PDA

View Full Version : Just received some old Agfa paper!

David Karp
15-Aug-2009, 21:57
I just met a family friend who was cleaning out his studio. He gave me a few packages of Brovira and Portriga Rapid, as well as some of Kodak Polyfiber.

In the old days, I always used Kodak papers, and these Agfa papers were gone when I came back to printing.

I am assuming that the papers are fogged and will dig out the Liquid Orthazite or benzotriazole. Any other suggestions?

paulr
15-Aug-2009, 22:13
Do you know what era the Portriga's from? In the 80s when I first got into photography, my teachers were crying over the end of the old portriga. That was my introduction to the medium: old guys crying over the irretrevable loss of the good stuff.

I got my hands a few sheets of it. Not enough to fully appreciate its charms, but I remember it having the prettiest surface of any photo paper I've seen.

IanG
15-Aug-2009, 22:51
Agfa warm tone papers don't respond well to Benzotriazole etc. Once fogged they don't revive.

You may be lucky I have Agfa Record Rapid from the 80's taht still works fine, but once they removed the Cadmium it kept less well.

Ian

Lee Christopher
16-Aug-2009, 06:23
OMG David!

I'm afraid I'm not able to help you, but am I allowed to CRY all over again?

Portiga and Rekod rapid (I didn't really use much Brovira) were my utmost favourite papers to work on. It actually made all the hassle of darkroom work in a place that was exceedingly not meant to be a darkroom with absolutely no ventilation all worth it!

Greg Lockrey
16-Aug-2009, 07:30
Brovira was my favorite back in the day. Used to develop it i Dektol between 4 and 5 minutes to eek a little extra detail out of the shadows.

Filmnut
16-Aug-2009, 07:55
Have you tested it yet? Try a small piece to see how it is, I have some old (80's??) Agfa paper that prints quite well.
Keith

EdWorkman
16-Aug-2009, 08:16
If you discover it is very far gone, and you don't mind a WTH, I have made successful prints [ with MANY tosses] with very long exposure and very VERY short development- so short that timing is all in the wrist and repeatability is hard to achieve- you have to start pulling just about as soon as the image begins to come up.
Yes it was all I had in a desperate time, and the neg was very contrasty, but I did get at least one print that was very good- perhaps it won't work for low or normal contrast negs?

David Karp
16-Aug-2009, 09:56
No testing yet. I won't have a chance to set up a temporary darkroom in the house (or get into the real darkroom about ten miles away that houses my enlarger) for at least a couple of weeks. I have a 5x7 that I want to contact print on the Portriga Rapid. I hope it is in good shape.

Doug Dolde
16-Aug-2009, 10:27
Will it fit your laser printer?

Dennis
16-Aug-2009, 14:00
Portriga was my favorite pre 1986 or so and did have a beautiful surface as well as great flexibility and beautiful deep tonality. If it is still close to good you can perk it up with careful bleaching. It would be worth the effort if you get it to work.
Dennis

Steve Sherman
16-Aug-2009, 16:49
Agfa warm tone papers don't respond well to Benzotriazole etc. Once fogged they don't revive.

You may be lucky I have Agfa Record Rapid from the 80's taht still works fine, but once they removed the Cadmium it kept less well.

Ian

Cadmium came out in late 1987 and yes not only did it not keep as well it was considerably weaker in low tonality contrast.

Pre '87 Portriga if stored properly will still produce prints of quality not readily seen today. I still have a considerable amount of Portriga dating back to the 70's that stills produces wonderful prints.

You can increase the gloss of the paper by force drying the paper while it is still moist, not dripping wet but quite moist, a short time in the micro wave or in my case with larger prints I pre heat the oven to around 200 and put in for about 60 - 90 seconds depending on how much moisture is still in the paper.

Do not use Benzotriazole to reduce fog, rather try Potassium Bromide in smaller amounts.

Cheers

jnantz
16-Aug-2009, 17:19
i received a bunch of agfa graded paper
and a few boxes of kodak polyfiber ..
if they are too fogged to print with
use them as paper negatives,
you will get BEAUTIFUL results.

have fun!

Jim Galli
16-Aug-2009, 21:45
i received a bunch of agfa graded paper
and a few boxes of kodak polyfiber ..
if they are too fogged to print with
use them as paper negatives,
you will get BEAUTIFUL results.

have fun!

What a GREAT idea. I never would have thought of that in a million years. A bit of fog is a good thing for paper negs that are always too contrasty! Good luck with it Dave. Have some fun. Full plate paper negs!

Allen in Montreal
16-Aug-2009, 21:56
I just met a family friend who was cleaning out his studio. He gave me a few packages of Brovira and Portriga Rapid.........

Some of my favorite older papers, along with Insignia.
I found the Ultra Black and Platinum gave better blacks than Dektol with this paper.
I still have a whack of Portriga in my freezer :--)

David Karp
16-Aug-2009, 22:02
What a GREAT idea. I never would have thought of that in a million years. A bit of fog is a good thing for paper negs that are always too contrasty! Good luck with it Dave. Have some fun. Full plate paper negs!

Yeah. It does sound like a great idea. Also some 5x7s. [Some one I know hooked me on those too! ;-)]

David Karp
16-Aug-2009, 22:03
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I will let you know what I get with these papers when I get a chance to do some printing.

PViapiano
16-Aug-2009, 22:20
Great suggestions above...!

I have boxes of old Agfa paper, some print beautifully esp the MC111, and semi-matte 118 (wow, wow, wow!).

Sometimes a slightly early pull and a bit of bleaching does the trick, other times it's tougher than that.

But sometimes the older stuff is great, actually more than great, with lith printing.

I can't help myself from buying old papers I come across...instead of GAS, I have PAS!

Jim Galli
16-Aug-2009, 22:33
Great suggestions above...!

I have boxes of old Agfa paper, some print beautifully esp the MC111, and semi-matte 118 (wow, wow, wow!).

Sometimes a slightly early pull and a bit of bleaching does the trick, other times it's tougher than that.

But sometimes the older stuff is great, actually more than great, with lith printing.

I can't help myself from buying old papers I come across...instead of GAS, I have PAS!

My wife will be the first to tell you that I PAS GAS.

jnantz
17-Aug-2009, 07:13
have fun! ;)

PViapiano
17-Aug-2009, 12:58
My wife will be the first to tell you that I PAS GAS.

After I wrote that, it crossed my mind that someone would reply with that comment!

Toyon
17-Aug-2009, 15:08
I have been able to get good results from paper that didn't respond to Benzo, by using Photographers' Formulary TAF1. Not sure what is in it though.

Gregg Cook
17-Aug-2009, 19:56
I love old agfa paper. I still keep a few sheets of brovira graded 5 or 6 somewhere.

It sepia tones beautifully.

David Karp
17-Aug-2009, 21:31
I am assuming that the Portriga tones nicely in selenium too.

Greg Lockrey
17-Aug-2009, 21:55
Brovira would have rich blacks with selenium and nice warm tones with sepia. You could actually see the image "pop" to 3d when it was in selenium, the tone otherwise was neutral. I miss that stuff...