PDA

View Full Version : Source for Barrel Lens Mounting Flanges?

Jay Decker
16-Aug-2009, 15:41
Have a couple old barrel lenses without mounting flanges. So, I'm looking for the sources for lens mounting flanges? I have the lens identification data and thread outside diameter and thread pitch measurements. Just need to find someone with the right box of old lens mounting flanges or who can fabricate them.

Glenn Thoreson
16-Aug-2009, 19:58
S.K. Grimes makes them. Spendy but very nice professional work. If you have any long time camera dealers in your area, you might find something in their boxes and drawers of odds & ends.

Jay Decker
16-Aug-2009, 21:00
S.K. Grimes makes them. Spendy but very nice professional work. If you have any long time camera dealers in your area, you might find something in their boxes and drawers of odds & ends.

Thanks Glenn. The real camera stores have pretty much dried up and disappeared around where I live in south central Washington. So, I'm turning to the internet out of necessity. You are right about S.K. Grimes, all the SKG work I've seen is very high quality.

Carsten Wolff
17-Aug-2009, 08:07
If you e.g. have a shutter lying about that needs servicing, next time you send it off to Flutot's, include those barrels (without the glass). If you're lucky, Carol will have something that matches and won't cost the earth.

Ken Lee
17-Aug-2009, 09:25
You can have a look for local machine shops, and ask them to make some for you. If not, as Glenn has already pointed out, Grimes does know exactly what must be done, and does it perfectly. They will also mount the lens on a board and make you lens caps if you need them. I've done this for several older lenses.