PDA

View Full Version : Airport xrays and Film

Santo Roman
12-Aug-2009, 17:16
Just a quick thought or question. I'll be heading to Seattle for a month and a half and was not sure if I should pack my film in my carry on, my luggage or if I should send it priority mail from NJ? I've never traveled with my 4x5 until now and wanted to see what everyone thought I should do.

Thanks

santo

Joe O'Hara
12-Aug-2009, 17:54
Just a quick thought or question. I'll be heading to Seattle for a month and a half and was not sure if I should pack my film in my carry on, my luggage or if I should send it priority mail from NJ? I've never traveled with my 4x5 until now and wanted to see what everyone thought I should do.

Thanks

santo
Hi, Santo. I'm sure you'll get many responses to this. My experience is that if you pack your film in your carry-on luggage, you will not have trouble with the x-ray machines in the US. DO NOT pack it in your checked luggage. It will get nuked. I have no knowledge of what happens in the US mail. I have shipped undeveloped film to labs via Fedex without problems. Hope this helps.

Jim Michael
12-Aug-2009, 17:54
There are some recent threads on the subject which will show up in a search, however to satisfy my own curiosity I did an experiment with a calibrated radiation meter sent through a government x-ray scanner such as the type used in airports. The dosage measured was approximately the same as you will receive on your flight from NJ to WA, assuming you fly during the day at a cruise altitude of about 35,000 feet. So, trip to WA and back I wouldn't worry about it.

Just keep in mind that X-ray exposure is cumulative so several trips through the scanner might be detrimental to your shadows. They use much more powerful scanners for luggage screening so don't put your film in the checked baggage.

Gem Singer
12-Aug-2009, 17:55
If you have the time, by all means ship the film to your destination.

Less to carry onto the airplane and no worries about X-Ray damage.

Santo Roman
12-Aug-2009, 19:07
Thanks guys. I looked at some of the past threads but since it was a year ago I thought something might have changed. They will be going via USPS priority mail.

santo

Tom Keenan
14-Aug-2009, 17:34
For many years, I lived full time in Woodinville, WA and part time in Boston. I did my best to transport as little unexposed film as possible. You are fortunate in Seattle to have Glazer's Camera. Last time I was there, they were well stocked particularly 4x5 and they are nice knowledgeable people. You could bring no film and buy it when you get there.
Tom Keenan

jnantz
14-Aug-2009, 18:02
i have flown internationally
with a camera and boatload of film ..
as long as you have them in your carryon
you will have no trouble. i had film pass
through the scanners 6 times each way ( 12 times total ) without trouble ...

maybe domestic travel is different ? not sure ...

have a nice trip
john

ki6mf
14-Aug-2009, 18:11
I inadvertently loaded HP5 in my suitcase instead of shipping via ground transportation. I tested a shoot with both with non X Rayed film and normal film. We looked at the images and could clearly see the unexposed edge edge of the film has about 1.5 stops difference over the film that did not get X rayed. We did not test the film with a densitometer. If you need to ship via ground transportation. You can also carry on and ask for hand inspection. Allow for extra time with the TSA. Ship exposed film hone via ground freight and process normally.

Santo Roman
16-Aug-2009, 00:16
For many years, I lived full time in Woodinville, WA and part time in Boston. I did my best to transport as little unexposed film as possible. You are fortunate in Seattle to have Glazer's Camera. Last time I was there, they were well stocked particularly 4x5 and they are nice knowledgeable people. You could bring no film and buy it when you get there.
Tom Keenan

Funny you mention Woodinville, that's where my wife is from. Glazers is one place I really don't need to go! My friend Dante works there and he seems to get me to buy something used every damn time I enter the door.

santo

eddie
16-Aug-2009, 04:34
i always carry on my film...or ship it.

but i have accidentally send some through with the checked bags. all fine. go figure. oh! i know cause it was nothing important...

carry on or ship the film.