the need to change names/sell under a different alias?

It seems that most Sellers want as many sales under one name to support their bona fides. Why dilute your presence?

goamules
2-Nov-2010, 20:26
Because when you get a bunch of bad feedback, you can switch to another user name until a year later when they drop off the rating. That should tell you something.

Lachlan 717
2-Nov-2010, 21:36
Because when you get a bunch of bad feedback, you can switch to another user name until a year later when they drop off the rating. That should tell you something.

Maybe we should time this incarnation; I think you're onto something here...

dsphotog
2-Nov-2010, 21:40
Maybe that's the guy that sends all those pesky emails about unclaimed $ in Nigeria?

Hovmod
3-Nov-2010, 01:45
I'm off to the post office to pick up my purchase.
The seller's name on the package is "Carla Warla", with a P.O. Box address.

I'm screwed, aren't I?

Lachlan 717
3-Nov-2010, 01:50
I'm off to the post office to pick up my purchase.
The seller's name on the package is "Carla Warla", with a P.O. Box address.

I'm screwed, aren't I?

She might know Julia Goolia from"The Wedding Singer"...

Hovmod
3-Nov-2010, 04:35
Well, the lens arrived in fairly good shape, despite cheap and not too safe packaging.
The focusing mechanism works, the lenses seem clean and undamaged, and they are correctly mounted (as far as I can tell).
I think maybe this is what I expected, at a not too bad price. We'll see once I get it mounted.

So far, so good. Phew.