PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow Governor for Print Washer

brandonjscott
13-Aug-2009, 10:57
Does anybody know where I can purchase a one gallon water flow governor for my print washer's source water line? I can't seem to find one, but perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing.

TIA

Brandon

Don7x17
13-Aug-2009, 12:27
Does anybody know where I can purchase a one gallon water flow governor for my print washer's source water line? I can't seem to find one, but perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing.

TIA

Brandon

cheapest solution is to get a flowmeter, install it in your line and open/close the faucet to meet your flow rate....

http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/flowmeters.html

Delta makes one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/15619-REG/Delta_78110_Water_Flowmeter_I_1_2_.html

But I will say that you need to be careful not to overtighten when you pipe it --- I had one split at the end coupling several days after installation and dump lots of water...

brandonjscott
13-Aug-2009, 13:22
That helps. Thank you.

Brandon

jim kitchen
13-Aug-2009, 13:31
I did use a small two inch threaded vise clamp to govern the water flow through the outlet hose, which cost about $1CDN...

Took a while to set the flow rate, but it worked. :)

jim k

Keith Pitman
13-Aug-2009, 15:24
You can find flowmeters on Ebay. Make sure you get one for liquid and you know what type of threads it has. The brand I found was "King." It works like a prince!

Dan Schmidt
13-Aug-2009, 15:37
my water pressure in my apartment varies so I got a

Pressure-Compensating Orifice

from mcmaster.com

part no:

4762K41

$30.16 each

they different versions for different flow rates (gpm)

0.13, 0.19, 0.25, 0.35, 0.50, 0.75, 1

You will get these flow rates independent of pressure. Make sure not to install it backwards.

gary892
13-Aug-2009, 17:12
Brandon,
out of curiosity, what size print washer will you be using and what is the flow rate you want to achieve?

Gary

eli
13-Aug-2009, 18:03
You might try finding a reduction fitting to your faucet that reduces to 3/8th or 1/4 and then put a 'John Guest' petcock valve like the "SHUT-OFF VALVE POLYPRO MALE NPTF" found here: http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-500-john-guest-pp-range-white-polypropylene-fittings.aspx

I use these in my darkroom and they are nice for the small amount of water flow that I use. I use several lengths of tubing from the valve to trays and for washing reels in tanks as needed; they slide in and out of the fitting in half-a-second.

I'll point out that the valves themselves at a Home Depot or Lowes are about $3 and the tubing can be had by the foot.

Cheers, Eli

brandonjscott
13-Aug-2009, 19:45
Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I certianly have plenty of options.

Gary: My print washer is an 11 X 14 Versalab. My target flow rate is 1 GPM. I simply don't want to use more water than is necessary to obtain fully washed prints.

Brandon

Eric Woodbury
13-Aug-2009, 21:21
they make a little disk you put at the faucet that limits flow to various amounts. Sold at drip irrigation stores. A buck. They do 'whistle' a bit, so you'll need to turn up the radio.

MIke Sherck
14-Aug-2009, 06:15
I call my flow-rate limiter the "faucet" but things go all bonkers when someone flushes the toilet... :)

Fred L
14-Aug-2009, 06:37
My water panel came with a flow meter but it's minimal flow was way more than I needed for my Summitek washer so I removed it. It was also bloody noisy with the rattle of the ball during flow. I do like most others here and use the tap to regulate it. The washer uses about 250 ml per minute so I just adjust the tap until 250ml=1 minute.