PDA

View Full Version : 90 F5.6 FUJINON SWD SEIKO B - should I worry? (... my first lens)

mortensen
12-Aug-2009, 15:09
Hi

I'm very new to all this, especially shutters, their history, performance etc etc. And to the lens at hand, a 90mm Fujinon SWD in Seiko B:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LF06999075274N&brandcategoryname=Large%20Format&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=59&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

It is rated as EX at KEH. Is there anything I should worry about a Seiko shutter? I've only seen the usual Copal in posts, so...

And btw. is there anyone who can recommend a great place in Europe to buy 2nd hand LF lenses? My local dealer has a Grandagon N f4.5 90mm at the moment at around 800 US$, which seems fair (considering danish 25% VAT is included...), but their selection is usually very limited.

Thanks,
lars

rdenney
12-Aug-2009, 16:07
Is there anything I should worry about a Seiko shutter? I've only seen the usual Copal in posts, so...

(There is hardly any place anywhere where you can find a good selection of LF lenses, except maybe BHPhoto in New York, and even then the selection may be limited.)

I would not worry about the Seiko shutter--they are completely competent. All the Mamiya C-series cameras used them, and those were quite reliable in my experience (much more reliable than the film transports in those cameras). There are some LF lenses, as you have found, that used them and I can't think of any reason why that would keep me from getting a lens I wanted. The lens you linked looks very nice, actually, and the price seems reasonable to me.

Rick "Copal is not necessarily the best just the last one standing" Denney

mortensen
12-Aug-2009, 16:16
well, that's a comfort :) thanks

I do, btw, find KEH's selection quite big... it's a shame everything is in the US, isn't it

Bob Salomon
12-Aug-2009, 16:31
There are lots of US dealers with lots of large format lenses for sale, new and used. Try E.P. Levine for one of the largest selections of lenses and film holders, Foto Care, Ltd, Quality Camera, Midwest camera, Glazers, Keeble & Shuchat, Bear Images, Cameras West, Samy's are a few to get you started. Then there is B&H, Adorama, Calumet, View Camera Store,KEH, OCC camera etc.

venchka
13-Aug-2009, 05:09
Many European members of this forum list lenses for sale right here. Watch the For Sale listings.

mortensen
13-Aug-2009, 05:18
thanks for the updates, Bob and Wayne - I'll be on the lookout...

Don Dudenbostel
13-Aug-2009, 06:48
I've got a couple of lenses in Seiko shutters and have no complaint. They're accurate and durable.

Bob Salomon
13-Aug-2009, 06:56
There are lots of US dealers with lots of large format lenses for sale, new and used. Try E.P. Levine for one of the largest selections of lenses and film holders, Foto Care, Ltd, Quality Camera, Midwest camera, Glazers, Keeble & Shuchat, Bear Images, Cameras West, Samy's are a few to get you started. Then there is B&H, Adorama, Calumet, View Camera Store,KEH, OCC camera etc.

Forgot to add Rod at PhotoMark!