PDA

View Full Version : Budget Scanning Options

byronfry
16-Aug-2009, 17:08
Hello guys, so I just picked up a crown graphic and I am looking to get a scanner so I can put my negs online. I don't think I want anything super quality because if I end up printing then it would probably be for a gallery show, and they would need to be drummed scanned and printed rather large. So all I want to be able to do is make nice clean scans for the web quite quickly so I can view my images and keep a bit of a library that I can organize to a binder with images for quick editing before needing to go to print. I think an emphasis on quick would be nice too. I have found an older looking Epson V350 on a local classifieds for $30, and I also have Vuescan which I used for my Nikon V when doing 35mm.

Any help? I'm using a macbook right now if that helps in anyway.

Thanks!

Greg Lockrey
16-Aug-2009, 17:17
Bare minimum these days is the Epson V700-750. You can get a decent 3-4 times enlargement with it. You will be hearing about Howetec 4500 etc too.

byronfry
16-Aug-2009, 17:54
A v750 seems really pricey for what I want, I don't need to do any enlargements because I will be getting the film drum-scanned for any big printing, just something for putting them online that scans quickly and does a good clean job? What about a agfa arcus II scanner does anyone know anything of this scanner? There is one for sale locally cheap.

Peter De Smidt
16-Aug-2009, 18:07
Hi Byron,

Agfa hasn't made scanners for awhile. As a result, make sure you can get the drivers you need. I used to have a Canon 9950F flatbed, and it worked fine. One of their cheaper models would probably do what you need for less than a comparable Epson. An older Epson would also probably be fine, such as a 4990. (I think that's the right model.) Probably anything that'll do 4x5 would work for what you need. Newer ones tend to be much faster.

byronfry
16-Aug-2009, 18:10
Thanks Peter!

Jon Shiu
16-Aug-2009, 18:15
The epson 3200 also does a good job with 4x5 scans, although it doesn't have ICE.

Jon

venchka
16-Aug-2009, 18:47
I have an Epson 1680 for 4x5 and smaller. A friend has an Epson 4990 for 4x5 and smaller. We're happy as clams. We print 5x5 up to 16x20 (6x7 original) from 35mm, 6x6, 6x7 & 4x5.

Lon Overacker
16-Aug-2009, 22:34
Byron,

If price is a major concern, check out the HP G4050 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=52237). I've been using this scanner for over 2 years and am very happy with the results relative to the price. I've made many a print at 16x20 and I've just finished prepping 8 files for 20x24." The files look great and I'm confident the prints will look good too.

Pre-scans are very fast once the scanner is "warmed up." Scanning a color positive at 2400 may take 5 or more minutes at 16bit, but that's ok for me. I also use the default HP software.

I'll make no claims that this scanner at that price ($169) is better than the Epsons or anything else, and it's probably not, but just passing along my experience.

Good Luck,
Lon

Gordon Moat
17-Aug-2009, 00:13
The cheapest solution would be a two bulb light table, and setting almost any slightly modern digital camera as a copy stand, as long as your digital camera can focus at near macro distances. If you do a search here, there was a thread a little over a year ago in which copy stand type of set-up with light table was compared to low end scanners. The results were more than good enough for website or computer viewing, though might fall short for making prints.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

byronfry
17-Aug-2009, 11:46
Hmm, I don't really have a lens that focuses near macro and that seems to me it might be a bulky affair. I am still having troubles because most of what I can find in a local store only has the V700 that scans 4x5. Does anyone know of something in the $250 range at most that will scan that I can pick up in a department store and not have to order over ebay.

venchka
17-Aug-2009, 11:48
Two Epson 4990s were listed for sale here in the last month. As I recall they were $250 or less. One of them may still be available.

Unless you must buy new. Did you check the Epson Clearance Center Online for refurbished scanners?

The V700-V750 twins are gone from the clearance center. They were there last week. You have watch closely. Be ready to pounce on one.

Ben Syverson
17-Aug-2009, 15:46
The 4990s are great machines. The V700-750s are better by a tiny degree, but it was not enough of a difference to my eyes to justify the price.

byronfry
17-Aug-2009, 16:02
I can get a new HP G4050 here for $210, which is closer to my price range. I comes with a 4x5 film holder and I am hoping it will do what I need. Does anyone have anything to say against this scanner?

Gordon Moat
17-Aug-2009, 16:49
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26087&highlight=G4050

That's the thread you want. Though if you use the Search feature on the forums with G4050, then you will find several more threads. However, I recommend reading that thread first, before you buy an HP G4050 scanner.

Lon Overacker
17-Aug-2009, 17:28
With all due respect, posting a thread that's nearly 2 1/2 years old isn't quite fair. The poster initially stated the scanner couldn't do transparencies and wasn't supported on Vista. Both of those are not correct. At the time of the posting the scanner had only been released for 3 months. I know because I bought one when it was released.

I initially had very poor scans, escalated through support and they promptly replaced the TMA. As it turns out, the problem was MY fault because I used a USB extension cable and that was the problem due to timing issues. Anyway, I hear ya about support from India and outsourcing, but to be fair HP is not alone in that department.

For the stated purpose by the original poster of this thread, I think the HP is a fair suggestion. There's also a lot of assumptions that can be made about scanning that we don't know. Just like a good drum scan requires a competent operator, scanning from a flatbed requires some knowledge as well. You're more likely to get a crappy scan from a flatbed than from a drum or even something like the Imacon, but you can get very good scans and make quality prints at 16x20 and 20x24.

If the poster ends up with the HP, I would be more than happy to help him get started. Feel free to send me a PM. There are certainly caveats, the scanning sw is basic and you would probably need some recommendations on settings before getting started.

I would agree that the DR of the scanner is below par and depending on the types of images you are scanning this may or may not be a issue. I shoot pretty much all nature stuff and rarely have a situation where shadows are the main focus, but scanning any of the Velvia's on a scanner with low DR, well that should be a given that you won't be getting the best results.

Anyway, feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Lon

byronfry
17-Aug-2009, 19:07
Thanks Lon! When I get started I will send you a PM! Did you use the native software or use Vuescan, I already have Vuescan so I think I am going to start off that way.

Thanks again!

Flea77
17-Aug-2009, 19:26
I can get a new HP G4050 here for $210, which is closer to my price range. I comes with a 4x5 film holder and I am hoping it will do what I need. Does anyone have anything to say against this scanner?

First let me say I work for a company that is an authorized HP dealer (actually, I am one of the owners) so if anything, I am very pro HP.

I bought a G4050 for exactly the reasons you stated. I wanted something cheap and reasonable for online scans. Everything else went to a pro shop for drum scans. I bought the scanner early June, my third replacement is on it's way and should be here Wednesday.

1st. The software is garbage. It will not even do real B&W, only 256 shades. It is bloatware, and often will not connect to the scanner requiring a computer reboot. Be prepared to purchase extra software that does real B&W and has film presets like Silverfast $40-50

2nd. Their tech support is a pain. The second time I had to have the scanner replaced they insisted since it ran the self-test just fine that the software (both HP and Silverfast) on two separate computers must have been corrupted in exactly the same way, at exactly the same time.

I have since ordered a new (yes I know they haven't been made in years, but I still found a new one) Epson 4990 which should also be here Wednesday. If you insist on buying a G4050 PM me, I will make you a heck of a deal on the brand new unit they just shipped me (both scanner and TMA) still in their sealed packing, complete with a licensed copy of Silverfast 6.6 for the G4050, all accessories in the original box, with warranty from HP until June of next year (which may or may not be transferable), and I will even throw in a couple of USB cables.

Allan

Lon Overacker
17-Aug-2009, 21:26
I use the supplied software. It may be "bloatware," but it works. The software is more designed for the consumer pt-n-shoot crowd so I can understand the more technically focused folks here would have that opinion.

The HP software does have a histogram and the ability to adjust change, highlights, shadows and midtones. Color balance, sat adjustments, etc. Sharpening levels from None, low, med, high and "extreme." Of course I scan with none or low and prefer to do my own sharpening as appropriate later on and not rely on any scanning sw to do it.

I do have Vuescan, but haven't purchased the standard version so of course I can't do anything more than play around with it. I couldn't find a place to change the level of sharpening or whether or not it scans in 16bit. The HP does. But I installed the trial version and it recognized the scanner and I made a scan within a few minutes after installing Vuescan. I'm sure that will work if that's what you're used to.

In 2 1/2 years I've never had a problem with the scanner not connecting with the sw nor have I had to reboot the computer to recognize the scanner.

I have no doubt that Allan's experience is what he stated and I can say my experience is what I've written. In the end, the only way to validate either opinions is with your own experience. YMMV.

I have scanned b&w negs, although not that many. I didn't have any issues. As I mentioned, I'm scanning Fuji Velvia, mostly 100F of nature and landscape. Allan is correct that it only scans n 256 shades of gray. But I just pulled out an old b&w neg and scanned it as a color positive at 16bit, 1200ppi. Why not scan the b&w's in color and convert in PhotoShop?

Anyway, feel free to send me a note whatever you decide.
Lon

http://www.lonoveracker.com/temp/bridalveil.jpg

Flea77
18-Aug-2009, 05:09
In the end, the only way to validate either opinions is with your own experience. YMMV.

I completely agree! Like I said, I will make someone one heck of an offer on the whole package, just give me a PM!

Allan

venchka
18-Aug-2009, 06:16
I know Allan personally. He will do as he says.

I also know about the HP software not supporting 16 bit gray scale scans. I used the color transparency setting and converted in Photoshop. A PITA but manageable. Since moving to an Epson scanner and Epson Scan software I'm a much happier camper.

Lon: Very nice photograph and scan.