PDA

View Full Version : Free National Park admission this weekend!

John Kasaian
13-Aug-2009, 11:56
http://www.nps.gov:80/findapark/feefreeparks.htm

'nuff said.:D

David Karp
13-Aug-2009, 12:01
Where are you going?

Scott Knowles
13-Aug-2009, 20:18
Gee, my annual pass gets me in free too, but then I've already paid for it. And if anyone goes to Mt. Rainier NP, I'd sure love to hear your experience.

Drew Wiley
14-Aug-2009, 13:58
Good weekend to stay away from the popular parks! I'm headed for Pt Reyes, which is
one nat'l park (Natl Seashore) where admission is always free!

Eric James
14-Aug-2009, 16:26
...And if anyone goes to Mt. Rainier NP, I'd sure love to hear your experience.

I went to Spray Park three weeks ago when the avalanche lilies were at peak. Last week the lilies were down to 10% of their former glory, and now they are probably all going to seed. Last week the lupine was quite good - peak or just pre-peak I would guess. Approximately 0.5 miles after you enter Spray Park from Mowich there is a stream just a few feet left (north) of the trail. Hop over the stream and travel north about 150 feet and the lupine fields will come into view. You'll also find a nice reflecting pond in that direction.

The evening light in Spray Park is fickle because of the ridge line to the north.

Have fun!

(The mosquitos were also at peak last week.)

John Kasaian
14-Aug-2009, 22:21
Where are you going?

Actually I just returned from the King Tut exhibit in SF!:o
Yosemite in October and the eastern sierras are in the cards if and when I get the time.

David Karp
15-Aug-2009, 09:36
Yosemite in October sounds great. I am hoping to be there in late December or early January.

John Kasaian
15-Aug-2009, 13:50
Yosemite in October sounds great. I am hoping to be there in late December or early January.

It has become sort of tradition (near tradition?) Columbus Day week end or there abouts depending on the calender is usually the close of the season for Camp 16 in Yosemite Valley. Beautiful weather, hardly any water in Yosemite Falls though, and on some parts of the Merced you can walk across it. Sometimes there's a bit of autumn color but---no crowds! The roads to Tuolumne and Glacier are still open too.
It's kind of a "last hurrah" until winter hits.
My family has camped in Yosemite Valley every summer since 1925 for two weeks (my grandfather's first car was a 1926 Buick bought just for the trips) until the 1970s when it became just too crowded, so now that I'm calling the shots, I moved the date to the autumn after school starts, so by neccesity we only get to go for a long week end---but oh what a long week end!:D

Of course I have plenty of other excuses for going to Yosemite during the year, but autumn is the "official" family camping trip---the kids look foreward to it!
Oh yeah---the mosquitos are generally scarce but other critters like foraging deer and bears are prevalent.

eddie
15-Aug-2009, 20:13
went to steam town in scranton Pa. stay tuned for pics....

Doug Dolde
15-Aug-2009, 21:56
Went to the Grand Canyon Wed and Thurs, it was a bit stormy. A fine break in otherwise clear weather. Flashed my annual pass but now I can get a lifetime pass for ten bucks. Turned 62 last month, probably the only good thing about it. No wait the social security, I almost forgot !

eddie
16-Aug-2009, 04:20
No wait the social security, I almost forgot !

they still have that!?!?!? :eek: