PDA

View Full Version : Want to try different developer!

Paul O
16-Aug-2009, 05:10
I've been (religiously) using Ilford FP4+ but mostly Ilford Delta 100 films for a while now and whilst I am happy with results I am considering trying to develop them in a different brew - nothing like a change once in a while!

I've been using Paterson FX-39 with Delta 100 for 5x4 but now that I've moved to 5x7 format I'm using FP4+ film and wondered what developers people are using with this film? I plan on scanning with an Epson V700 in a Betterscanning holder.

I'm just interested in trying out something different - if it doesn't work ... who cares!

Any recommendations?

Bill_1856
16-Aug-2009, 05:27
You might try a PYRO developer for a significant change (ABC or PMK).

jnantz
16-Aug-2009, 05:59
you you could try a coffee based developer ...
cheap + fun!

Gem Singer
16-Aug-2009, 06:47
Sandy King's Pyrocat-HD + Ilford FP-4+ = "a combination made in heaven".

Especially when the negative is to be scanned

ki6mf
16-Aug-2009, 08:11
D 76 with a 1:2 dilution 1 part developer and 2 parts water. Do a time film test until you get a 14 minute development time!

Brian Ellis
16-Aug-2009, 08:55
Nothing to lose? You'll have to do your film speed and development time tests all over again. That alone would keep me from changing developers unless I had a good reason.

Donald Miller
16-Aug-2009, 09:29
You might try Harveys 777. Not many people use it but those that do swear by it. Images that I have seen where the negative was developed in 777 have incredibly smooth tonal gradations.

Beyond that if you contact print try the Michael Smith ABC pyro formula. Very, very nice...but probably too grainy for anything but large format negatives. I found that grain was apparent in a 11X14 enlargement from a 4X5 negative.

Pyrocat is a good developer. I use currently use it.

Donald Miller

George Hart
16-Aug-2009, 09:30
Paul, FWIW I use Perceptol 1+1 with FP4+ and I prefer the tonality that I get with this developer compared with ID-11 1+1. But as they say, YMMV…

George

Paul O
16-Aug-2009, 10:36
"You might try a PYRO developer for a significant change (ABC or PMK)." - I used Gordon Hutching's formula a while ago ... might be worth a re-visit?

"you you could try a coffee based developer ... cheap + fun!" - I used to use this as a demo at camera club talks I used to give ... great fun!

"Nothing to lose? You'll have to do your film speed and development time tests all over again. That alone would keep me from changing developers unless I had a good reason". A valid point but I do this as a hobby and simply feel like a change!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Robert Budding
17-Aug-2009, 16:46
I like XTOL.